Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 02-12-2006, 03:26 AM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down Hypocrite Elway Blasts T.O.

In an extroardinary example of "Do as I say, not as I did" hypocrisy, former Broncos QB John Elway has spoken out against soon-to-be free-agent wide receiver Terrell Owens, who may very well be headed to Denver in three weeks.

It seems as if Elway has suffered a convenient memory lapse: Remember back in the spring of 1983, when Elway didn't want to play for the then-Baltimore Colts because their head coach at the time, Frank Kush, was too much of a "martinet" for Elway's taste? The temper tantrum Elway threw went so far as to include a threat to sign a minor-league baseball contract with the Yankees organization if necessary (of course the baby got his bottle so to speak when the Colts got cold feet and traded Elway to Denver after having selected him with the first overall pick in the 1983 draft).

This is a classic case of the pot calling the kettle black - no racial pun intended.

Last edited by Anthony; 02-12-2006 at 07:24 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 11:23 AM   #2
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

Yea I had a real problem with that when I read it too. If you think about it Elway did much more damage to the colts then Owens did to the Eagles. Elway's shun ultimatly lead to an entire franchise relocating now that is quite the impact. So I don't see how he can go after TO like that Elway may be one of the few who have no right at all to go after TO.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:13 AM   #3
n2ojones
HardcoreHawkfan

n2ojones is on a distinguished road

Elway is one of, if not my all-time, favorite QB. But your point is well taken. To expound on your point...lets not forget the coddled son of jack also ordered Pat Bowlen to terminate Dan Reeves...or John would walk.

It was not longer after that, Micheal Jordan told Phil Jackson to draft BJ Armstrong....or he would sit.

Now, conversely...I can't argue that Owens would NOT cripple the Broncos either. I think it would take less than a half season before Owens has Plummer slashing his wrists.

John is still the golden boy in Denver, if he is that set against Owens...my guess is T.O. needs to continue looking for employment.
n2ojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 03:38 AM   #4
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the forum, n2ojones! :wavey:

And have you met your fellow "islander" on this board yet?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2006, 11:52 AM   #5
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2ojones
John is still the golden boy in Denver, if he is that set against Owens...my guess is T.O. needs to continue looking for employment.
Agree Elway is still golden boy, but I bet Denver would still take TO if they want him. That city is hungry for a SB, especially after this last season. I was surprised the ywere even considering TO, but that just shows me how bad they want a win. And yes, it will be a TO saga all over again in Denver... prob worse .

BTW - Aloha. As Anthony pointed out, I am the other "islander".