Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-07-2001, 01:10 AM   #1
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough
Default Professional Football Rankings Week 8

Rankings reflect all games played from Sept. 9th through Nov. 5th. New rankings each Tuesday. I also pick the winners each week.

*Number 1--ST. LOUIS RAMS--(6-1)-Rams enjoyed a needed bye this past week. QB Kurt Warner has passed for 2,164 yards so far this season. Leads all NFL QB's in passing yards. I'll stick with the Rams another week and see how Oakland does this coming Sunday. Next game Nov. 11th against Carolina at home. I predict a big win by St. Louis.

*Number 2--OAKLAND RAIDERS--(6-1)-Who let the dogs out? Head coach Jon Gruden did. Raiders crushed Denver 38-20 on Monday Night Football. Wide receiver Tim Brown caught nine passes for 95 yards and two TD's. QB Rich Gannon completed 25-34 for 234 yards and three TD's. Tough defense with linebacker Travian Smith who recorded two sacks. He had five solo tackles in that win. Next game Nov. 11th against Seattle in Seattle. I must predict Oakland to win.

*Number 3--CHICAGO BEARS--(6-1)-Bears rose to the occasion again in OT, and beat their old nemisis, the Cleveland Browns, 27-21. Bears QB Shane Matthews completed 30-50 for 357 yards and two TD's, both of them in the final minutes of regulation. Safety Mike Brown returned an interception 16 yards to win it in OT. He did that last week against San Francisco, when he returned a 33 yarder for a TD in OT. Simply amazing! Next game Nov. 11th against Green Bay at home. What a game that will be. I must predict Green Bay to bring Chicago back down to earth with a win.

*Number 4--PITTSBURGH STEELERS--(5-2)-Steelers lost to Baltimore 13-10. Nothing to be ashamed about. Both team's defenses played well. Running back Jerome "the bus" Bettis didn't gain 100 yards this week, but got close with 91 yards on 23 carries. Receiver Hines Ward caught nine passes for 97 yards, but no TD. Linebacker Joey Porter earned two sacks against the Ravens. He now has seven on the year. Next game Nov. 11th against Cleveland in Cleveland. I predict Pittsburgh to win.

*Number 5--GREEN BAY PACKERS--(5-2)-Packers won against their division rival, the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 21-20, at home. RB Ahman Green rushed for 169 yards, a career high for him. He scored on a 63 yard TD run. Punt returner Allen Rossum returned one back 55 yards for a TD in the fourth quarter, with three minutes remaining to help his team win the game. Next game Nov. 11th against Chicago in Chicago.

*Number 6--MIAMI DOLPHINS--(5-2)-Dolphins drown Carolina in 23-6 win at home. QB Jay Fiedler completed 20-33 for 287 yards and one TD. He threw one INT. Receiver Oronde Gadsden caught five passes for 102 yards. Next game Nov. 11th against Indianapolis in Indy. I pick Miami to win.

*Number 7--SAN FRANCISCO 49ers--(5-2)-49ers beat the lowly Detroit Lions 21-13. Receiver Terrell Owens caught nine passes for 125 yards and two TD's, after criticizing head coach Mariucci's game plan, in last week's loss to Chicago. I hope they kissed and made up now. Next game Nov. 11th against New Orleans in S.F. I predict New Orleans to win.

*Number 8--SAN DIEGO CHARGERS--(5-3)-Chargers lost heartbreaker to Kansas City at home 25-20. QB Doug Flutie knocked out and suffered a concussion in that bitter loss. Rookie QB Drew Brees of Purdue came in and completed 15-27 for 221 yards and one TD. Safety Rogers Beckett had 10 solo tackles and three assists. Next game Nov. 11th aganist Denver at Denver. I predict Denver to win.

*Number 9--NEW YORK JETS--(5-3)-Jets beat New Orleans 16-9 at the Superdome. FGK John Hall kicked three successful field goals out of four attempts. RB Curtis Martin leads all rushers in the NFL with 804 yards rushing on the season. DE John Abraham registered three sacks on Saints QB Aaron Brooks. He has seven for the year. Defense recorded six sacks for the entire game. Next game Nov. 11th against Kansas City at home. I pick New York to win.

*Number 10--CLEVELAND BROWNS--(4-3)-Browns had the game won, but let the Chicago Bears come back and beat them in overtime 27-21. I had announced to a friend that Cleveland had won the game, but never turn that TV off, before the game is over. It reminded me of the famous "Heidi Bowl" almost. Receiver Kevin Johnson caught five passes for 99 yards. QB Tim Couch threw for 211 yards, a TD and an INT. He needs more quality receivers to throw to. Defensive end Courtney Brown recorded three sacks in that game. Next game Nov. 11th against Pittsburgh at home.

Number 11--BALTIMORE RAVENS--(5-3)-Ravens beat Pittsburgh 13-10. A win is a win. Baltimore only had 10 first downs the entire game. Next game Nov. 4th against Pittsburgh in Pittsburgh. QB Elvis Grbac should return to play against Tennessee on Monday Night Football Nov. 12th. Not sure if that is good or not. I predict Tennessee to win.

*Number 12-NEW ORLEANS SAINTS--(4-3)-Offensive lineman Kyle Turley loses his temper and the game for his team, while defending his quarterback Aaron Brooks from Jets defenders. Turley later fined $25,000.00 for his actions. Saints would have had the ball inside the five, but the two penalties pushed the Saints back beyond the 20. Saint lost 16-9. Saints looked awful on offense and Brooks didn't look sharp at all. Next game Nov. 11th against San Francisco in S.F.

*Number 13--CINCINNATI BENGALS--(4-3)-Bengals enjoyed a bye this past week. Running back Corey Dillon has rushed for 625 yards on 150 carries, along with four TD's so far this season. Next game Nov. 11th against Jacksonville in Jacksonville. I pick Cincinnati to win.

*Number 14--PHILADELPHIA EAGLES--(4-3)-Eagles beat Arizona 21-7 in Arizona. Brian Mitchell returned the opening kickoff 94 yards for a TD. Receiver James Trash caught four passes for 80 yards and two TD's. Defensive end Hugh Douglass recorded two sacks on Arizona's QB Jake Plummer. Eagles had 11 penalties for 92 yards. Not good. Next game Nov. 11th against Minnesota at home. I predict Minnesota to win.

*Number 15--INDIANAPOLIS COLTS--(4-3)-Colts beat Buffalo 30-14 in Buffalo. Offense starting to wake up some. Running back Edgerrin James missed his first game in three years due to an injury suffered last week. His replacement Dominic Rhodes rushed for 100 yeards on 34 carries with one TD. QB Peyton Manning completed 17-27 for 199 yards and one TD. Not very impressive stats for him. Next game Nov. 11th against Miami at home. I pick Indianapolis to win.

* Number 16-DENVER BRONCOS--(4-4)-Broncos lost to Oakland on MNF 38-28. Terrell Davis is back and he rushed for 70 yards on 17 carries, but no TD's. WR Rod Smith caught ten passes for 91 yards and two TD's. He has 67 receptions on the year, leading the NFL. He also leads the NFL with 849 yards. Next game Nov. 11th against San Diego at Denver. I pick Denver to win.

*Number 17--NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS--(4-4)-Pat's beat Atlanta in Atlanta 24-10. QB Tom Brady rebounded from last week's terrible start to lead his team to victory. He completed 21-31 for 250 yards and three TD's. RB Antowain Smith rushed for 117 yards on 23 carries. DE Willie McGinest registered two sacks on the day. Pat's sacked Atlanta's QB Chris Chandler six times and Michael Vick three times. Next game Nov. 11th against Buffalo at home. I pick Buffalo to win in an upset. Stupid me!

*Number 18--NEW YORK GIANTS--(4-4)Giants caught up and beat Dallas in OT, 27-24. FGK Morten Andersen kicked a 41 yard field goal to win the game. QB Kerry Collins completed 24-34 for 280 yards and three TD's. He threw two INT's. Receiver Ike Hilliard caught seven passes for 63 yards and a TD. Linebacker Michael Barrow had nine solo tackles and five assists. Defense had four interceptions on the day. Next game Nov. 11th against Arizona in Arizona. I pick Arizona to win.

*Number 19--TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS--(3-4)-Lost to Green Bay in the closing minutes 21-20. Buc's had nine penalties for 66 yards. Offense held to just 194 yards. Buc's seem to always be picked to go to the Super Bowl, but they disappoint us year after year. I think its time for Coach Dungy to go. Next game Nov. 11th against Detroit in Detroit. I pick Tampa Bay to win.

*Number 20--WASHINGTON REDSKINS--(3-5)-Redskins are on a roll by winning three in a row. They beat Seattle 27-14, behind the rushing of Stephen Davis, who rushed for 142 yards on 32 carries and one TD. Future Hall of Famer DE Bruce Smith recorded two sacks for the day. Linebacker LaVar Arrington severely sprained his ankle. Enjoys a bye this coming week. Plays Denver Nov. 18th.

*Number 21--ATLANTA FALCONS--(3-4)-Falcons lost to New England 24-10. Families of Falcons players arguing in the stands between each other. It was over Michael Vick replacing the injured Chris Chandler. Vick rushed for 50 yards on two carries and completed 2-9 for 56 yards. LB Chris Draft had ten solo tackles and three assists. Next game Nov. 11th against Dallas at home. I pick Atlanta to win.

*Number 22--MINNESOTA VIKINGS--(3-4)-Vikings enjoyed a bye this past week. I hope they focused on improving their offense. Offense has scored 138 points in seven games. Vikings next game Nov. 11th against Philadelphia at Philly.

*Number 23--SEATTLE SEAHAWKS--(3-4)-Seahawks lost to Washington 27-14 in D.C. RB Shaun Alexander rushed for 60 yards on 13 carries and one TD. He scampered for a 41 yard TD in the first quarter. LB LaVon Kirkland had nine solo tackles and two assists. Next game Nov. 11th against Oakland at home.

*Number 24--TENNESSEE TITANS--(3-4)-Titans beat Jacksonville 28-24. QB Steve McNair completed 27-34 for 241 yards and two TD's. He also rushed for two TD's. He gained 74 yards on 10 carries, out doing teammate Eddie George, who had 70 yards on 22 carries. Jevon Kearse had three sacks of the five sacks against Jacksonville. Next game Nov. 12th against Baltimore at home on Monday Night Football.

*Number 25--DALLAS COWBOYS--(2-5)-Cowboys lost close one to the New York Giants 27-24. Cowboys had a 24-7 lead at halftime. QB Clint Stoerner completed 13-23 for 177 yards and one TD, but he threw four interceptions. Ryan Leaf replaced him late and completed 4-8 for 85 yards. He will start this coming week against Atlanta. Next game Nov. 11th against Atlanta in Dallas. I pick Atlanta to win.

*Number 26--JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS--(2-5)-Jaguars lost to Tennessee 28-24. QB Mark Brunell had a decent game. He completed 21-32 for 261 yards and one TD. The bad news was he threw one INT and got sacked five times. WR Jimmy Smith caught seven passes for 120 yards. Next game is Nov. 11th against Cincinnati at home.

*Number 27--KANSAS CITY CHIEFS--(2-6)-Chiefs actually came from behind and beat San Diego 25-20. RB Priest Holmes had a great game rushing for 181 yards on 30 carries. He scored one TD. Safety Jerome Woods got his first INT of the year and returned it 25 yards. Next game Nov. 11th against New York Jets in New York.

*Number 28--ARIZONA CARDINALS--(2-5)-Cardinals lost 24-7 to Philadelphia. QB Jake Plummer completed 24-41 for 293 yards and one TD. He tossed one INT. WR David Boston was great a usual with eight catches and 138 yards. Cardinals had 20 first downs compared to the Eagles 13, but still lost by a bunch. Next game Nov. 11th against New York Giants at home.

*Number 29--BUFFALO BILLS--(1-6)-Bills got beat by Indianapolis at home 30-14. Bills didn't look too bad after all, with those four straight Super Bowl losses in the 90's. This team is pitiful. Rookie defensive back Nate Clements of Ohio State returned a punt 66 yard for a TD in the second quarter. Next game Nov. 11th against New England at home.

*Number 30--CAROLINA PANTHERS--(1-6)-Panthers are perpetual losers this season for sure. Lost to Miami 23-6 at Miami. Rookie QB Chris Weinke ineffective and got injured(sprained shoulder). Back-up QB Dameyune Craig wasn't much better. Craig did rush for 20 yards on three carries. He hurt his foot later and was replaced by QB Matt Lytle. Next game Nov. 11th against St. Louis in St. Louis.

*Number 31--DETROIT LIONS--(0-7)-May not win a game this year. May be as bad as the 1981 New Orleans Saints, who won only one game and the fans wore paper sacks over their heads. They lost Sunday 21-13 to San Francisco. That wasn't really a bad loss. QB Charlie Batch was 8-20 for 74 yards. Sacked twice. He plays well one week and awful the very next. Defensive end Robert Porcher did have two sacks for the defense. Next game Nov. 11th against Tampa Bay at home.

Old 11-07-2001, 09:10 AM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Pretty good, Keith, thanks. Personally, I think the Steelers, while on a hot streak, are overrated.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote