Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2007, 02:19 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land
 
buckeyefan78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 12,864
buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Ex-generals: Global Warming threatens U.S. security...

Global warming poses a "serious threat to America's national security" according to a new report issued by a think tank called the CNA Corporation.

"Climate change exacerbates already unstable situations," former U.S. Army chief of staff Gordon Sullivan told Associated Press Radio. "Everybody needs to start paying attention to what's going on. I don't think this is a particularly hard sell in the Pentagon. ... We're paying attention to what those security implications are."

"Weakened and failing governments, with an already thin margin for survival, foster the conditions for internal conflicts, extremism and movement toward increased authoritarianism and radical ideologies," the report says. "The U.S. will be drawn more frequently into these situations."

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/04/15/war....ap/index.html

**********************************************************

Hogwash?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #2
IntheNet
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,198
IntheNet is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Hogwash?
Yes.

Meanwhile, snowstorms in April and general cold nationwide show that "global warming" is the biggest fiction hoisted upon the public since aliens in Roswell. Gore has to keep moving his "global warming" fests due to cold weather; and the funniest thing is that liberals are buying into this "global warming" claptrap despite real world evidence to the contrary...
__________________
no vivzig pimps
IntheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:52 PM   #3
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheNet View Post
Yes.

Meanwhile, snowstorms in April and general cold nationwide show that "global warming" is the biggest fiction hoisted upon the public since aliens in Roswell. Gore has to keep moving his "global warming" fests due to cold weather; and the funniest thing is that liberals are buying into this "global warming" claptrap despite real world evidence to the contrary...
IntheNet,

Show me one global warming scientists or advocate that said, "it will never snow in April again," or, "every year will be warmer than the previous year." We will continue to have cold springs occasionally, and mild summers. It is an overall trend that you are failing to understand. There are many factors that determine the weather of a certain season, so occasional cold weather will continue to occur.

The fact that you continually make statements like this shows your lack of understanding of the science on the issue. Once again, your opinion becomes irrelevant when you demonstrate the inability to comprehend the issue.
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 08:28 PM   #4
Marc
Administrator
 
Marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Lake Wylie, SC
Posts: 26,548
Marc will become famous soon enough
Default

Yes, the "but it's cold now, global warming therefore is a farce" argument is misguided. Global warming means weather has wild fluctuations, and this is one of them. Even with a below-average month, it's still warmer on the whole. Keep the big picture in mind...
__________________
Marc James - SCMB Administrator | Sports Central Managing Editor & Founder
Teams: [Kentucky Wildcats] [Green Bay Packers] [Charlotte Hornets]
Follow on Twitter: @mnjames | @sportcentral
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 12:58 AM   #5
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!
 
DETMURDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: God's Green Earth
Posts: 1,703
DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Yes, the "but it's cold now, global warming therefore is a farce" argument is misguided. Global warming means weather has wild fluctuations, and this is one of them. Even with a below-average month, it's still warmer on the whole. Keep the big picture in mind...
Ah,...consider the source of this silly article,...CNN!:lol::thumbdown:
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:45 AM   #6
IntheNet
Hall of Famer
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: NOVA
Posts: 1,198
IntheNet is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
Show me one global warming scientists or advocate that said, "it will never snow in April again," or, "every year will be warmer than the previous year." We will continue to have cold springs occasionally, and mild summers. It is an overall trend that you are failing to understand...
It is an overall trend that you are failing to understand...
It is an overall trend that you are failing to understand...
It is an overall trend that you are failing to understand...

And that trend - in the United States - is to cooler not warmer weather!
Check with the Meteorological Records. Global Warming is a farce. It is the reverse that is more accurate! What is causing this? Man? No. The earth's weather goes through phases and and we are in a COLD not a warm phase.

I can't understand how you can honestly agree with these 'global warming' fanaticos; they are all kooks!
__________________
no vivzig pimps
IntheNet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 10:23 AM   #7
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
Yes, the "but it's cold now, global warming therefore is a farce" argument is misguided. Global warming means weather has wild fluctuations, and this is one of them. Even with a below-average month, it's still warmer on the whole. Keep the big picture in mind...
Thanks Marc. Sometimes I think the whole world has gone mad, then someone ike you restores my faith.

Quote:
And that trend - in the United States - is to cooler not warmer weather!
Wrong. The 6 warmest years on record have all occure within the last 10 years. Do some reading, you will be shocked at what you actually learn.

Quote:
I can't understand how you can honestly agree with these 'global warming' fanaticos; they are all kooks!
I guess the majority of the population, the majority of government, and the majority of experts are all "fanaticos" and "kooks." IntheNet, you are in the minority on this issue, which makes YOU the kook.

The only people who disagree with global warming do so for political reasons.
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:22 PM   #8
Montrovant
Hatecarver
 
Montrovant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Tampa
Posts: 685
Montrovant is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
The only people who disagree with global warming do so for political reasons.
Don't be silly CK I'm sure there are plenty who disagree with (or at least have serious reservations about) global warming for reasons other than politics. It may seem 'obvious' to you, but it's not going to to everyone.
Montrovant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 03:24 PM   #9
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
I'm sure there are plenty who disagree with (or at least have serious reservations about) global warming for reasons other than politics.
Well, not in the field of science. I challenge anyone to find me one scientists who questions global warming who has NOT recieved funding from conservative organizations or oil companies.

You either have to be ignorant of the issue, or politically motivated to question the fact that the earth is warming, and at an alarming rate.
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:39 AM   #10
catman
Humble MLB Moderator
 
catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 9,328
catman will become famous soon enough
Default

Fresh, look at the list of 60 scientists I provided. Check out their backgrounds and their funding sources. You might be surprised to find that at least one fits the category you want.
As to continuing your conflict in this thread, I will not do so. Sorry to disappoint you.
__________________
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 11:26 AM   #11
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Fresh, look at the list of 60 scientists I provided
I will take the time to discredit each and every one of them, but if I do so, what will that do? Would that change your opinion at all? If everyone of them was funded by oil companies and conservative groups, would you back of your stance a bit?

I doubt it.
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:22 PM   #12
catman
Humble MLB Moderator
 
catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 9,328
catman will become famous soon enough
Default

Fresh, I would think that you, of all people, would want to find out who those scientists get their funding from, just to discredit them. I've already stated that I do not think IPCC has any credibility whatsoever, having gone into their meetings with a pre-ordained goal in mind, so my mind will not likely be swayed at all. I think these 60 scientists are far more credible than the entire IPCC, but whatever floats your boat, do it.
Have fun and issue a full report, OK?
__________________
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:26 PM   #13
catman
Humble MLB Moderator
 
catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 9,328
catman will become famous soon enough
Default

Just for the record, I agree that the earth is warmer now than it was a few years ago, easily explained due to climatic cycles. If the warming has continued for another 10 years, I might be persuaded to believe that it is something other than natural cycles, as we are nearing the end of one of these 30 year cycles.
__________________
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 12:36 PM   #14
CKFresh
Most Hated Member
 
CKFresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 7,377
CKFresh will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
I think these 60 scientists are far more credible than the entire IPCC, but whatever floats your boat, do it.
What about the scientists in the IPCC picked by the US government. What is your opinion of them?

Can you please answer that question...

Quote:
Just for the record, I agree that the earth is warmer now than it was a few years ago
catman,

Do can you name which years were the 5 warmest year in recorded history?
__________________
Do yourself a favor, become your own savior.

Think Fresh.

Last edited by CKFresh; 04-17-2007 at 12:51 PM.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 01:32 PM   #15
catman
Humble MLB Moderator
 
catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Central Iowa
Posts: 9,328
catman will become famous soon enough
Default

I have very little to say about the people picked by the US Government to represent us at the IPCC. They went into the conference, had the verdict handed to them, and molded their findings to make the verdict seem plausible (my opinion, but a very real possiblity).
As to me listing something you have already listed, it would be pointless. I do not disagree, however I will ask for proof that it is warmer now than it was 300,000 years ago or 5,000,000 years ago. Remember, nearly all of the US was once covered by a tropical sea, and the earth did not change its axis appreciably.
I will not participate in your argument. I will simply ask you to see that there are alternative explanations to the warming we are seeing presently. I will also say that if in 10 years it is still warming, I might be persuaded to believe that this is something other than the natural climatic cycle -- remembering that we are nearing the end of one of the 30-year cycles.
__________________
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans...." John Lennon

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
McCain lauds security... buckeyefan78 Politics & Religion 1 04-01-2007 01:51 PM
Get The Global Warming Snow Shovel Now! DETMURDS Politics & Religion 47 02-19-2007 03:59 PM



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:31 AM.