Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 04-11-2007, 12:14 PM   #31
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
As I mentioned before, rap artists can not spout objectifying and degrading lyrics on the radio, and Don Imus should not be allowed to, either.
Good point. If Don Imus wants to put out an Album, or a Book, or any other publication, he can say "nappy headed hos" all he wants. He can do everything rappers can do, and he is censored in the same way rappers are.

Once again, this is a non-issue, except for those who want to somehow place blame on the black community for this.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:23 PM   #32
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

But, what he was doing on his show was the same thing that rap artists do, just to a different forum. Nothing that Imus said would have been censored in a rap song played over the air. Why should he have to use a different media when he has a forum available to him already? I don't know if I'm missing something by just skimming the rest of the thread, but that's a very dangerous statement to the First Amendment, Fresh.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:24 PM   #33
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh
Once again, this is a non-issue, except for those who want to somehow place blame on the black community for this.
I think you are a little off-base with this comment.

Some blame gets thrown back at the black community because people like the Reverend Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson work so hard to try and get Don Imus thrown off the airwaves, but turn around and attend P. Diddy parties and make appearences on The Chris Rock Show.

And I think Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson's outspoken nature allows people to quickly change the topic to more of a political statement: "How come this people condemn this man, but they won't condemn this man?"

I will stick with my original philosophy that two wrongs don't make a right, and everyone needs to be held accountable for there actions, regardless of who is crying foul.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG
Nothing that Imus said would have been censored in a rap song played over the air.
The word "ho," when used in a degrading way, is edited out of rap songs that are aired on the radio.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 12:34 PM   #34
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
But, what he was doing on his show was the same thing that rap artists do, just to a different forum. Nothing that Imus said would have been censored in a rap song played over the air. Why should he have to use a different media when he has a forum available to him already? I don't know if I'm missing something by just skimming the rest of the thread, but that's a very dangerous statement to the First Amendment, Fresh.
It is different because of who said it. I don't care if you agree with it or not, but the person making the comment DOES MATTER. If a white person say the N word, it is a problem. I know Imus didn't say that, but for the sake of arguement. You don't use racial slurs about another race on public airwaves without reprecussions. A black person can say "nappy headed hos" when talking about other blacks, without reprecussions. Is it unfair? Maybe. But that's the way it is. Don Imus knows that, and he is paying the price for making a mistake. I don't see the issue here.

Think Fresh.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:38 PM   #35
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
It is different because of who said it. I don't care if you agree with it or not, but the person making the comment DOES MATTER...
Wait a minute...

Are we not equal? Isn't that the whole point of equality? In my opinion, racism is wrong who ever is using, saying it, and spreading it. We can condemn some and ignore others...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker
Some blame gets thrown back at the black community because people like the Reverend Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson work so hard to try and get Don Imus thrown off the airwaves, but turn around and attend P. Diddy parties and make appearences on The Chris Rock Show.

And I think Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson's outspoken nature allows people to quickly change the topic to more of a political statement: "How come this people condemn this man, but they won't condemn this man?"
Excellent point and I agree; matter of fact that is my point!
Old 04-11-2007, 12:47 PM   #36
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Wait a minute...

Are we not equal? Isn't that the whole point of equality? In my opinion, racism is wrong who ever is using, saying it, and spreading it. We can condemn some and ignore others...
Right. I codemn a black man who says cracker. But I don't codemn you if you call me a cracker.

I don't think it is racism if you are speaking about your own race. Racism can not exist if you are speaking of your own race, it defies logic to think that way.

So yes, we are all equal. We can use racial slurs when talking about our own race but not others. That applies to every person of every race, equally.

Get it?

Think Fresh.
Old 04-11-2007, 12:53 PM   #37
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

But even beyond Imus' "nappy-headed" remark, a word like "ho" is degrading and objectifying to women no matter what race is saying it.
Old 04-11-2007, 01:50 PM   #38
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
The word "ho," when used in a degrading way, is edited out of rap songs that are aired on the radio.
I would say that this is a case by case basis for radio stations to make that choice personal to their radio station. so, I guess my original statement was incorrect and it should have been "A radio station would not have to censor what Imus said it it was in a rap song played over the air" instead of "Nothing that Imus said would have been censored in a rap song played over the air."
Old 04-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #39
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
We can use racial slurs when talking about our own race but not others.
I disagree with that... for the reasons I have already posted.

Quote:
"Nothing that Imus said would have been censored in a rap song played over the air."
Thanks HibachiDG... You see, this is what I speaking about; we here racism in a song and subconsciously ignore it; we hear it by a radio personality and express outrage. Same words; same venue; different outrage.
Old 04-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #40
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
I would say that this is a case by case basis for radio stations to make that choice personal to their radio station.
This is also untrue.

Radio stations receive their music through a music service provider, like Top Hits U.S.A.

If you click on the Latest Releases link on the right-side of the page, you will notice that a majority of the Top 40 tracks have been edited. Those are the versions of the songs that have been released to air as a single on a radio station.

"Ho" is a word that is always edited out if used in a disparaging manner, and it is not left up to a radio station to decide.

EDITED: Also, for those who interested in knowing what songs are played the most frequently on the radio, the Billboard charts won't help. Radio and Records charts songs based on number of plays in a week.

Last edited by tobynosker; 04-11-2007 at 02:25 PM.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #41
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

But, the point is that someone made the decision to edit that out and a radio station not getting their rap songs from that service could choose to play the version that has the word "Ho" in it. The music service provider made a choice on edits and probably made the choice that would get their music provided to the maximum number of stations. Another music service provider could have completely different edits and leave "Ho" in there and provide that version to stations for airplay.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #42
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
But, the point is that someone made the decision to edit that out and a radio station not getting their rap songs from that service could choose to play the version that has the word "Ho" in it. The music service provider made a choice on edits and probably made the choice that would get their music provided to the maximum number of stations. Another music service provider could have completely different edits and leave "Ho" in there and provide that version to stations for airplay.
No, because the music service provider isn't the one editing the track.

Those tracks are edited by record companies, and every music service provider receives the same, edited tracks.

I promise you, in all of my years in radio, never once has a music service provider CD contained the word "Ho" in a disparaging manner on any of its tracks. It doesn't happen.
Old 04-11-2007, 05:49 PM   #43
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Right...the point that I'm making isn't that, though. What I'm saying is that record companies/distributors/whoever does in distributing edited tracks do so with primary goals of money involved and getting the track played. There's a huge difference between that and CAN'T however.

Could a radio station go to a record company and say "we want copies of your tracks with Ho said in a disparaging manner left in" and then the record company would have a choice to make. Do a reedit just for this one record station? Maybe not financially worth it.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #44
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

MSNBC has dropped Imus...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncw/news/story?id=2833899
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:21 PM   #45
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I never heard of the guy before this. But my thought is, WHO CARES?!?!?!

Is the Rutgers team this fragile that they have to have a press conference and say how upset and offended they are because some old hack called them a name? Just laugh and say he's an idiot. I just don't get it...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote