Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-18-2008, 06:41 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Muschamp to coach Horns...

Muschamp to take over as coach at Texas when Brown retires

AUSTIN, Texas -- Texas defensive coordinator Will Muschamp has been designated head coach-in-waiting by the university, expected to take over the Longhorns when coach Mack Brown retires.

Muschamp is in his first year with the Longhorns, but athletic director DeLoss Dodds said Tuesday he and Brown know they want to keep him at Texas. To do that, they will more than double his salary from $425,000 to $900,000 in January. He will remain defensive coordinator.

Dodds said he wants the 57-year-old Brown to coach for a long time but said he wanted to line up Muschamp now to avoid the "trauma" of a coaching search when the day comes that Brown steps down.

The No. 3 Longhorns (10-1) are preparing for their Thanksgiving night game against rival Texas A&M.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3711246

Good call?

I think so. Out of all the defenses in the Big 12 I think UT has the best going right now.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:47 PM   #2
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

Damn, and here I thought Mack was going to keep the seat warm for me...

Great move by the Horns. Muschamp has done great things with this defense with a VERY young secondary. Muschamp and the Texas defense stopped Texas Tech 3 or 4 times in the 3rd quarter, which most teams havent done in a whole game this year. Muschamp will let the opposing team do what it can do in the first half of the game, but he is GREAT at second half adjustments, and the defense always comes out better in the second half of the games.

Guess ill have to see if Muschamp will hire me on :lol:
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

How are the folks down there taking to it?

My only concern would be the fact he has never been a head coach and this is Texas. You don't learn on the job at Texas. You win every game you play at Texas.

Plus he's a bit young at 37 but everywhere he has gone...the results speak for him.
Old 11-18-2008, 06:54 PM   #4
coachJ
All-Star Player

This is the first ive heard of it as being in class all day today, but ive heard nothing from anybody else. Im down at Sam Houston, which is closer to College Station, so all the Aggies down here hate everything UT does

You're right, you dont learn on the job at Texas, but Mack will groom him so that it will be a smooth transition once Muschamp does take over.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:00 PM   #5
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ View Post
This is the first ive heard of it as being in class all day today, but ive heard nothing from anybody else. Im down at Sam Houston, which is closer to College Station, so all the Aggies down here hate everything UT does

You're right, you dont learn on the job at Texas, but Mack will groom him so that it will be a smooth transition once Muschamp does take over.
I think that's the key nowadays: smooth transition.

Though Wisconsin has struggled this year they are a whopping 27-10 under Bret Bielema and he was groomed under Barry Alvarez.
Old 11-18-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

Unless Mack is planning on retiring within the next 3 years, I don't see UT keeping Muschamp anyway. This guy has built up a lot of buzz, and I'd be suprised if offers dont start rolling in this offseason. I love the guy's passion. I think if he took over the program he could be the coach to build them into the kind of powerhouse they are capable of becomming.
Old 11-18-2008, 11:22 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

This is just an attempt to keep him from taking the first mid-level job that comes his way. I have a tough time seeing him sticking around long enough to succeed Brown when there is eventually going to be someone willing to give him significantly more than what he is getting as an assistant at Texas to come be their head coach.

What happens if the defense has a couple of down years? FSU has already dubbed Jimbo Fisher as Bowden's heir apparent and since he has failed to turn the offense around there is already talk of them paying the buyout clause when the time comes to hire a new coach.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 11:01 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

This strikes me as odd as Mack Brown is only 57. Kentucky has done this with Rich Brooks, who is nearing 70, by naming offensive coordinator Joker Phillips "coach in waiting." So far, it's worked. But it seems odd to do this to a coach who could easily have 10 years left...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:09 AM   #9
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Agreed. It makes sense when you have a coach who you know will only be around until his current deal is up, but, like you said Mack could easily be around for another 10 years or even 20. Look at guys like JoePa and Bobby Bowden...

Lou Holtz brought this up during last night's game on ESPN. He said he was given a similar offer from OSU and Woody Hayes to be his successor. Holtz said he was told by Hayes he was only planning on coaching another couple of years only to see him hang on for another 9 seasons. Lou said he was glad to have turned it down as he didn't want to be waiting in the wings for Hayes to retire all the while passing up other head coaching gigs. He also talked about the wisdom of taking a lesser job as your first head coaching job just so you can get your legs under you and establish a program that works for you instead of jumping right into the fire at a school like Texas that expects you to win right away.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:20 PM   #10
coachJ
All-Star Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Agreed. It makes sense when you have a coach who you know will only be around until his current deal is up, but, like you said Mack could easily be around for another 10 years or even 20. Look at guys like JoePa and Bobby Bowden...
Mack Brown also has 8 years left on his current deal.... :thumbdown:

This move was just to keep Muschamp around for at least another year, maybe 2, because he has the defense playing the best football it has in a few years. Unless Mack thinks he's done it all and calls it quits within the next couple years, i dont see Muschamp staying around.
Old 11-21-2008, 03:51 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Basically, I think it is to try and keep him from taking a mid level job to cut his teeth on before landing a marquee job somewhere else.

Cincy's coach is rumored to be high on the list at Tennessee and would be a good job for a guy like Muschamp to start out in. But I doubt Cincy is going to give him significantly more than what Texas is giving him to stick around next year.

However, I find it hard to believe that he would stick around if say a school like Tennessee or Clemson comes offering over a mil to come coach their team.