Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 04-11-2007, 08:34 PM   #46
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

I think there's a lot of us with you on that Marc.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 08:37 PM   #47
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I never heard of the guy before this. But my thought is, WHO CARES?!?!?!

Is the Rutgers team this fragile that they have to have a press conference and say how upset and offended they are because some old hack called them a name? Just laugh and say he's an idiot. I just don't get it...
To be honest this is ultimately the result of the media jumping all over this and blowing it up moreso than it is the Rutgers team being offended or pissed about what he said. Rutgers University did not initiate any of the attention this has garnered. In the end someone puts a microphone in their face what would someone expect them to say?

Now that MSNBC has dropped him and most of his major corporate sponsors have jumped ship it is beginning to look like his days may be numbered on the radio as well.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:01 PM   #48
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I am not typically a huge Jason Whitlock fan but he hit the nail right on the head with this one:

http://www.kansascity.com/182/story/66339.html
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2007, 10:07 PM   #49
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
MSNBC has dropped Imus...
A bad decision I feel. MSNBC has made a ton of money off of Imus. Now it caves to the same pressure that badgered the three Duke Lacrosse Players and badered three white men that were falsely accused by Tawana Brawley. I disagree with MSNBC on this point. The words that Imus used were wrong, but no different than what the rap community uses every day. It is hyporcrisy that words that Snoop Dog uses every day gets Imus fired. That is something Dr. Martin Luther King would be against to be sure; inequality. Imus apologized but Snoop Dog and the rest of the rap community does not...
Old 04-12-2007, 07:45 AM   #50
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG
What I'm saying is that record companies/distributors/whoever does in distributing edited tracks do so with primary goals of money involved and getting the track played. There's a huge difference between that and CAN'T however.
Wrong.

Record companies/distributors/whoever edit the tracks of raps songs with the primary goal of avoiding an FCC fine, especially after the new FCC indecency laws came in affect in 2001. The indecency laws became even more strict that year when KKMG in Colorado was fined $7,000 for airing an edited version of Eminem's "The Real Slim Shady."

The bylaws of the FCC state that "broadcasts that fall within the definition of indecency . . . aired between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m. are subject to indecency enforcement by the FCC."

In the landmark Pacifica case in 1978, a federal appeals court upheld the FCC's authority to regulate indecent speech on the airwaves. Through later court action, it was determined the FCC could regulate indecency during the so-called "safe harbor" between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m., when children are more likely to be listening. The FCC also regulates obscene programming, which is forbidden during any hour of the day.

Music-oriented stations do in fact fall under a different microscope than news-talk programs when it comes to indecent speech on the airwaves. For example, in a rap song the word "drugs" or references to "drug use" are actually edited out of the tracks played on the radio or television, while on a news-talk station you can say "drugs" and refer to specific "drug use" without facing a possible fine from the FCC.

In the same instance, a radio station that plays a rap song that uses the word "ho" could be subjected to an FCC fine, while Don Imus can use the word "ho" on the radio and does not have to face an FCC fine because of the particular format in which the word is aired.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG
Could a radio station go to a record company and say "we want copies of your tracks with Ho said in a disparaging manner left in" and then the record company would have a choice to make. Do a reedit just for this one record station? Maybe not financially worth it.
There is not a radio station that dumb, and then there are no legitimate reasons for a radio station to comply with that request.

The popular Khia song "My Neck, My Back" underwent three editing processes before being deemed appropriate for air, with the version played on the radio known as the Squeaky Clean Radio Edit.

Hell, even the guy in Colorado that played the edited Eminem track ended up losing his job because of the FCC fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheNet
The words that Imus used were wrong, but no different than what the rap community uses every day.
But the rap community isn't allowed to use those words on the radio. So why should Don Imus?

I don't think Imus should have lost his job, but I can guarantee to you that had I refered to a basketball player as a "nappy-headed ho" I would have lost my job on the radio, and not one person would have blinked an eye over it.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 10:40 AM   #51
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I think we're looking at it from two different angles. You're looking at it from what the FCC actually does and I'm coming from more of a what the FCC could do if called on it. Like the Eminem example you gave. The FCC fined the station, but eventually dropped it when they realized that they would fight it. A lot of the fines the FCC gives out would be overturned by the Supreme Court under Pacifica and the rest of the Court history. The FCC does have the power to fine for indecency, the trickier question is what constitutes indecency and the traditional slogan is better safe than sorry...
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:07 AM   #52
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

My initial point was only to say that it is very misleading to suggest that rap artists are allowed to get on the radio or on television and use the same terms or phrases that Don Imus is being punished for using on his radio show.

The truth is that rap songs that do contain the word "ho" in their lyrics are being edited and/or censored to the point that they will only air without the word "ho" present.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 11:34 AM   #53
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

A radio station in Pennsylvania has fired a DJ after he encouraged people to call the station and repeat the controversial words Don Imus used on his show last week.

Gary Smith told WSBG-FM listeners to call and say "I'm a nappy-headed ho" for Tuesday's "Phrase that Pays" contest.

The station manager said that Smith was fired and not suspended because he uttered the slur in a premeditated manner, "with full knowledge of the reaction to Don Imus' use of the exact same phrase."

Smith later apologized for the remarks in an interview with a local newspaper.

The winners of the contest received tickets to a NASCAR promotion at a local club.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory?id=3031167
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 01:06 PM   #54
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobynosker View Post
My initial point was only to say that it is very misleading to suggest that rap artists are allowed to get on the radio or on television and use the same terms or phrases that Don Imus is being punished for using on his radio show.

The truth is that rap songs that do contain the word "ho" in their lyrics are being edited and/or censored to the point that they will only air without the word "ho" present.
Yeah, I know what you're saying. I don't think I made it clear enough the point I was trying to make and let my point start out closer to the point others are making, which is "blame these others that are doing it, etc." I probably should have started off by being a little more critical on the FCC. I don't think Imus should be forced to switch mediums just to ply his trade, just like I think the FCC should be less restrictive on radio content so that there is less forced editing of songs.
Old 04-12-2007, 05:08 PM   #55
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

CBS has now fired Imus.

Money talks and anyone can walk. The Rutgers basketball team can easily recover from the troubling words Imus said, but as a country, we took a huge step backwards and I fear that it won't be as simple to recover.

The decision of forgiveness or not for Imus should have been left to the listeners and not decided in a boardroom from pressures put on by people who do not listen to Imus.
Old 04-12-2007, 11:28 PM   #56
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

As for the Imus case,...here is another case where if one follows the laws of God, he wouldn't have said this silly stuff in the first place.
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 10:00 AM   #57
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETMURDS View Post
As for the Imus case,...here is another case where if one follows the laws of God, he wouldn't have said this silly stuff in the first place.
Or the laws of common sense would have worked as well...

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 01:00 PM   #58
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Had he stopped his statement after saying the "Girls are tough -- they have tatoos and I wouldn't want to mess with them", no one would have been offended. In fact, that would have been quite a complement to the players. His continuation, calling the ladies what he called them (I will not give it the honor of repeating it), is what got him in trouble. No one needs to use terms of that nature on the public air-waves.
As to terminating his employment, that is a decision that management decided was proper. Sponsors had already pulled their ads from his show and his retention would have ended up costing them money in the long run. Don Imus has always been controversial, but this was past being "controversial".

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 01:57 AM   #59
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Or the laws of common sense would have worked as well...
The word, "common" is one that displays ignorance the most (Example; the common whore)

I will still say the, "laws of god" is what keeps one on the better side.
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 02:20 AM   #60
Montrovant
Hatecarver

Montrovant is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DETMURDS View Post
The word, "common" is one that displays ignorance the most (Example; the common whore)

I will still say the, "laws of god" is what keeps one on the better side.
Like 'thou shalt not suffer a witch to live'? :lol:

Sorry Detmurds, I can't help myself
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote