Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-05-2007, 04:21 PM   #16
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

We'll see about the ratings. But all the factors considered, this will likely be among the lowest-watched Finals ever. If certain things happen (tight series, LeBron goes off, Tony and Eva have sex midcourt) the ratings will go up, but even then it's highly unlikely the ratings will be where they were even a few years ago with the Lakers. Even last year's Finals that had many positive factors (Dallas offense, superstars, famous coach, decent markets) was terrible 8.5 rating.

You might know more about this than I do, but Varejao just seems like all limbs and flop. Gooden actually guards post-up players well and gets in great positioning to rebound the ball. He's done those things since his days in Kansas. Varejao, at the very least, has a reputation for being a flopper and there's no way in hell he's getting calls against Duncan in the Finals.

I think either way LeBron gets his against a zone or man-to-man, but the latter (especially with a team of great defenders) is clearly superior, since it champions talent rather than a scheme. The Cavs are a great rebounding team and one of the easiest ways to limit offensive rebounding is to box-out. How many times did the Pistons allow second and third chances because they were in a zone?

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:29 PM   #17
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

The Spurs are the lesser of two evils Marc. I don't like Bowen much either. Horry did pull a cheap shot on Nash. Still, it wasn't his fault the NBA acted on a stupid rule. Plus the guy is a stand-up dude off the court, doing a lot of charity work (his son has muscular dystrophy I think and he's very involved in finding a cure). Ginobili flops a lot too. Overall I don't like the Spurs much. I do, however, think very highly of Duncan and Popovich. Class acts.

The only person I really like on Cleveland is Big Z. He's been there during the sucky years and he's played through tragedy this season (stillborn death of twins). Hughes has overcome tragedy as well and he seems like a good guy. Varejao flops and Sasha seems like a punk. Damon Jones is a well-known douchebag. LeBron to comes off as a smug superstar. Take for instance the Darfur incident. Ira Newble organized a team letter that condemned China for its contribution to the suffering in Darfur. Everyone on the team -- except Jones and LeBron -- signed the letter. Why you may ask?

http://thinkprogress.org/2007/05/24/...-james-darfur/

"James said he didn’t have enough information about the issue to take a stand. Mr. Jones wouldn’t comment. We can choose to take them at their word, of course — or we can follow the money. Jones has an endorsement contract with an up-and-coming Chinese shoe and apparel company. James has a $90 million deal with Nike, which has huge business interests in China."

Old 06-05-2007, 04:31 PM   #18
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
You might know more about this than I do, but Varejao just seems like all limbs and flop. Gooden actually guards post-up players well and gets in great positioning to rebound the ball. He's done those things since his days in Kansas. Varejao, at the very least, has a reputation for being a flopper and there's no way in hell he's getting calls against Duncan in the Finals.
You are correct, but Varejao is very good. He does flop a lot, but he also get's in very good position to take a charge. Likewise, he is scrappy, he gets nearly every loose ball, and disrupts shots. He can be very frustrating for players, and even Duncan can get rattled. Varejao was huge in the 2 wins that Cleveland had against San Antonio this season.

Quote:
I think either way LeBron gets his against a zone or man-to-man, but the latter (especially with a team of great defenders) is clearly superior, since it champions talent rather than a scheme. The Cavs are a great rebounding team and one of the easiest ways to limit offensive rebounding is to box-out. How many times did the Pistons allow second and third chances because they were in a zone?
I definately see your point, because the Cavs thrive on offensive boards. I just think it is awfully scary to leave Lebron alone with one defender. All he has to do is drive - if no helps comes over, easy lay-up. If help comes, easy assist.

I think it will be a much better series than most are willing to admit.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 04:37 PM   #19
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Going back to Gibson... most of his contributions actually weren't from three's, they were from free-throws. It's difficult to imagine that he will get the same calls against the Spurs, partly because SA gets calls their way but also because they're a better defensive squad.

I think the potential for a good series is here, but it's basically LeBron James and company. Championship teams usually have 2 superstars (Miami, Lakers, Bulls, etc.) Sometimes teams have one superstar and are surrounded by great talent (San Antonio). Cleveland has one superstar and decent talent. The only team I know that won with no superstar were the Pistons in '03. And I'll go back to the coaching point: there's no way I believe Mike Brown will outcoach Gregg Popovich in a seven-game series. It doesn't matter how transcedent LeBron James is, teams need great coaching to win a NBA Finals.

The last time an average coach took a superstar player to the Finals against a well-coached, playoff-tested team? 1994, with Brian Hill and Shaq going against the Rockets. And that series was over before it even started. This series should be better, but frankly, I don't think by much.

Old 06-05-2007, 04:40 PM   #20
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I absolutely CANNOT stand Varejao. He is like the NBA equivalent of Joakim Noah, another guy I detest. That stupid, annoying hair and he's always in the way it seems. Just bugs the hell out of me.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:07 PM   #21
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
I absolutely CANNOT stand Varejao. He is like the NBA equivalent of Joakim Noah, another guy I detest. That stupid, annoying hair and he's always in the way it seems. Just bugs the hell out of me.
I can see that. If I wasn't a Cavs fan I'd probably feel the same. But the guy is really a class act and he hustles his ass off. He plays with passion, which is annoying for fans of other teams, but appreciated by Cavs fans.

Think Fresh.
Old 06-06-2007, 12:36 PM   #22
Marino13
Professional Muff Diver

Marino13 is on a distinguished road

I like Varejao...he has a good attitude and doesn't take posessions off. In terms of flopping, he does his fair share, but I still give the flop crown to Manu and 2nd place to Oberto.

I hate the Spurs. Bowen is a dirty player..the Argentine's flop, Parker is a little French ***** and although I like Duncan in those Geico commercials, his "What? Me? I fouled Who?" routine after every whistle gets old.
Old 06-06-2007, 04:50 PM   #23
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

WTF? Why have I not seen these Geico commercials? All I see are cavemen and lizards.

Average rating of the 2007 Eastern Conference Finals: 3.4, down 19% from the 4.2 average rating for the 2006 Eastern Conference Finals. The final three games, however, averaged around 4.0 once the series got interesting. Still, the notion that LeBron attracts huge ratings is wrong. A large market team like LA or a high-tempto offense like Phoenix almost always garners more viewers.

Average rating of the 2007 Western Conference Finals: 2.8, down 26% from the 3.8 average rating for the 2006 Western Conference Finals. No one really likes watching the Spurs but we all knew that.

Somewhat interestingly, the Spurs first-round matchup with the Nuggets averaged the same rating (1.9) as the Cavs second-round series with the Nets.

Regardless this is going to be a low-rated series. It doesn't help that Game 2 is going up against The Sopranos on Sunday night.

Old 06-07-2007, 09:03 AM   #24
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Speaking as a VERY casual NBA fan (after all, it is sports on tv, therefore I watch it) I will watch most of this NBA final solely because LeBron is in it. If Detroit would've won the East, I probably would've watched a total of 5 minutes over the entire series. That's it. And I guarantee that many others feel the same way.

That's why I don't agree that this particular NBA final will have some of the worst ratings. But if they do, it's because the Spurs are in it , NOT because LeBron & the Cavs are. The Spurs aren't sexy (with the exception of Eva, of course). Tim Duncan = boring.....(great player tho)

If the matchup was the Mavs, Lakers or Suns vs Cavs it would ultimately garner outstanding ratings.
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 11:39 AM   #25
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I like Cleveland and LeBron so I will watch as much as I can.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:47 AM   #26
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Cavs win tonight: 94-90.

Bron: 34 pts, 9 reb, 11 assists.

Think Fresh.
Old 06-07-2007, 12:24 PM   #27
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

My Prediction: San Antonio wins game number one 91-80.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 01:57 PM   #28
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken View Post
The last time an average coach took a superstar player to the Finals against a well-coached, playoff-tested team? 1994, with Brian Hill and Shaq going against the Rockets. And that series was over before it even started. This series should be better, but frankly, I don't think by much.
What about the 2006 Mavs?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 02:05 PM   #29
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

Avery actually seems like a pretty good coach and that Miami squad wasn't that experienced in the playoff -- at least as a collective unit. That 2006 Miami squad was a perfect storm. As evident this year, Antoine Walker and Jason Williams are fool's gold. What Riley did with Shaq, Wade and 13 rags we may never see again. Simply one of the greatest coach jobs ever by one of the coaches ever.

And I guess Dirk is a superstar. In retrospect that seems open to interpretation though.

But back to Avery, I wouldn't be surprised if he joined the Mt. Rushmore of coaches that have won championships over the past 20 years. He's still very young. D'Antoni is also a solid X's and O's guy, but can he handle the pressure of championship play?

I've watched enough Cavs games to think Mike Brown won't be joining the list this year.

Old 06-07-2007, 02:12 PM   #30
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
I've watched enough Cavs games to think Mike Brown won't be joining the list this year.
Mike Brown does make stupid decisions: wasting time-outs ect...

Hopefully the Cavs talent can overcome the bad coaching.

Think Fresh.