Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-10-2002, 03:07 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Coaches poll is out, and there's trouble already...

Ok, let me get this straight. We have two undefeated teams left, Miami and Ohio St. Ok, they are one and two in the polls and will be in the BCS on Monday. Forget all the outrage over the fact that Ohio St. will proably be ranked number one in the BCS on Monday. It doesn't matter, cause if those two teams win out, they go to the Championship anyway, so that is no big deal. The real trouble begins after those two undefeated teams. I saw this one coming a mile away. Here we have several one loss teams after Miami and Ohio St. and who is number three in the coaches poll this morning ? Why Texas of course. This ranking is completely outrageous. Out of all the one loss teams, only one, Washington St., had their loss come to one of the two remaining undefeateds ( Ohio St. ). It is so plain to see that Washington St. is clearly the number three team in the nation. Texas actually picked up a couple of points on Washington St. in the coaches poll after defeating hapless Baylor, while Washington St. beat then number 15 Oregon soundly. How in the world can this be ? Add to the fact that Texas' only defeat came to a team that lost yesterday ( Oklahoma), while Washington States' only defeat came to a team that won yesterday ( Ohio St.) This only strengthens Washington State and their right as number 3 in the country. Now, take this into consideration. Let's say everyone wins out in the top ten, with the exception of Miami. Then we have one undefeated ( Ohio St. ) and many one loss teams. Clearly Washington St. should be number two due to the fact that their only loss came to Ohio St. I believe that the BCS would not allow that too occur though and here is why. The Rose Bowl would be EXTREMELY DISPLEASED to see a PAC 10 AND A BIG 10 National Title Game take place outside of Pasadena. As we know, the Rose Bowl has put up the most resistance to the BCS and it's rediculous ways. If Ohio St. and Washington St. would meet for the title and Iowa played USC in Pasedena, you could surely bet that the people at the Rose Bowl would become an even louder voice for the demise of the BCS and it's money driven ways. Now, we have to wait until Monday to see exactly where Washington State is in the BCS. They have already been dealt a blow this morning by the coaches poll, and I suspect the AP will have Texas ahead of them as well and therefore, the BCS will follow suit. As it stands now, the Rose Bowl is no doubt wishing for both Iowa and Ohio St. to LOSE a game resulting in a Ohio St. vs Washington St. rematch in Pasedena. I hope the Rose Bowl ends up with Iowa and begins to rock the boat even more in the land of BCS and it's money power.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 03:18 PM   #2
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

There are still many problems with the BCS. I agree that Washington State should be ranked over Texas and I bet the computers will show that in the upcoming BCS poll. Plus if Washington State is ranked higher it helps OSU in the BCS and possibly securing the #1 spot..
Old 11-10-2002, 03:58 PM   #3
Shock1011
All-Star Player

Shock1011 is on a distinguished road

W St. Should be ranked 3rd...And I think ND should be ranked above USC, but no higher.
Shock1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 04:24 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

It's good to see you two guys agree, but I disagree with you Nick that Wash St. will be ahead of Texas in the BCS on Monday. We have one poll that has Texas ahead and I bet Washington St. won't be ahead of Texas in the AP either, thus putting Washington St. no higher than number 4 in the BCS. As far as Ohio St. and the BCS is concerned, there is no need for worry. As long as the Buckeyes win out, they are in... PERIOD. I don't care if they are number one or two in the BCS if both Miami and Ohio St. win out, cause it doesn't matter. No one loss team can catch the Buckeyes if they take care of Illinois and Michigan. I also agree that Notre Dame should be higher than USC, but they play coming up, so that debate will be settled on the field, thank God.
Old 11-10-2002, 05:00 PM   #5
Shock1011
All-Star Player

Shock1011 is on a distinguished road

Yeah that's true...Pluse that poll doesn't matter..It's only the BCS and I don't think USC is ranked higher then ND..It is really messed up now..I think that it may be OH and Miami in the Fiesta bowl..And for the Orange it really all depends if ND is 11-1 they will supposedly be the first picked, I also heard that they really want a TX and ND to end up together. I think for the Sugar Georgia will be probley be in..And whoever the SEC champ is..Rose is leaning toward Iowa if Ohio state goes to Fiesta then whoever is the pac 10 champ which will prb be Wash. What I have heard is that if ND and TX do not lose another game orange bowl will probley take them both..
Shock1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2002, 06:37 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

And now things get more interesting with the release of the AP poll, which has Washington State at number 3, just two points ahead of Texas and Oklahoma who are tied. This was unexpected by me, but I have to admit, it makes the BCS more interesting.
Old 11-10-2002, 07:16 PM   #7
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

buckeyefan78 welcome to the board. I agree with alot of your post. Especially the entire Washington St/Texas issue. But remember as I have stated before on here. The coaches generally do not do the voting in the coaches polls. The schools SID's do. When they vote, there emphasis is on there conference and non league opponents first and then there opponents(all of this helps in SOS), they then will take the time to down vote the nearest teams that are ranked closest to there conference teams. Believe you can rest assured there is not one Big 12 school who is voting Washington State even in the top 5, they will look out for each other first. There in lies the first problem with the BCS. There is no honorable man in this system.

On to the Rose Bowl. One thing that wont happen though, is the Rose being upset by any match up, specifically if USC is involved. USC as you probably know has won more Rose Bowls then anyone(20, including a 4-2 record against the Buckeyes....lol), there history in the Rose Bowl is unmatched. They also have more bowl wins then any university in the country except Alabama. But more then that, the Rose ALWAYS makes money regardless of who is playing in that game. They have sold out every Rose Bowl since they went to the Pac 10/Big 10 match ups in 1947. This is the real reason that the Rose people do not like the BCS, they were already far and away the most prominent and successful bowl game out there, why would they want a change in the old system?

Now we already know there is no way the BCS system will alllow a Pac 10 team in the game. We witnessed it last year(oregon) and 2 years ago when Washington was conveniently looked over in favor of FSU, who lost to Miami, who had lost to Washington. All 3 teams had one loss, yet UW got overlooked. So you can rest assured if Miami gets beat and say Texas does too, you can bet that Oklahoma would then leap frog WSU in the last poll and play for the title. No pac 10 team will ever get that chance with the present system.

Now I also see alot of people saying ND should be ranked ahead of SC. On record alone, I guess. But shouldnt the team who has BY FAR played the toughest schedule in the country have a little more leeway then someone else? I'm far more impressed by there 7-2 record against there schedule then I am with any of the one loss teams schedules. This is probably the biggest reason we need a playoff, because as of now, the weight of the polls in the BCS outweighs what a teams SOS is. And its pretty rediculous when opinions and biases outweigh what a team actually does on the field.

Personally I hope SC is taking note of this. They should in the future, schedule non league slates like Texas and oklahoma do...........play nobody and line the pockets of the voters, this is the way to the NC game as it is presently set up.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2002, 09:05 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Default I was wrong...THANK GOD....well, for atelast now

First, I'd like to say hello to #47. Thanks for the welcome to the boards. And now, to the main issue....I was wrong on the BCS new standings. Washington St. is 3 and Oklahoma is 4. It's good to see justice in the BCS, let's hope it stays that way, but I have a feeling that if both teams win out and Miami loses, Oklahoma will somehow sneak in to battle the Buckeyes. Oklahoma is not far behind and they have 4 games left, that's a lot of games to gain points, where as Wash. St. plays disappointing Washington and a decent UCLA team. And you're right #47, the Rose Bowl is never hurting with money, but you can't tell me that it wouldn't ruffle their feathers just a little to see an Ohio St. - Wash. St. title game outside of Pasedena ? I know it would. And yes, USC is a great school with great tradition, but I think the national attention of Jason Gesser would bring in enough of a younger audience to maybe even things out, as far as ratings are concerned. Certaintly, Ohio St. is a bigger draw than Iowa as far as interest nationally is concerned. Oh well, I WOULD watch all the games cause I love the big bowls, and especially the Rose. Let's just hope Oklahoma doesn't sneak in ahead of Washington St. and play Ohio St., cause I think we can all agree, that would be INSANE !!!!!!!
Old 11-11-2002, 09:27 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Also, a welcome from your friendly admin, buckeyefan78. You're knowledge and enthusiasm is well appreciated here, but your posts would become more readable if you break them up a bit -- just something to keep in mind. Once again, welcome.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 02:49 PM   #10
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Thanks for the welcome Marc. And yeah, you're right, I have a tendency to go on and on in one post instead of breaking it up. I'll keep it in mind. I guess it makes it easier for others to read. Thats what happens when your dealing with the BCS though, you lose your mind...lol... later.
Old 11-12-2002, 08:53 PM   #11
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

The only problem would be that Ohio State won't get passed Michigan this year
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2002, 08:55 PM   #12
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

I think, but maybe Im worng, that there are more Buckeye fans here than for any other team. Just an observation, its nice to see.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:05 PM   #13
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

True buckeye fan, but Oklahoma has one of those games against Baylor, this will actually hurt them in the SOS and another against .500 OSU, so really they will have to rely on just the Big 12 title game to get some points. But I, like you, would be greatly disappointed if Oklahoma were to leapfrog WSU if that scenario was to ever present itself.

Yes the Rose people would be mildly upset at the possibility of a NC game featuring BIG 10/PAC 10 teams outisde of the Rose. But I guarantee, if it came down to having either WSU or USC in the Rose Bowl(Gesser or no Gesser), they would want SC, especially with Palmers emergence this year. On top of that SC has national scope to its viewers, WSU does not.

By the way, Marc once told me to break up my posts also.........lol.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2002, 05:19 PM   #14
NickHammy
Sports Virtuoso

NickHammy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by digital7
The only problem would be that Ohio State won't get passed Michigan this year
Well, we'll know if you're right in less than 2 weeks. But Tressel is gonna prepare this team just as well as last year when we upset Michigan in the Big House. This year we are more talented and Tressel is more experienced as D-1A coach.
Old 11-13-2002, 06:52 PM   #15
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

VT or Pittsburgh are more likely to beat Miami, then Michigan is to beat OSU.