Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-13-2009, 08:24 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Will the Bolts dump LT?

Could Chargers Just Release Tomlinson?

12th January, 2009 - 5:45 pm

San Diego Union-Tribune - The Chargers have a difficult decision to make regarding LaDainian Tomlinson, especially with Darren Sproles entering free agency as a hot commodity.

Tomlinson had the fewest touches and fewest yards of his career in 2008 and is no longer the center of San Diego's offense.

"I don't know," Tomlinson said of his situation. "That's something I have no control over. I'm under contract. It's not like I'm going anywhere. Nobody said nothing to me."

Tomlinson, who will be 30 at the start of next season, has a salary-cap number of $8.8 million in 2009. They could trade him, or simply release him in what many believe would be a more respectful move.

"That's the great thing about being an athlete and playing this game," he said. "Everybody is going to have to answer to injuries at some point in time in their career. Then you have to ask yourself, 'Are you still the same player if you stay healthy?' I think for me that's the question I'm asking myself going into the offseason.

"I just got to make sure, whether with the Chargers or somebody else, that I'm ready to play football next year."

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wi...ase_tomlinson/
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 04:42 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

After seeing the way Shaun Alexander's tenure in Seattle ended, I wouldn't rule this out by any means.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

It would probably depend on what kind of cap hit they potentially take by releasing him. I keep seeing stuff about him being dealt but if the Chargers are dealing him because they think he is damaged goods who is going to be willing to pick up the $8 mil tab for him for next year.

I think he still has a little something left but he needs to get into an offense where he is getting roughly 250 to 300 touches a year as opposed to the upwards of 400 he gets a year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 04:51 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Wouldn't shock me. They have to pay Sproles if they want to keep him. But can Sproles be an every-down back, or is he more of a change of pace? I think LT will have 2-3 more years of decent play as he slowly winds down. It is shocking how far these RBs fall from grace, though.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 07:57 AM   #5
Anthony

Looks like the Chargers might soon be in the same leaky boat as the Eagles, insofar as the RB position is concerned.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:10 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Wouldn't shock me. They have to pay Sproles if they want to keep him. But can Sproles be an every-down back, or is he more of a change of pace? I think LT will have 2-3 more years of decent play as he slowly winds down. It is shocking how far these RBs fall from grace, though.
I am not so sure Sproles is going to get paid as much as some folks may think. He is still a bit of a gamble because of his size. Micheal Turner was a slam dunk since he has the size to go with the speed to be a NFL back.

Sproles is suited to be more of a 'hybrid' type of guy who you give 10-15 touches a game but you line him up all over the field in an effort to give him the ball in space where he can run by people.

The irony of it all is that Norv was set to cut him loose last summer until the guy they intended on using for kick returns got hurt and they needed to hang onto him for special teams.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 08:42 AM   #7
Anthony

Still, getting Shawne Merriman back and with a favorable schedule, the Chargers should easily exceed their 8-8 record of 2008 next year and be in prime position to secure a first-round bye in the playoffs, as the AFC South, and even more so the AFC East, will be less fortunate schedule-wise.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:04 AM   #8
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
It is shocking how far these RBs fall from grace, though.
You said it Marc...

I was never an LT fan (for obvious reason - I think he's a crybaby)... but anyway - personal feelings aside I think SD needs him. NFL Live made a good point how you really need a 1-2 punch in this league nowadays... I do not think Sproles can handle the load himself. I think it will be interesting to see what happens.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:12 AM   #9
Anthony

I'm all for the 1-2 punch concept - but shouldn't the two be further apart in size than LT and Darren Sproles?
Old 01-21-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Not always.... Sproles and LT seemed to have some success right?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:55 AM   #11
Anthony

LT hasn't exactly torn it up against the 3-4.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:04 AM   #12
boston_aloha
FFB #2

True... but how would you rate SD's running game on a whole? I would rate them better than a lot of teams out there.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:21 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

A.J. Smith is trying to appease L.T. and called him: http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3863651

I don't think you can write-off L.T. until he is healthy and given a chance. If he struggles, then it'll show he's washed up.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 04:44 AM   #14
Anthony

If appeasing comes that natural to A.J. Smith, perhaps he should apply for a job in the Obama Administration!