Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 11-13-2006, 07:09 PM   #1
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough
Default Week 10 Thoughts

Well, the Eagles finally won one by stifling the 'Skins yesterday. As lackluster of a performance as it is was I'll take it. A win is a win and they needed something positive to build on coming out of the bye week. The LB play continues to be confounding and I cannot help but wonder if we are finally seeing Jeremiah Trotter's last hurrah. He is making plays but he just is not making the big plays in the backfield as in years past.

Phillip Rivers had his coming out party yesterday and answered the critics who wondered if he could win a big game if the Chargers needed him to. Leading a team back from a 21-point deficit is pretty impressive for a first year starter at QB. After watching last night's game where Eli had yet another meltdown during the stretch run when the Giants needed him the most I cannot help but wonder if the Chargers made the better move in going with Rivers over Manning.

I cannot help but wonder how long Garrad remains the starter in Jacksonville after his 4 pick performance at home against the Texans.

Funny how two weeks after coronating Micheal Vick the media is now rolling him under the bus after two abysmal performances against two teams going nowhere this year in the Browns and Lions. I know it won't happen but part of me wonders if Mora needs to man up and bench Vick and see what Schaub can do for this team, his job just may depend on it if the Falcons end up at 8-8 and out of the playoffs again. It is quite one thing to say who cares if Vick is not a top flight passer as long as he wins, but quite another when you are losing games against two of the softer defenses in the league due in large part to his six turnovers over those two games.

John Abraham has played in a total of two games for the Falcons this year. I guess now we know why the Jets were so reluctant to give him the money he wanted. He has missed 20 games the past 3+ seasons.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 08:45 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The Eagles game reminded us all of one thing: You can't teach speed. Donte' Stallworth alters their entire offensive paradigm when he's in there, fully healthy.

But three other teams were nowhere near as successful in evading sheer embarrassment and disgrace: How could the Falcons let Cleveland snap its 13-game losing streak on artificial turf at their expense? The same goes for the Jaguars losing to the Texans, who had lost 12 straight on the road, and the Bengals squandering a 28-7 halftime lead at home is completely unforgivable.

And the Cardinals showed absolutely no will to win. If that doesn't change, they will meet the same fate as the '01 Panthers: To finish 1-15 after winning on opening day.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 05:53 PM   #3
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Watching the Jets beat the Patriots for the first time in about 4 years was glorious, especially in New England. The Jets are now 5-4 and continue to surprise pretty much everyone. They have another challenge ahead of them next week against the Bears, and the Jets are only 1 game behind the Patriots in the AFC East right now.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 12:05 AM   #4
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Bears show they're a work in progress with an abysmal 1st half but rise to the occassion in the 2nd half....
Old 11-15-2006, 02:16 AM   #5
Billy D
Alternative View

Billy D is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Phillip Rivers had his coming out party yesterday and answered the critics who wondered if he could win a big game if the Chargers needed him to. Leading a team back from a 21-point deficit is pretty impressive for a first year starter at QB. After watching last night's game where Eli had yet another meltdown during the stretch run when the Giants needed him the most I cannot help but wonder if the Chargers made the better move in going with Rivers over Manning.

I cannot help but wonder how long Garrad remains the starter in Jacksonville after his 4 pick performance at home against the Texans.

Funny how two weeks after coronating Micheal Vick the media is now rolling him under the bus after two abysmal performances against two teams going nowhere this year in the Browns and Lions. I know it won't happen but part of me wonders if Mora needs to man up and bench Vick and see what Schaub can do for this team, his job just may depend on it if the Falcons end up at 8-8 and out of the playoffs again. It is quite one thing to say who cares if Vick is not a top flight passer as long as he wins, but quite another when you are losing games against two of the softer defenses in the league due in large part to his six turnovers over those two games.
What do these three paragraphs have in common? They're all about the bandwagons. Funny that Vick was just recently in MVP talk and I heard/read several "professionals" speculate that the Jags would start Garrard all season no matter what the docs said about Leftwich's ankle. I'm bandwagoning with you, Doublee, against the bandwagoning of these two players.

That other bandwagon? At the end of the season, I think most people will say that Eli's the guy over Rivers. Rivers did have a great week, though.
Billy D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2006, 12:11 AM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I don't quite get what the story is with Leftwich. I know I watched the Panthers/Jags preseason game this year and the Panthers' announcers mentioned how Jags fans were all over Leftwich and wanted Garrad as the starter. Garrad is a nice player but I have never seen where he is a significantly better player than Leftwich is.

As for Eli v. Rivers I think the media is going to be coronating Rivers as the next big thing by the end of the year. The way things are shaping up I really like the Chargers go deep in the postseason if not the Super Bowl. The thing that has always impressed folks about Rivers is his feel for the game and how quickly he picks things up. He was a 4 year starter at NCSU for good reason. Eli still impresses me as a guy who is still feeling his way a bit.

I really expect the Giants to flame in the playoffs once again this year.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2006, 05:20 AM   #7
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Jay 05 View Post
Watching the Jets beat the Patriots for the first time in about 4 years was glorious, especially in New England. The Jets are now 5-4 and continue to surprise pretty much everyone. They have another challenge ahead of them next week against the Bears, and the Jets are only 1 game behind the Patriots in the AFC East right now.
Jets played a great game - they looked good. Hopefully with the Bears playing the Jets this week the Pats can gain some ground on them... the of course the Pats have the Bears a week later - which should be interesting on the new turf in Foxboro. Congrats Jay! I know you haven't had much to be happy about with the Jets in a couple years :thumbup: