Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-08-2007, 08:04 AM   #16
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O. View Post
Now, now, no one called anyone an idiot. Everybody who posts here disagrees with most of what you write about the Eagles, but that's been a given for years now. I'm sorry if you felt attacked by my last post, but all I was trying to do was express civil disagreement.

Was I singling you out? I didn't think I was anyway - and I wasn't intending to.

Quote:
I thought the McCarthy hiring was a very odd choice. But I'm not sure how it relates to Cottrell.

If it wasn't for glaring double standards like this, there would be no need for the "Rooney Rule."

Quote:
I'm not entirely sure what you're talking about here, but it seems like the first part refers to strength of schedule. The team's schedule this season has not been significantly tougher than last year's: opponents so far this year are 77-68 (.531), compared to last season's 117-139 (.457). The schedule is harder, but not by a ton. This year's AFC West is extremely weak, and if you take out the one game against New England, San Diego's opponents actually combine for a losing record (65-68).

Take it from someone who has followed schedule trends closely for more than 30 years: An .074 difference is a massive shift in schedule difficulty! It is only marginally less than the difference between the most difficult and least difficult schedules in the whole league in a typical year. And the state of the AFC West has nothing to do with it, since the Chargers obviously also competed in that division last year; it's the strength of the eight opponents they have/are playing this year that they didn't play last year that has changed.

Quote:
Hey, I like to see down-the-field throws, too. But you've been calling for Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb to exit stage left ever since I joined the boards in 2002. In that time, the Eagles are 58-34. McNabb has made 3 Pro Bowls. Reid has been named Coach of the Year. McNabb has thrown 111 TDs and only 46 interceptions. That doesn't even include his 16 rushing TDs. The Eagles have gone 5-2 in postseason home games -- the ones a team is "supposed" to win. They've made three conference championship games and a Super Bowl.

On average, a team should only the win the Super Bowl about three times per century -- once every 32 years. To criticize a coach who has been as consistently successful as Reid, or an elite quarterback who might be headed for Canton if he ever stays healthy, is to hold the team to a ridiculously high standard.

Here you suffer from the same syndrome that the neoconservatives have when setting Middle East policy: Just as they are making policy decisions based on what they would like the Middle East to be rather than the way it actually is, you're looking at this from the perspective of the way people ought to think about sports teams, etc., rather than the way they actually do in this first decade of the 21st Century.

In this day and age, if you didn't win the Super Bowl then you might as well have been the '76 Buccaneers, and if you didn't win the World Series you might as well have been the '62 Mets. A team gets no credit for being a runner-up or a semifinalist; indeed, they are reviled for being a bunch of "choke artists." Personally I think this mind-set sucks, and I've said so, time and again on these boards, particularly when discussing baseball - yet at the same time, I acknowledge that my view (which happens to be essentially the same as yours) is the minority view, and has been for quite some time now (as I recall from that ESPN TV movie, Dale Earnhardt Sr. made his famous quote that "second place is the first loser" in the early 1970s, and Ken Stabler's "If you don't win the big one, the rest ain't worth a damn" quote dates from slightly later than that).

But you can't deny that the Eagles' front office has been in a perpetual state of denial about the wide receiver position for a very long time - in fact, before Andy Reid was out of middle school, and before Donovan McNabb was even born. Yet there has been no meaningful change in the failed policies since they came upon the scene - and McNabb is primarily, if not exclusively, responsible for getting the one decent receiver they have had since that time thrown off the team.

Despite having more than their share of Pro Bowl offensive linemen, the Eagles went 21 consecutive years - from 1982 through 2002, all inclusive - of allowing more sacks than the league average, and this despite having some of the most mobile QBs in the league during that span. The one common denominator was the constant lack of speed at wide receiver, leading to coverage sacks and increased blitzing by opposing defenses. You'd think that after more than two decades of this, someone would have wised up?

Allowing Donte' Stallworth to depart, and offering the same money they refused to give him to a career bench-warmer with a lifetime 12-YPC average as of then, is living proof that they still don't get it.

Last edited by Anthony; 12-08-2007 at 08:32 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2007, 04:46 PM   #17
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

You know, Anthony, I agree with almost everything from your last post.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
If it wasn't for glaring double standards like this, there would be no need for the "Rooney Rule."
I agree. McCarthy is obviously enjoying some success this season, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was fair or reasonable for the Packers to hire him initially. The worst in recent memory, IMHO, was the 49ers' hire of Dennis Erickson a few years ago.

Quote:
Take it from someone who has followed schedule trends closely for more than 30 years: An .074 difference is a massive shift in schedule difficulty! It is only marginally less than the difference between the most difficult and least difficult schedules in the whole league in a typical year.
I know that .074 is a pretty big shift, but I think it's a little misleading in this case. The Chargers started 0-1 when they were scheduled against New England, who appears unbeatable. The other teams they've played are 65-68 (.489), which is not a huge jump in difficulty. This is especially true when you consider that the Chargers themselves appear worse this season. Take out their 14-2 mark against last year's opponents and those teams were 115-125 (.479). Subtract 7-4 (this is not including the Patriots) from this year's mark, and opponents are 61-61 (.500), plus one built-in loss. I know .021 isn't nothing, but it doesn't explain 10th to 20th in total defense.

Quote:
And the state of the AFC West has nothing to do with it, since the Chargers obviously also competed in that division last year; it's the strength of the eight opponents they have/are playing this year that they didn't play last year that has changed.
Last year's AFC West included -- besides a terrific San Diego team -- a wildcard KC (9-7), a playoff contender in Denver (9-7), and the worst team in the NFL (2-14 Oakland). This season, the Chiefs are 4-8, the Broncos are 5-7, and the Raiders, while marginally improved, still suck (4-8).

It's overly simplistic, I think, to attribute that exclusively to the division's scheduling. The 2006 NFC West was miserable, but the AFC North was probably the strongest division in the league, with the 13-3 Ravens, playoff contenders in the Bengals and Steelers, and a Browns team that was at least a little better than its 4-12 record suggests.

This year's NFC North is not miserable, but the Lions, Vikings, and Bears -- all at or below .500 -- are hardly the '78 Steelers. And while the AFC South is terrific, I don't know that it's appreciably better than last year's AFC North.

The problems lie in the AFC West itself. The Raiders are still awful, and that offense requires a total overhaul of its personnel. The Broncos have struggled with injuries and consistency, and I think they miss Al Wilson. Kansas City's offense has simply disappeared. Those things go beyond having to play the Packers and Colts.

Quote:
A team gets no credit for being a runner-up or a semifinalist; indeed, they are reviled for being a bunch of "choke artists." Personally I think this mind-set sucks, and I've said so, time and again on these boards, particularly when discussing baseball - yet at the same time, I acknowledge that my view (which happens to be essentially the same as yours) is the minority view, and has been for quite some time now (as I recall from that ESPN TV movie, Dale Earnhardt Sr. made his famous quote that "second place is the first loser" in the early 1970s, and Ken Stabler's "If you don't win the big one, the rest ain't worth a damn" quote dates from slightly later than that).
Unfortunately, many people do see things that way. I am not one of them. I'd rather see a team make the playoffs every season, never winning the big one, than win the Super Bowl once and go 5-11 for the next six years. It does seem to be a minority view.

Quote:
But you can't deny that the Eagles' front office has been in a perpetual state of denial about the wide receiver position for a very long time
This is the only Eagles-related point I can recall us agreeing on. The team needs to invest in quality receivers and a power running back. Right now too much rests on the shoulders of McNabb and Westbrook, and while those guys are exceedingly talented, they can't do it by themselves.

Quote:
McNabb is primarily, if not exclusively, responsible for getting the one decent receiver they have had since that time thrown off the team.
We differ on this point. Terrell Owens was a time bomb, and I don't think his explosion was McNabb's fault. It is worth pointing out that the team was just as successful without Owens -- three straight NFC Championships before he joined the team, and making it to the Super Bowl while he was injured -- as it was during his brief tenure with the team.

Quote:
Despite having more than their share of Pro Bowl offensive linemen, the Eagles went 21 consecutive years - from 1982 through 2002, all inclusive - of allowing more sacks than the league average, and this despite having some of the most mobile QBs in the league during that span. The one common denominator was the constant lack of speed at wide receiver, leading to coverage sacks and increased blitzing by opposing defenses. You'd think that after more than two decades of this, someone would have wised up?
I agree. The lack of talent at the wide receiver position has been and continues to be a major problem for McNabb in particular.

I do think Kevin Curtis shows some promise, and I don't think you've given him enough credit. He's 12th in the NFL with 904 receiving yards and 10th in receiving average (among players with at least 30 receptions) at 16.1. He's 11th in catches for 20 yards or more (12) and 6th in catches for 40 yards or more (4).

.................rec yd....avg.....20+
Curtis
Berrian
L.Evans
Stallworth

I even think Reggie Brown can be a solid third receiver. But they do need a #1 guy. We've seen this year what Tom Brady can do when surrounded by top receiving talent. McNabb has had that opportunity only once, in 2004, and he responded with a career year. I've said many times before, and will now say again, that the Eagles have done McNabb a tremendous disservice by not giving him better personnel to work with. A top receiver and a short-distance finisher at RB could make an enormous positive difference for Philadelphia's offense.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2007, 04:20 AM   #18
Anthony

Quote:
You know, Anthony, I agree with almost everything from your last post.

I agree. McCarthy is obviously enjoying some success this season, but that doesn't necessarily mean it was fair or reasonable for the Packers to hire him initially. The worst in recent memory, IMHO, was the 49ers' hire of Dennis Erickson a few years ago.

But unless the Packers' front office had clairvoyant powers 18 months ago - and the Eagles' front office had those same powers back in 1999 - you have to admit that it doesn't look good when McCarthy - up to that point a proven failure as an offensive coordinator, and Reid - who as of the spring of 1999 had never been so much as a high-school-level coordinator in his entire life - got hired as head coaches, while Sherm Lewis then - who was Reid's immediate boss in Green Bay since he was their offensive coordinator - and Ted Cottrell more recently, were passed up.

It is rather obvious that Dr. King's dream is a long way from becoming a reality.

Quote:
I know that .074 is a pretty big shift, but I think it's a little misleading in this case. The Chargers started 0-1 when they were scheduled against New England, who appears unbeatable. The other teams they've played are 65-68 (.489), which is not a huge jump in difficulty. This is especially true when you consider that the Chargers themselves appear worse this season. Take out their 14-2 mark against last year's opponents and those teams were 115-125 (.479). Subtract 7-4 (this is not including the Patriots) from this year's mark, and opponents are 61-61 (.500), plus one built-in loss. I know .021 isn't nothing, but it doesn't explain 10th to 20th in total defense.

Whether or not it accounts for the decline in statistical rankings may be one thing, but over the last five years the two or three teams that have taken the biggest jump in strength of schedule from one year to the next, based on the standings of "the season before" (the subject of the annual chart that I post here within a few days after the end of the regular season) have all had nightmare seasons the following year. San Diego's rise - also taken by Baltimore and the Jets - was "only" .047, when .060 to .070 is more frequent; but doesn't that only serve to strengthen the theory, given the havoc that .047 increase is wreaking on all three teams?

Quote:
Unfortunately, many people do see things that way. I am not one of them. I'd rather see a team make the playoffs every season, never winning the big one, than win the Super Bowl once and go 5-11 for the next six years. It does seem to be a minority view.

But if you're the owner of a team you have to go after the 18-to-34 demographic - not the 55-to-84 demographic - since that's where your customers are, and that's where the money is (when was the last time you saw a septuagenarian wearing a brand new LaDainian Tomlinson replica jersey?). Yet Jeffrey Lurie is clearly not doing this: So long as all of the Eagles' home games aren't at 1:00 on Sunday afternoon, the fans aren't coming to the stadium wearing bags over their heads (or not showing up at all), and the announcers aren't J.C. Pearson and Matt Vasgersian, he's satisfied.

Quote:
This is the only Eagles-related point I can recall us agreeing on. The team needs to invest in quality receivers and a power running back. Right now too much rests on the shoulders of McNabb and Westbrook, and while those guys are exceedingly talented, they can't do it by themselves.

Here you actually go a bit further than I do. Right now, on the Eagles Message Board - where I am registered under the all-too-appropriate screen name "Bill Slowsky" - there are these knuckleheads suggesting that the Eagles go after Chad Johnson, Larry Fitzgerald or Roy Williams in a trade, even if it means giving up two first-round draft picks. And this might surprise you, but I'm dead-set against such foolishness - mainly because I remember the Mike McCormack Follies of the 1970s, and how it cost Dick Vermeil at the absolute least one Super Bowl championship, and quite possibly an outright dynasty.

But my problem with the Eagles front office regarding the wide receiver situation is this: While they are perfectly willing to invest middle-round draft picks (Billy McMullen, Jason Avant) and certainly mid-priced if not higher, free-agent money (Jabar Gaffney, Kevin Curtis) on possession receivers, they have not shown the same willingness to do it for speed receivers (why didn't they draft Yamon Figurs this past year, or pursue even someone like Andre Davis in free agency?). It's patently obvious that they don't think that having speed at wide receiver is important, despite 30 years' worth of overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

As for the power back thing, they did draft Tony Hunt in the third round this year - a move I openly applauded. But he's not even being activated on game day most of the time despite having no injuries to speak of, and that's puzzling. Maybe if he had been in there the Eagles would have scored a touchdown on that final drive in the first half last Sunday against Seattle.

Quote:
We differ on this point. Terrell Owens was a time bomb, and I don't think his explosion was McNabb's fault. It is worth pointing out that the team was just as successful without Owens -- three straight NFC Championships before he joined the team, and making it to the Super Bowl while he was injured -- as it was during his brief tenure with the team.

Well how come that time bomb hasn't exploded in the face of Wade Phillips - who, as a white Southern, "Bubba" type, one figures would be very negatively predisposed to someone like T.O.?

And what about Donte' Stallworth, who wasn't anything even close to a "time bomb"? Had McNabb not been selfish and inconsiderate by nature and offered to restructure his obscenely bloated contract (the way Tom Brady stepped forward voluntarily and did a couple of years back), Stallworth would still be an Eagle, and McNabb would have been sacked at least 15 fewer times - and very possibly would not have gotten injured in the Miami game - and they would likely be 8-4 right now instead of 5-7.

Quote:
I agree. The lack of talent at the wide receiver position has been and continues to be a major problem for McNabb in particular.

I do think Kevin Curtis shows some promise, and I don't think you've given him enough credit. He's 12th in the NFL with 904 receiving yards and 10th in receiving average (among players with at least 30 receptions) at 16.1. He's 11th in catches for 20 yards or more (12) and 6th in catches for 40 yards or more (4).

.................rec yd....avg.....20+
Curtis
Berrian
L.Evans
Stallworth

I even think Reggie Brown can be a solid third receiver. But they do need a #1 guy. We've seen this year what Tom Brady can do when surrounded by top receiving talent. McNabb has had that opportunity only once, in 2004, and he responded with a career year. I've said many times before, and will now say again, that the Eagles have done McNabb a tremendous disservice by not giving him better personnel to work with. A top receiver and a short-distance finisher at RB could make an enormous positive difference for Philadelphia's offense.

You can reel off all the stats you want about Kevin Curtis. The truth is that defensive backs - and defensive coordinators - around the league have absolutely no respect for Curtis: Hence the aggressive, bump-and-run coverage at the line of scrimmage one has seen in essentially every Eagles game this year, when they were not employing this strategy last season when Stallworth was there - and before he got injured, McNabb was having an even better season in 2006 than he had in 2004, in that he was averaging 14.71 yards per completion, which was not only far and away the highest such figure in 2006, but would have been the highest average any NFL team had hung up in an entire season in more than a decade.

And Reggie Brown is a total no-hoper. Bernard Berrian would represent a massive upgrade - let's see them try that bump-and-run garbage with Berrian's 4.25 in there instead of Brown's 4.55.

Last edited by Anthony; 12-09-2007 at 04:44 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 01:28 AM   #19
Brad O.

Quote:
But unless the Packers' front office had clairvoyant powers 18 months ago - and the Eagles' front office had those same powers back in 1999 - you have to admit that it doesn't look good when McCarthy - up to that point a proven failure as an offensive coordinator, and Reid - who as of the spring of 1999 had never been so much as a high-school-level coordinator in his entire life - got hired as head coaches, while Sherm Lewis then - who was Reid's immediate boss in Green Bay since he was their offensive coordinator - and Ted Cottrell more recently, were passed up.

It is rather obvious that Dr. King's dream is a long way from becoming a reality.
I don't find anything to disagree with here, except to reiterate that as much as I'm an advocate of minority hiring -- it's shameful how long Marvin Lewis and Lovie Smith waited for HC jobs -- I don't think Cottrell is head coach material. I think the Niners' hiring of Erickson a few years back -- because John York was more "comfortable" with the white Erickson than with the leading minority candidates -- exemplifies the problem.

Quote:
But if you're the owner of a team you have to go after the 18-to-34 demographic - not the 55-to-84 demographic - since that's where your customers are, and that's where the money is (when was the last time you saw a septuagenarian wearing a brand new LaDainian Tomlinson replica jersey?). Yet Jeffrey Lurie is clearly not doing this: So long as all of the Eagles' home games aren't at 1:00 on Sunday afternoon, the fans aren't coming to the stadium wearing bags over their heads (or not showing up at all), and the announcers aren't J.C. Pearson and Matt Vasgersian, he's satisfied.
I certainly understand why you think this way, but I don't agree. I think fans would rather have some hope -- make the playoffs every year, win your home games -- than win a title and then become the Cardinals for the next five seasons.

Quote:
Well how come that time bomb hasn't exploded in the face of Wade Phillips - who, as a white Southern, "Bubba" type, one figures would be very negatively predisposed to someone like T.O.?
I think there's a lot of evidence to suggest that T.O. has matured in the past few years, and Phillips, by all accounts, has done a terrific job of handling Owens.

Quote:
And what about Donte' Stallworth, who wasn't anything even close to a "time bomb"? Had McNabb not been selfish and inconsiderate by nature and offered to restructure his obscenely bloated contract (the way Tom Brady stepped forward voluntarily and did a couple of years back), Stallworth would still be an Eagle, and McNabb would have been sacked at least 15 fewer times - and very possibly would not have gotten injured in the Miami game - and they would likely be 8-4 right now instead of 5-7.
I'm not familiar with any of the contract specifics, but I did find it puzzling that the Eagles let Stallworth leave.

I don't share your enthusiasm for Bernard Berrian. I think he's a #2 receiver and not a clear upgrade over Curtis.
Old 12-12-2007, 04:10 AM   #20
Anthony

Quote:
I don't find anything to disagree with here, except to reiterate that as much as I'm an advocate of minority hiring -- it's shameful how long Marvin Lewis and Lovie Smith waited for HC jobs -- I don't think Cottrell is head coach material. I think the Niners' hiring of Erickson a few years back -- because John York was more "comfortable" with the white Erickson than with the leading minority candidates -- exemplifies the problem.

Well a lot of teams did, since Cottrell got quite a few serious interviews; but he always lost out, and every time to a white candidate.

Quote:
I certainly understand why you think this way, but I don't agree. I think fans would rather have some hope -- make the playoffs every year, win your home games -- than win a title and then become the Cardinals for the next five seasons.

You act like it's either/or and there's no in-between. What about the Ravens? In the six full seasons since winning the Super Bowl in 2000, Baltimore has made three playoff appearances, has had four winning seasons, and zero last-place finishes in the AFC North (although that latter might change this year).

Quote:
I think there's a lot of evidence to suggest that T.O. has matured in the past few years, and Phillips, by all accounts, has done a terrific job of handling Owens.

How can one "mature" so dramatically between the ages of 31 and 34? If it was 18 vs. 21 we were talking about here, you might have a case.

The truth is that Jeffrey Lurie, Joe Banner, Andy Reid and Donovan McNabb (in stark contrast to Jerry Jones, Wade Phillips and Tony Romo) don't have a clue about how to treat a fellow human being - and that's why T.O. is now lighting it up for a division rival.

Quote:
I don't share your enthusiasm for Bernard Berrian. I think he's a #2 receiver and not a clear upgrade over Curtis.
But it isn't Kevin Curtis that Berrian would be replacing. It's Reggie Brown - and comparing Bernard Berrian with Reggie Brown is like comparing an F-15 fighter jet to the contraption the Red Baron flew during World War I.

And there are rumors that the Bills are going to do the same thing this spring with Lee Evans that they did last spring with Willis McGahee - in which case the Eagles could have Evans for the same second-round pick Buffalo accepted from Baltimore for McGahee. And while you may not agree with my comparative observation about Bernard Berrian vs. Reggie Brown, thinking that Lee Evans wouldn't be a clear upgrade over Reggie Brown isn't an opinion - it's a delusion.

Last edited by Anthony; 12-12-2007 at 04:47 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:05 AM   #21
Brad O.

Quote:
Well a lot of teams did, since Cottrell got quite a few serious interviews; but he always lost out, and every time to a white candidate.
I don't know how to state this any more clearly. I agree with you about the hiring of minority coaches, and I think some truly shameful hirings have occurred, but I just don't feel that Cottrell is one of the people who has been unjustly overlooked.

Quote:
You act like it's either/or and there's no in-between. What about the Ravens? In the six full seasons since winning the Super Bowl in 2000, Baltimore has made three playoff appearances, has had four winning seasons, and zero last-place finishes in the AFC North (although that latter might change this year).
My brother-in-law is a Ravens fan, and I think he'd be the first to tell you that while Baltimore has made the playoffs a couple of times, they haven't been a genuine contender since that Super Bowl win, never advancing past the divisional round of the playoffs, and I will be the first to tell you that the 2000 Ravens were lucky to get their title and are far and away the worst Super Bowl winner in history.

Quote:
How can one "mature" so dramatically between the ages of 31 and 34? If it was 18 vs. 21 we were talking about here, you might have a case.
Probably by acting like a 12-year-old when you're 31.

Quote:
But it isn't Kevin Curtis that Berrian would be replacing. It's Reggie Brown - and comparing Bernard Berrian with Reggie Brown is like comparing an F-15 fighter jet to the contraption the Red Baron flew during World War I.
Is that right? I certainly agree that Berrian -- whom I labeled a #2 receiver -- would represent an upgrade over Brown, whom I called a #3. If Berrian would be replacing McNabb, however, I'd have to disagree. That's a sucker's trade.

Quote:
And there are rumors that the Bills are going to do the same thing this spring with Lee Evans that they did last spring with Willis McGahee - in which case the Eagles could have Evans for the same second-round pick Buffalo accepted from Baltimore for McGahee. And while you may not agree with my comparative observation about Bernard Berrian vs. Reggie Brown, thinking that Lee Evans wouldn't be a clear upgrade over Reggie Brown isn't an opinion - it's a delusion.
I like Evans quite a bit. He's better than any receiver -- except maybe Brian Westbrook -- on Philadelphia's roster.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:00 AM   #22
Anthony

Quote:
My brother-in-law is a Ravens fan, and I think he'd be the first to tell you that while Baltimore has made the playoffs a couple of times, they haven't been a genuine contender since that Super Bowl win, never advancing past the divisional round of the playoffs, and I will be the first to tell you that the 2000 Ravens were lucky to get their title and are far and away the worst Super Bowl winner in history.

Whether they were "lucky" or not is irrelevant; and any resemblance between the Ravens since then and say, the Arizona Cardinals over the same span, is purely coincidental. And the 2000 Ravens were not better than the lousy, 10-6 49ers of 1988 - who, in addition to their mediocre record, allowed far and away the most sacks of any SB champion ever (47)?

Quote:
Is that right? I certainly agree that Berrian -- whom I labeled a #2 receiver -- would represent an upgrade over Brown, whom I called a #3. If Berrian would be replacing McNabb, however, I'd have to disagree. That's a sucker's trade.

Such a trade would never actually occur because Berrian will be an unrestricted free agent in March; the Eagles would be looking for draft picks in exchange for McNabb, which could then be used to defray the cost of acquiring Lee Evans from Buffalo (and make the latter deal more likely) if it came to that. But replace Reggie Brown with either Bernard Berrian or Lee Evans and you would open up all kinds of opportunities underneath; and quite possibly Kevin Curtis could ease into the same role Wes Welker has in New England - a role for which Curtis would be extremely well suited.

Quote:
I like Evans quite a bit. He's better than any receiver -- except maybe Brian Westbrook -- on Philadelphia's roster.

But does anyone in the Eagles' front office recognize this?

And I say a season-ending six-game losing streak would spell the end for Andy Reid - just as a season-ending seven-game skid doomed Rich Kotite in 1994; and possible future Eagle Lee Evans could have a big say in whether or not that happens - for the Bills are at Philadelphia in the season finale, which is the only remaining game the Eagles have any realistic chance of winning, and then only if the Bills are out of the AFC playoff picture by then (a loss in Cleveland this Sunday would effectively eliminate Buffalo - and would mathematically do so if the Titans also lose, for what would be the sixth time in their last seven games against Kansas City).
Old 12-16-2007, 06:58 PM   #23
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

vandal_88 is on a distinguished road

Wow... I can't believe not a single person has mentioned Mike Smith (Defensive Coordinator - Jacksonville Jaguars) ... or Mike Tice (Offensive Assistant/Assistant Head Coach - Jacksonville Jaguars)
Old 12-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #24
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Mike Tice had his shot... he sucks as a HC.
Old 12-17-2007, 01:43 PM   #25
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
Mike Tice had his shot... he sucks as a HC.
No, he's a very good head coach. He might be a bad head coach off the field and outside the locker room, but on Sundays, he's very legit.
Old 12-17-2007, 02:04 PM   #26
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I disagree vandal that Minnesota team had too much talent to miss the playoffs like they did when he was there.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:18 PM   #27
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

What are you talking about? He made the post-season twice in three years and won seven of his last nine in his final season... Daunte Culpepper had one of the more memorable seasons for a QB in recent history under Tice's offense, and I don't think that defense was as good as everybody thought it was... Their team's talent was overrated and because of that, Tice was looked at as being an underachiever.
Old 01-26-2008, 12:19 PM   #28
vandal_88
albert belle swagger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal_88 View Post
Wow... I can't believe not a single person has mentioned Mike Smith (Defensive Coordinator - Jacksonville Jaguars)
I believe I said this over a month ago...