Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 12-08-2008, 02:41 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Thoughts and Observations as We Head Down the Stretch

Tony Romo is still not an elite NFL QB. Any time the Cowboys are in a big game post-November Romo looks like a guy making his first NFL start. I wonder if those jumping back on the Dallas bandwagon will now realize their revitalization the past couple of weeks had more to do with who they were playing and less to do with who was and was not healthy. I'll give you that not having Romo in the lineup probably cost them a couple of games there, but simply because they whip up on teams like Seattle and San Francisco does not mean you are back to being serious contenders again.

I want to believe the Steelers are legit, but I just don't know that their o-line is going to stand up to get them into the Super Bowl.

Mike Singletary will be the 49ers head coach going into the 2009 season. He has rallied the team to win 3 of its last 4, beating a good Jets team and becoming the first west coast coach to win in the eastern time zone this season when SF beat the Bills a couple of weeks ago. The Niners currently stand at 5-8 and I would not be shocked if they end up 7-9.

Remember when everyone chided the Texans for taking Mario Williams at the top of the '06 draft? I wonder who is laughing now? Williams has emerged as one of the best young pass rushers in the league posting 14.5 sacks last season and 11 thus far this season while Bush has struggled to stay healthy the last two years and has yet to post a double digit TD season after we were told by everyone who knows that the was going to routinely post 18-20 a season because he was that good of a player.

Houston will finish the season 8-8 and everyone will be talking about them being a team to watch in '09 just like they did last summer after they went 8-8 in '08. They need to keep giving Steve Slaton the ball. The Texans are 4-2 when he gets 20+ touches and 2-5 when he does not. Slaton looks to be that back that the Texans have been looking for the past few years and he reminds quite a bit of Brian Westbrook.

What happened to Green Bay's defense? Aaron Rodgers has played about as well as anyone could have expected him to. In fact he is on pace to post comparable numbers to that of Favre's last year. But Green Bay's defense, a big key to last year's success, has been MIA here of late.

The Redskins appear to be heading in the wrong direction quickly. Jason Campbell looked to be having a breakout season the first half of the year in leading the 'Skins to an 6-2 start but since then they have slipped to 7-6 and will be hard pressed to win 10 games with the suddenly resurgent Eagles and upstart Niners left to play. Campbell has gone from looking like a guy who was taking the next step to being a quality QB to a guy looking more and more like he is just going to be a servicable QB in this league. It will be interesting to see what the 'Skins do in the offseason. Do they stick with Campbell or do they go out and try and get someone in the draft or via free agency?

Don't look now but the Colts have are getting healthy and getting their mojo back and have quietly won 6 in a row and now sit at 9-4.

It is beginning to look like the AFC East is only going to be sending one team to the post season this year which means either Brett Favre or Bill Belichick could be on the outside looking in.

I think the NFC East was a bit overrated at the beginning of the year while the NFC South was a bit underrated.

It is going to be interesting to see which coaching jobs open up at the end of the year. I think Reid is probably in the process of saving his job in Philly.

Will Jerry can Wade when the Cowboys flame out again in the playoffs, if they make the playoffs?

I think Herm is probably out in KC.

Jack Del Rio will probably get another year to redeem himself in JAX.

Crennel is gone in Cleveland and it is already being rumored that Schottenheimer is coming back to Cleveland. Why, I don't know.

Haslett's not getting the gig in STL. They have gone back to sucking out loud again.

Marinelli is out in Detroit.

I'd like to think Cincy will make a change, but everything I hear says they are not inclined to fire Marvin Lewis.

I think Jim Mora Jr. was supposed to succeed Holmgren in Seattle but do you really keep anyone from a staff that has won just 2 of its first 13 this year?

God only knows who will be the coach in Oakland next year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 04:48 PM   #2
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

If, or is it when, the Cowboys get rid of Phillips, are they ready to hand the reigns over to Jason Garrett? He has not proven to me that hes the stud-play caller everyone thought he was when he came to Dallas. Sure, they had a good offense last year, but id be willing to bet that just about any offensive coordinator in the league could have produced just as good results as Garrett did with all the talent they have.

So who do the Cowboys name the head coach? Garrett? Possibly go after Cowher?
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 05:28 PM   #3
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

I have a hard time in seeing Cowher having any interest in taking that job unless he does it for the money Jones would have to throw his way to lure him down there.

Unless Jerry is willing to check his ego at the door he will be right back where he was in another few years when Cowher has enough and leaves him high and dry. Jones wants a yes man as his head coach who won't get pissy with him when he tries to tell him how to run the team. He ran Parcells and Johnson out of town because he couldn't check his ego at the door and he would likely do the same with Cowher. Why do you think he ended up with Wade Phillips in the first place?

Besides, I am not sure Cowher's idea of running a team meshes entirely with Jones. I think they are at opposite ends of the spectrum in terms of that philosophy. That is why it never really clicked with Parcells there.
Old 12-08-2008, 08:06 PM   #4
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Yeah, I'm not sure Cowher would be flashy enough for Jerry Jones.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 11:10 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
Yeah, I'm not sure Cowher would be flashy enough for Jerry Jones.
And Wade Phillips is?

I think it has more to do with Cowher tends to prefer the grind it out knock guys in the mouth kind of football while Jerry tends to treat his roster like a glorified fantasy football team.
Old 12-09-2008, 12:19 AM   #6
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

I was just throwing names out there, but i highly doubt that Cowher comes to Dallas. As you said, until Jones can give something up, I doubt he will get a great coach to come to Dallas.

What do yall think about Garrett as the head guy in Dallas though? Just curious...
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:33 AM   #7
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Down the stretch, the Panthers running game could be quite an asset for them. They can control the clock with Stewart and Williams, and let their defense do their jobs.
They could be the best team in football right now.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 12:52 AM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
And Wade Phillips is?

I think it has more to do with Cowher tends to prefer the grind it out knock guys in the mouth kind of football while Jerry tends to treat his roster like a glorified fantasy football team.
In the sense that Phillips is OK with Romo chucking the ball to TO way too much, yeah.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:42 AM   #9
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The Eagles may very well get "Lasix-ed out" of the playoffs!

They may very well win out, but if the Falcons also do so, and the Buccaneers win two of their last three (beating the Chargers and Raiders at home after losing in Atlanta this Sunday), three NFC South teams will finish at least 11-5, with the Eagles at 10-5-1.

Besides the aforementioned Tampa Bay game, the Falcons end the year at home against St. Louis. In between those two games, the Falcons are at Minnesota - and what if Kevin and Pat Williams lose their battle in court and get suspended, as Roger Goodell is confidently expecting? In that case the Falcons almost certainly beat the Vikings, as Atlanta is 7-0 when Michael Turner runs for 82 yards or more, and 1-5 when he doesn't - and what chance does Minnesota have of holding Turner to less than 82 yards if the Williamses aren't in there?

If this in fact occurs, the Eagles would become the first five-loss team to miss the playoffs since the playoff field was expanded to twelve teams in 1990.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 01:42 PM   #10
BettorFan
Sports Enthusiast

BettorFan is on a distinguished road

The Colts have been putting a nice run recently and will make the playoffs

Fassel goes to Oakland

In the end of Romos illustrious career, no one will remember when he failed to convert the pass that took his team to the Playoffs

Favre gets injured in Week 16 and Clemens turns into the Tom Brady of the NFL.

Kurt Warner and his band of elite wr's defeat the Giants and make the Superbowl.
BettorFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 02:12 PM   #11
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Down the stretch, the Panthers running game could be quite an asset for them. They can control the clock with Stewart and Williams, and let their defense do their jobs.
They could be the best team in football right now.
The crazy thing about that game is the Bucs actually held the ball longer than the Panthers did. Given that they ran for 300 yards one would have thought they dominated time of possession but they did not.

I don't know that I would make an argument for them being the best team in the league right now. The game on Monday night was arguably the best they have played all year, but the secondary was pretty atrocious. The defense has basically been good enough this year but it is not the same defense they had a couple of years ago and Delhomme is still a bit sketchy at times. The one thing they have going for them is they seem to be able to run the ball on just about anyone this year and as long as you play solid defense and can run the ball you typically have success in the NFL.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:16 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachJ View Post
I was just throwing names out there, but i highly doubt that Cowher comes to Dallas. As you said, until Jones can give something up, I doubt he will get a great coach to come to Dallas.

What do yall think about Garrett as the head guy in Dallas though? Just curious...
Kind of hard to say just yet. A lot would depend on which jobs come open after the season and who the hot coordinators are coming out of the playoffs.

But, I would say if it is not Garrett he ends up with another retread coach that will take any job thrown his way like a Jim Fassel.

Kind of hard to say how Garett will do until he gets the job, but some of his play calling has left a little to be desired at times. He is probably no worse of a selection than any of the other coordinators out there.

Last edited by doublee; 12-10-2008 at 02:24 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
What happened to Green Bay's defense? Aaron Rodgers has played about as well as anyone could have expected him to. In fact he is on pace to post comparable numbers to that of Favre's last year. But Green Bay's defense, a big key to last year's success, has been MIA here of late.
I am incredibly disappointed in my team and hate to play the excuse card, but injuries are a major factor. They've lost significant pieces all over the defense, from DT Cullen Jenkins to LB Nick Barnett to S Atari Bigby. Make no mistake, the defense's collapse has been the Packers' undoing. The offense still has made big plays and Rodgers has proven to be a franchise QB. Ryan Grant has disappointed, but I'm not ready to write him off since he has also dealt with injuries.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:42 PM   #14
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

As to the Vikings, I think they will make the playoffs, but as a 9-7 team. They are in a weak division this season. All they need to do is have the Bears lose one more game.
My take on the Williamses is this. They did not use any medication to mask illegal substances. They are both huge and wanted to drop a bit of water weight to help them with their quickness. Another case where not knowing what athletes are putting into their bodies may cost the player significant time to suspension.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 09:20 AM   #15
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
My take on the Williamses is this. They did not use any medication to mask illegal substances. They are both huge and wanted to drop a bit of water weight to help them with their quickness. Another case where not knowing what athletes are putting into their bodies may cost the player significant time to suspension.

Either that, or they just wanted to drive around with their sun roofs down without risking a nosebleed!
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote