Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 07-22-2010, 02:16 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Another Big Three forming?

Looks like Chris Paul and 'Melo could be getting new teams: Chris Paul puts out trade wish list, topped by New York Knicks, sources say - ESPN

These other stars are eager to put together a rival team to LeBron/Wade/Bosh. I like that thought. But will it happen?

Quote:
The New York Knicks are the first team on point guard Chris Paul's wish list of clubs he'd like New Orleans to trade him to, according to sources.

Orlando, where he could team with superstar center Dwight Howard, is the second team on Paul's list, which includes Dallas and then Portland, according to sources.

In the ideal scenario, Paul and the Denver Nuggets' Carmelo Anthony would wind up in New York to play alongside Amare Stoudemire, forming a big three that could compete with Miami's newly formed super trio of LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh.

"Those guys want to beat the three guys in Miami," a source close to the situation said. A report Wednesday on CBSSports.com said Paul saw what James did in signing to play alongside Wade and Bosh and has designs on doing something similar.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 03:42 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I doubt it happens. Whoever wants Paul is going to have to take Emeka Okafor off the Hornets hands as well which would probably prevent them from being able to get anyone else of significance unless they find someone else willing to take Okafor's contract off their hands.

Besides I have a very hard time seeing Anthony not signing the extension the Nuggets have offered him. With the league looking to significantly lower the max amount players can make with the next CBA and the income taxes in New York he would walking away from far too much money to go sign in NY as a free agent.

They have a reasonable shot at Paul but I just can't see Anthony going on the market with the kind of money Denver is throwing his way. Not to mention that if he signs the extension he will be able to hit the market the same summer Wade, Bosh, and LeBron can opt out of their deals in Miami.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

NAR(cotics) is on a distinguished road

Oh great than what, Wade Bosh LBJ and Melo all team up somewhere?

LOL

But no seriously, it doesn't matter, because when you get three huge contracts together the rest of the team ends up being completely mediocre, and Championship Caliber teams will find the weakness and pick you apart. Melo is staying in Denver, CP3 isn't leaving the Big Easy until his contract expires and Miami will not win a championship without filling some MAJOR holes.

My only championship this year....college soccer. :thumbdown:
NAR(cotics) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 08:14 AM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I don't know I think Paul could be dealt if the right deal comes along simply because the Hornets need to cut payroll to stay solvent. While they need to cut payroll they also need to make a deal that makes sense for them to stay competitive over the long term and I am not sure if the Knicks can do that or not.

The Knicks have the cap space to take back a bad contract like Okafor's, but I am not sure they have the pieces to send in return to make the Hornets consider it.
Old 07-23-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Without David Lee, they are lacking in terms of tradeable options. I'm trying to think of who they could offer up and nobody immediately comes to mind. However if he really wants to go to Orlando that could happen.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:02 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, but I don't think the Hornets are that interested in someone like Lee though. If they move Paul it will be for a salary dump where they can get a comibnation of draft picks, young talent, and maybe an expiring contract.

I agree about the Knicks though, their best trading chips are Eddy Curry's expiring contract, Ray Felton, Toney Douglas, Danilo Galinari and maybe Anthony Randolph. I am not sure the Hornets would be overly interested in many of those players given what they already have.

The Magic could potentially happen if the Hornets are willing to shoulder Vince Carter's contract for the year.

I think Portland could be a real possibility as well.
Old 07-23-2010, 06:49 PM   #7
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Yeah, but I don't think the Hornets are that interested in someone like Lee though. If they move Paul it will be for a salary dump where they can get a comibnation of draft picks, young talent, and maybe an expiring contract.

I agree about the Knicks though, their best trading chips are Eddy Curry's expiring contract, Ray Felton, Toney Douglas, Danilo Galinari and maybe Anthony Randolph. I am not sure the Hornets would be overly interested in many of those players given what they already have.

The Magic could potentially happen if the Hornets are willing to shoulder Vince Carter's contract for the year.

I think Portland could be a real possibility as well.
I was thinking CP to Orlando, if hes going to be the star in Orlando than the Magic could give NO Jameer Nelson and some other players.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

ESPN is saying Orlando is his top choice now, probably because 'Melo told him he is staying in Denver for the time being and Paul knows he is not going to win anything in NY with just Amare' on his team.

The thing about the Magic is would the Hornets even have any interest in Jameer Nelson? One of the reasons they would be open to dealing Paul is they already have Darren Collison who averaged 18.8 points and 9.1 assists as a starter when Paul got injured last season. They do not necessarily have to get a starting point guard back for Paul.
Old 07-25-2010, 12:44 AM   #9
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Yeah but if the Magic get Paul they don't need Jameer, if I were the Hornets I would ask for Jameer and some other good players and than shop around either Nelson or Collison for some picks and maybe a couple more players.

Old 07-26-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

If they did do that they would probably look to deal Nelson simply because Collison is younger, cheaper, and Nelson has been a bit injury prone over his career.

If Paul gets dealt to one of the teams he wants to go to I suspect it will take a third team to get the deal done. A team that is willing to give up one or two young players and/or draft picks to get Jameer Nelson and/or Vince Carter's expiring contract back.
Old 07-26-2010, 01:09 PM   #11
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

I can't really see the Magic trading VC they invested a lot into Carter, and Carter still has some gas in his tank. Of course I'm usually wrong lol.

Old 07-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

They will if it means getting Chris Paul though. Paul is an elite franchise player who probably has a good 8 to 10 good years left in him while Carter is on the downside of his career.

Carter is a solid scorer but he is not a good teammate and does not defend any one. Freakin' J. J. Redick was outplaying in the Boston series as it was.

The major problem with Vince Carter is you can always count on him to disappear at some point in the playoffs.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:08 PM   #13
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

Thats true but wouldn't it be better if they can keep Carter and get CP3?

Old 07-27-2010, 08:55 AM   #14
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

In theory it would be, but I am not sure if they get it done otherwise. Guys with expiring contracts are very attractive to NBA teams looking for cap relief.

If they did not give up Carter then they would have to figure out who else to give up. Would it hurt them more to lose a Carter for Paul or to lose some of their front court depth if they gave up a Gortat or Brandon Bass? In the grand scheme of things you need some big bodies to help Howard out and be able to compete with the Boston's and LA's of the league. Keeping Carter would be more of a luxury since they already have two other strong scorers in Howard and Lewis.

Quite honestly Redick is probably a better fit with a PG like Paul simply because he is a better spot-up shooter who does not need the ball in his hands to create his own shot. He catches and shoots better than Carter does and would see a lot of open shots with Paul's ability to penetrate and dish.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:48 PM   #15
NAR(cotics)
SC's Most Opinionated!

I would love to see JJ get another shot, Redick was a star at Duke, I think he can give white people a good name in the NBA.