Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-13-2009, 08:44 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Big Ben had a spinal cord concussion...

The Post-Gazette has learned that Roethlisberger actually sustained a spinal cord concussion after he was sandwiched on a hit by two Browns defenders and appeared to hit the back of his head on the Heinz Field surface -- the same type of injury that caused former quarterback Tommy Maddox to temporarily lose movement in his arms and legs in a 2002 game in Tennessee.

By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Full story here...http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09012...d=steelers.xml

Pretty gritty performance by Ben I suppose. Wonder why they let that out now?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:40 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

And Heinz Field is natural grass, is it not?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

All I know is Big Ben always seems to be taking a pounding and is banged up. I wouldn't be surprised to see his NFL career cut short. Some guys seem to escape the injuries, and others attract them, it's a strange phenomenon.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:55 AM   #4
Anthony

But it's not nice to cover up injuries - is it?
Old 01-18-2009, 02:19 AM   #5
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Big Ben is nothing more than a game manager... same as always. He's the type of QB that can play banged up. Everyone plays a little banged up but Steelers are known as a tuff franchise so none of this surprises me.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:19 AM   #6
Anthony

Why is Roethlisberger automatically a "game manager"?

Just because they don't have him go out there and throw 40 times for 350 yards every week?

By that same logic, Terry Bradshaw was an even bigger "game manager."
Old 01-21-2009, 06:18 PM   #7
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

He's been a game manager since he starting taking snaps. How many att does he average a game? 20? Game manager isn't a negative thing - but I've never seen Ben have to take over a game and win in himself?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:52 AM   #8
Anthony

Well who was winning all those games while Willie Parker was out?
Old 01-22-2009, 03:06 AM   #9
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Defense?

I think maybe you took my "game manager" reply the wrong way. Like I said, its not a bad thing - I think being a game manager is good if you are mistake free. You just do what you need to in order to keep your team in the game. Along with stellar "D" many QB's have proven you can win a SB.
Old 01-22-2009, 01:11 PM   #10
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

Didn't Ben have a couple of huge games during the run to their last SB win? It could be my poor memory messing with me, but I recall them winning a couple of those playoff games with big passing performances.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 02:14 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The only 'huge' game he had was against Denver in the Conference Championship game. The question there would be how much of that was a result of Denver having one of the worst pass defenses in the league that year?

He had a good game against the Bengals in the Wild Card round but they only asked him to throw the ball 19 times. He was good in the Divisional game against the Colts but he only threw for 197 yards on 24 attempts.

The reason Roethlisberger gets that 'game manager' tag is because more times than not when you ask him to throw 30 times or more in a game the Steelers end up losing. He is 11-14 in the 25 games he has had to throw 30+ times in his career and he is 40-8 in games where he throws less than 30 passes a game. Of his 69 career INTs 41 have come in the games when he threw more than 30 passes. He has just 35 TDs in the games where he has thrown 30+ passes and 66 in the other games.

Roethlisberger has had 29 games where he rated out at 100.0 or better and only 2 of those have come when he threw the ball 30 or more times.

He is 4-8 with 17 TDs and 26 picks in the 12 games where he has thrown the ball 35+ times.

Ultimately, based on the numbers, a strong argument can be made for the case that Roethlisberger needs a strong running game to succeed and is not one of those quarterbacks that you roll out there and feel confident he is going to win games on his own for you.

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...Be00_games.htm
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

To me, a game manager is a QB who isn't a playmaker, but does enough to win. I think Big Ben makes enough big plays with his arm that he is more than a game manager.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 12:27 AM   #13
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Thank you Doublee for braking those games down... that was what I was driving at.

The one thing I will say that Ben has going for him that other game managers do not is his size. He really is a tuff QB to bring down, and sometimes when he does not give up the sack it allows him to extend a play and usually find that open WR.

Other than that I've never seen him win a game with his arm in just a straight up game - sitting in the pocket, and firing away.
Old 01-29-2009, 04:49 AM   #14
Anthony

To me at least, calling a QB a "game manager" is like calling a batter in baseball a "banjo hitter."
Old 02-01-2009, 11:07 PM   #15
boston_aloha
FFB #2

but if he continues to make hit when needed there is nothng wrong with that