Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 12-20-2006, 06:47 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Now that AI is in Denver...

Now that "The Answer" is in Denver are the Nuggets the team to beat in the West? Here's my list of the best in the West a few days before Christmas...

1. Spurs
2. Mavs
3. Jazz
4. Suns
5. Lakers
6. Nuggets

Where ya got Denver on your list?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 06:59 PM   #2
Marino13
Professional Muff Diver

Marino13 is on a distinguished road

#3 behind Spurs and Jazz...certainly above the Lakers
Old 12-20-2006, 07:25 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

No way the Nuggets are better than the Mavs and I am not sold on the Jazz being legit just yet. After winning 12 of their first 13 they are just 6-6 over the last 12 and are losing on the road to teams like New York, Minnesota, and Golden State and lost at home to Sacramento. That is some pretty mediocre competition for a supposed contender to be losing to.

The Suns are better than the Nuggets at this stage as well. The Nuggets have had problems hanging on to the ball and that is just going to be exacerbated by having Iverson as your PG. Plus, Denver is probably a blown Marcus Camby hammy away from being Golden State. Since Nene is turning into a colossal bust and Kenyon Martin is out for the year the next best option they have in the post is Reggie Evans.

I think I'd probably have to go:
1. Mavs
2. Spurs
3. Phoenix
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6. Lakers
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 07:52 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
No way the Nuggets are better than the Mavs and I am not sold on the Jazz being legit just yet. After winning 12 of their first 13 they are just 6-6 over the last 12 and are losing on the road to teams like New York, Minnesota, and Golden State and lost at home to Sacramento. That is some pretty mediocre competition for a supposed contender to be losing to.

The Suns are better than the Nuggets at this stage as well. The Nuggets have had problems hanging on to the ball and that is just going to be exacerbated by having Iverson as your PG. Plus, Denver is probably a blown Marcus Camby hammy away from being Golden State. Since Nene is turning into a colossal bust and Kenyon Martin is out for the year the next best option they have in the post is Reggie Evans.

I think I'd probably have to go:
1. Mavs
2. Spurs
3. Phoenix
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6. Lakers
I can't believe I'm gonna go to bat for the Lakers (wait a sec...I'm a Laker fan) but the Nuggets over Kobe's bunch?

I got no problem with Dallas, SA, Phoenix, and the Jazz (due to Sloan) but then you have to look at coaching (George Karl is a tool) and the fact that AI and Melo haven't even played a game yet.

Yeah...I guess I asked for projections and I'm gettin' them from ya doublee. Still, the Lakers seem to have better coaching and a deeper frontcourt than the Nuggets (as you've noted)...which goes along way in the West.

The Spurs have looked really good this year though. 5 of their next 6 are at home.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:08 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Well, the Lakers' frontcourt depends heavily on how healthy Lamar Odom is the rest of the season and he is currently out with an injury and the rest of the frontcourt is nothing to get excited over just yet.

Neither team plays any real defense to speak of.

The main reason I give the Nuggets the slight nod is because they now have more firepower and have two guys who can take over a game whereas other than Kobe the cupboard is a bit bare for the Lakers.

To be honest I don't know that there is a real significant difference one way or the other between either team.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:15 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think in some ways A.I.'s move to Denver will only allow them to keep pace, rather than going to a whole new level, at least in the regular season. With Anthony out 15 games, they'd probably struggle and A.I. is more or less a replacement for scoring during his suspension. In the postseason, it will depend on defense, rebounding, etc. and they haven't really improved in those areas.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 08:25 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Well, I'd say the advantage in coaching is a huge plus for L.A. doublee. Plus the frontcourt is as well...even without Odom for another month.

It's a non-issue anyway cuz neither team is goin' to The Finals.

I'd agree with Marc's statement on the rebounding and defense in Denver not improving with AI coming to town. He's a liablity there. The West likes to run (and so does Denver). That should benefit AI.
Old 12-20-2006, 08:49 PM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I'd put the Spurs as the best team once the playoffs roll around, although the standings might flesh out as Dallas, Phoenix, Spurs, Lakers, Nuggets, Jazz.

The Nuggets are now in the class of Dallas and Phoenix. I think Iverson will mesh well with Carmelo Anthony and even J.R. Smith to an extent. Smith might get less looks, but he is going to get MUCH better looks.

I like this team much better than I like the Suns, but that hinges mainly on Amare Stoudemire. If Stoudemire continues to perform the way he has recently, that might change. Down low, the Suns will likely be a better club. But, they're going to be a running team and you put Iverson into the Steve Nash role of things and Iverson will be a huge step up from Andre Miller in that regard.

Iverson has always created open shots for teammates, he just never had teammates that could finish those open shots. When they first got Chris Webber in Philadelphia, Iverson went out of his way to try to involve Webber into the offense. There were flashes where things looked like they could work out, but frankly, it took so much to get Webber into the offense that no one else got involved in the offense. That won't happen in Denver. Aside from that, Carmelo Anthony is better than any other sidekick Iverson has played with and J.R. Smith is better right now than Stackhouse, Larry Hughes, Robinson ever were.

It's a very unique position for Iverson and I think he'll excel. I think some point don't see him as a point guard or a ball distributor, I just don't think they've seen Iverson play enough. The shots per game obviously doesn't give you that indication, but shots per gam in this situation doesn't tell the entire story. Again, when Webber came to Philly, he thought they could win with him, so, he got him the basketball, deferred to him, Webber didn't get it done. But, Iverson's first instinct was to go out of his way to get Webber into the offense.

What I expect out of Iverson in Denvery will be a better, more talented version of Chauncey Billups from the Piston Championship runs of the past few years..
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2006, 09:31 PM   #9
grifter
Skateboarding thug, Baby!

grifter is on a distinguished road

1. Spurs
2. Jazz
3. Suns
4. Nuggets
5. Mavs
6. Lakers

Now my next question, can AI and Mello co-exist for a whole season to get that run to the Finals?

I played golf once. While everyone else was trying to hit holes in one, I hit a person. Let me tell ya that was so much more fun. I didn't know you were supposed to yell Four, I was to busy mumbling "I'm gonna miss him, alittle bit more to the left"
grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:29 PM   #10
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Coming in a little late, here, but I don't believe that AI makes his teammates better -- the proof is in Philadelphia. His supporting cast wasn't as good as it is in Denver, true, but in such a pathetic conference and such a lousy division, you'd think a player as "valuable" as Iverson would take his team to the playoffs and maybe, you know, advance past the first round. Aside from the 2001 run, it's always been one-and-done. And that was in the East!

Questions abound whether or not his ego can co-exist with Carmelo's. Iverson has a dubious history of either running second bananas out of town, or rendering them useless (Stackhouse, Hughes, Glenn Robinson, Webber). He says this is Melo's team, but we'll see what happens when they're both on the court.

The West is much too difficult for the Nuggets to make a vast improvement. ASSUMING EVERYONE IS HEALTHY:

1. Spurs
2. Suns
3. Mavs (yes, I realize they're 2-0 up on the Suns)
4. Jazz
5. Lakers
6. Rockets
7. Nuggets
8. ??? (Golden State?)

Denver out in the first round of the playoffs. Four games.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 02:57 PM   #11
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Iverson ran out of town or rendered useless bums like Stackhouse, Larry Hughes, Glenn Robinson and Webber? How so? Stackhouse never could play, but that is probably your closest argument, silly nonetheless. Hughes was too young and damn immature on the court. The only thing that ever came out of that was they had the FLIGHT BROTHERS nonsense that didn't win ballgames. Robinson was terrible when he got to Philly and Webber was worn down. How exactly did Iverson play into this?

He doesn't help teammates...yet he went to the playoffs often with nothing and went to the Finals with nothing...which is a better track record than most top notch players playing alongside nothing.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 03:01 PM   #12
grifter
Skateboarding thug, Baby!

grifter is on a distinguished road

Not to mention it takes a team effort to make it into the playoffs and beyond. Just because he is that talented and "valuable" doesn't mean he could do it by himself. He took what little was given to him and magnified them. Now give him a decent team and see how far he could of gone.

I played golf once. While everyone else was trying to hit holes in one, I hit a person. Let me tell ya that was so much more fun. I didn't know you were supposed to yell Four, I was to busy mumbling "I'm gonna miss him, alittle bit more to the left"
grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2006, 08:16 PM   #13
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

AI had little to do with Hughes being run out of Philly. He liked the guy and took him under his wing when the Sixers drafted him. Hughes got dumped because Larry Brown didn't want to wait around to see if Hughes was going to amount to anything. The same can be said for Tim Thomas as well.

As for Robinson and Webber they were washed up when they got there.

As for Stackhouse his ego could not playing second fiddle to a rookie.

I would say the only player who may have been stifled a bit is Igoudala.
Old 01-03-2007, 01:21 AM   #14
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

LOL funny watching AI ***** and whine after losing to his old team tonight. Talking about how Steve Jaffe has a vendetta against him, even though Allen clearly fouled Korver, not the other way around like AI would like to believe.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2007, 10:18 PM   #15
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
AI had little to do with Hughes being run out of Philly. He liked the guy and took him under his wing when the Sixers drafted him. Hughes got dumped because Larry Brown didn't want to wait around to see if Hughes was going to amount to anything. The same can be said for Tim Thomas as well.

As for Robinson and Webber they were washed up when they got there.

As for Stackhouse his ego could not playing second fiddle to a rookie.

I would say the only player who may have been stifled a bit is Igoudala.
Well, I suppose we'll see once Carmelo comes back. It's always been spun, however, that he Sixers tried over and over to give Iverson a #2, but no one could gel with him. I suppose he never had a hand in any of that, though, obviously...

Hey, look who is flourishing now in Philly? Igoudala.

The Sixers may have had some miserable teams over the years, but playing in the East, you'd expect them to have made the second round of the playoffs at least once. 2001 and never again? After MJ's second retirement, the dominant team out East was... oh... there wasn't one. They weren't always just four stiffs+AI.

I wonder how much he's hurting over last night. It's not every day -- week? -- the Sixers get a win.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote