Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 05-31-2007, 03:38 PM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Player You Would Start a Franchise With?

A player like Tom Brady would be good as well as picking Peyton Manning. Both are winners and both can pass for a lot of yards.

LaDainian Tomlinson would be another one.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2884722
Old 05-31-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

I think Carson Palmer is the best pick (surprise surprise!).

I look at it this way. Brady and Manning are both beginning to pass their prime. Palmer has his ebst years in front of him, while it is very possible that Manning and Brady have their best years behind them.

Since we are talking about starting a franchise, Palmer is the safest bet.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 06:37 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I have to agree with Palmer if you are picking someone to start with. As for rushers, Frank Gore and Stephen Jackson are both young and top-five rushers in 2006.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 04:50 PM   #4
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Here'd be my targets, in order:

Carson Palmer
Left Tackle under 28
DT under 28
Middle LB who can lead

A running back is down the line a little
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2007, 06:46 PM   #5
Kamikaze
Football Maniac

Kamikaze is on a distinguished road

LT would be my choice.

You can't do anything in the NFL if you can't run the ball. We've seen teams win the Super Bowl with mediocre QB's (ala Trent Green) but never with a mediocre RB. You have to be able to run the ball to win.
Old 06-03-2007, 04:53 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The first things I'd get on offense are two wide receivers who can run holes in the wind, and the first things I'd get on defense are two huge defensive tackles.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 11:01 AM   #7
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

If I were starting a franchise I'd go with Tom Brady (surprise!!). He's a proven winner, still young and easily has 5 or more great years in him. That would bring in the in the wins which equals $$$. Then I could replace him when he gets older with new blood for top $.
Old 06-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #8
truta1
Rookie Player

truta1 is on a distinguished road
Default Golden Boy For a Golden Franchise

Three Super Bowls, two Super Bowl MVP awards, the longest win streak in NFL history and a birth in the AFC Championship with a shuffled around offensive line and Jabar Gaffney as a primary receiver. I guess there’s a reason they call him the Golden Boy. Tom Brady is exactly what you want for a franchise, because no matter what you give him he wins. Take away Wayne and Harrison from Peyton, or Chad Johnson from Palmer, and they’ll seem mortal. Give them a suspect offensive line, a rookie running back and a sub-par receiving corps, and they won’t even seem that. Brady is a winner, plain and simple, and that’s all that matters.
truta1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 02:24 AM   #9
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I'd start with a tough running back like LT. He doesn't need as much blocking as others do. As far as QBs go, Tom Brady would be as good a place to start as anyone, but Vince Young will be pretty good as well.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
grizzle_810
All-Star Player

grizzle_810 is on a distinguished road

I would start with a QB. Brady, Manning, Palmer or Brees. I would take any of them.

After that it would be O-Line. why? look at the texans. everyone was hype about david carr. their o-line was terrible. result: the houstan texans.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by truta1 View Post
Three Super Bowls, two Super Bowl MVP awards, the longest win streak in NFL history and a birth in the AFC Championship with a shuffled around offensive line and Jabar Gaffney as a primary receiver. I guess there’s a reason they call him the Golden Boy. Tom Brady is exactly what you want for a franchise, because no matter what you give him he wins. Take away Wayne and Harrison from Peyton, or Chad Johnson from Palmer, and they’ll seem mortal. Give them a suspect offensive line, a rookie running back and a sub-par receiving corps, and they won’t even seem that. Brady is a winner, plain and simple, and that’s all that matters.
Disagree comletely. Palmer and Manning make their receivers better. Sure, it is nice to have Chad or Marvin, but take a look at Chad's numbers before Palmer arrived. Since Palmer arrived Chad has led the AFC, or the NFL in receiving yards in every season. Before Palmer Chad was just above average.

I don't want to take anything away from Brady, but how do we know if he would be such a "winner" without Bellicheck? I mean, isn't it possible that the coach simply knows how to win, and Brady fits the system very well? Do you think Brady would be as good in...say... Philadelphia? I don't.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote