Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-26-2008, 05:16 AM   #1
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default 8-8 Playoff Teams??

Hey Anthony - can you give me hand with this one please?

1. Has there ever been an 8-8 Division Winner?
2. Is it possible for a team to win their division under .500 @ 7-9 (excluding ties)?

We have two really strange divisions in the NFL this season:

The NFC North and the AFC West.... Both division leaders float a game above .500

It is very possible that both divsion winners could finish 8-8..

What'd you guys think?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:43 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

1. Cleveland won the then AFC Central at 8-8 in 1985.

2. Of course it is mathematically possible; and in a roundabout way, something like that did happen in 2001, when Tennessee finished 7-9 and, due to the following season's realignment, became in effect the first defending AFC South "champion," as the new division's other teams were Indianapolis and Jacksonville, both 6-10 in 2001, and the expansion Houston Texans, who began play in 2002.

But with both another Bears-Vikings and Bears-Packers game still to be played (and both Minnesota and Green Bay each getting to play Detroit next month), it is unlikely that 8-8 will win the NFC North.

In a related development, the all-time NFL mark for worst second-place record ever is in serious jeopardy of falling: The 1975 49ers went 5-9, and either this year's 49ers would have to win at least three of their remaining five games, or either Seattle or St. Louis would have to win four, to prevent that record from being broken.

Last edited by Anthony; 11-26-2008 at 07:03 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 08:05 AM   #3
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Yeah.. duh... I prob should have put a little more thought into that one...

Anyway - I was just messing around and figured out that Denver could win the division with a 6-10 record....

Check it out: (division games in bold)

Denver 6-5
If they lose out they will end up 6-10
They play: Jets, KC, Carolina, Buffalo, SD
Denver finishes 6-10

San Diego 4-7
If they lose out with the exception of their last game they end up 5-11
They play: Atlanta, Oak, KC, Tampa, Den
San Diego finishes 5-11

Oakland 3-8
If they go 1-4 in their last 5 games beating only San Diego they end up 4-12
They play: KC, SD, NE, Houston, Tampa
Oakland finished 4-12

Kansas City 1-10
If they go 3-2 winning all their division games they end up 4-12
They play: Oak, Denver, SD, Miami, Cincy
Kansas City finishes 4-12

Your AFC West Division Winner is the Denver Broncos at 6-10.... wow :thumbdown:
Old 11-26-2008, 09:32 AM   #4
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I'm not sure why, but I think I would enjoy seeing that...
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2008, 05:44 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Well, with my Packers falling to 5-7, I only have a prayer of them ending up 9-7 (reasonable chance with their weak schedule remaining) and winning the division...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 02:03 PM   #6
BettorFan
Sports Enthusiast

BettorFan is on a distinguished road

You would enjoy seeing that? It's a disgrace to NFL.
BettorFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 08:45 PM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HibachiDG View Post
I'm not sure why, but I think I would enjoy seeing that...
I would too; how perverse.

Consider this monstrosity: If the 4 teams in a division all split (3-3) against each other, and then lost all of their non-division games, then you would have a 4-way tie, (and a tiebreaker and a division winner/playoff team) at 3-13.

With 8 4-team divisions, it's if, not when, a team wins the division with a losing record. I'm surprised it hasn't happened already. What if the Raiders instead of the Cardinals were in the NFC West?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2008, 11:03 AM   #8
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Anything is possible in the NFL Today.:lol:
Old 12-03-2008, 05:11 AM   #9
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Meanwhile, this idea is making the rounds again; Marc may have already seen this as it appeared in the Charlotte Observer last week.

Line of Scrimmage: Week 13 - Another Appeal to Expand Playoffs
By Tony Moss, Sports Network
The Sports Network
Posted: Tuesday, Nov. 25, 2008

The great W. Axl Rose once sang about beating a dead horse, and in honor of Axl, who this week finally allowed Guns' N' Roses' first new album in 14 years to be released into the wild, I'm going to beat one too.

Regular readers of this space know that I've long championed a expansion of the playoff bracket from 12 teams to 14, and it appears that my point is going to be made for me this season.

Take a look at the AFC standings, where there are currently nine teams at 6-5 or better, only six of which can make the playoffs.

If the season were to end today, the 7-4 Patriots and 6-5 Dolphins and Bills would all be staying home. Yup, in the AFC East, arguably the best division in the league from top to bottom at the moment, only one entry - the 8-3 Jets - would be permitted into the postseason. Anybody think the Patriots might be able to win a playoff game, or four? Too bad, because the NFL thinks they would water down the playoffs the same way the 10-6 Browns would have last year.

Now head over to the NFC, where there are no fewer than 10 teams with winning records, including seven of 7-4 or better.

If these standings were to hold up over the final five weeks, we'd be bouncing the 7-4 Cowboys and Falcons, and the 6-5 Saints and Vikings.

Again, two quality teams that happen to play in brutally tough divisions - Dallas and Atlanta - would be penalized as much for the competition they've faced as anything else. No Tony Romo, Matt Ryan, Terrell Owens, or Michael Turner, and two of the great potential stories of the 2008 season cast aside.

Now, no one wants this to be the NHL, where everybody makes the playoffs and casual fans don't care about the regular season unless Todd Bertuzzi tries to murder someone on the ice.

But there is clearly room to expand the playoffs to a point where double- digit-win teams are nearly guaranteed to play at least a game in January, and still maintain the excitement of regular season football.

Let's all remember that a 10-6 team, the 2007 Giants, are the defending Super Bowl champions, and a number of the potentially vanquished non-playoff clubs of this year could finish with an identical record.

The setup of a 14-team playoff bracket would be simple. Under this system, only the No. 1 seed in each conference would get a bye, while the No. 2 seed would have to play the No. 7. Last year, you would have watched Colts/Browns and Packers/Vikings, two pretty intriguing Wild Card round tilts.

Opponents of this system have said the teams with byes would have too clear a path to the Super Bowl, but to that I say two things. One, that's good, because you want your best two teams in the Super Bowl and two, don't worry about it, because a team with a first-round bye hasn't won a Super Bowl since the 2004 Patriots.

Such a setup would also create a natural avenue for television, with 1:00, 4:30, and 8:00 ET games to occupy viewers on both Saturday and Sunday of Wild Card weekend. Such a phenomenon would rival the first two days of March Madness in terms of the excitement it would generate among fans.

What's it going to take for the playoffs to be expanded? Well, wait for one or more of the New York teams to get left on the outside looking in, or watch how the pace of discussion picks up when major power-wielding owners like Jerry Jones, Daniel Snyder, or Arthur Blank are left at the altar.

Until that day, those of us looking for more of an inclusive postseason system will just have to wait, wonder, and keep on beating that dead horse.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote