Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-18-2006, 08:23 PM   #76
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric View Post
I said that (albeit sarcastically) I don't think either one rates a shot at the BCS champioship, although watching them play each otheRutgers & BSU) on New Years Day might be interesting it would Guarantee at least one indefeated team.
I love the ESPN discussion every week on who is the best one loss team, and I have yet to hear anybody say the obvious, the best one loss team will be the loser of Michigan/Ohio State.
Or, uh...Florida or maybe Arkansas. For the time being I guess you can call Michigan the best one loss team in the Nation, but I'm not so sure it'll stick. Arkansas has another tough one next week and then the SEC Title game. If they win both of those, it'd be a stretch to put Michigan ahead of them. If Florida wins the SEC title with one loss, I don't see how you can put Michigan ahead of them. USC is a wild card, though, if they can win the next two games.

Florida has played a much more difficult schedule than Michigan has, and they've looked better and more consistent for the entire season. This was a very fun game to watch, I just hope people don't get swept up in that and deliver a rematch.

If Rutgers stays undefeated and winds up defeating WVU, they're in.

Last edited by HibachiDG; 11-18-2006 at 09:38 PM.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 12:30 AM   #77
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Goodbye Rutgers. 30-11 to Cincinnati. West Virginia is gonna f'in kill 'em.

Arkansas vs LSU
Florida State vs Florida
Southern Cal vs Notre Dame
Arkansas vs Florida
Southern Cal vs UCLA

These are the important games left. Florida or Arkansas will be eliminated. Southern Cal or Notre Dame will be eliminated.

I think ND, in addition to a win at USC, needs the SEC champion to be two-loss and a lot of sympathy from the pollsters. Hard to justify putting the Irish in over Michigan since the Wolverines blew the Irish out at ND and only lost by three on the road to Ohio State.
Old 11-19-2006, 12:40 AM   #78
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Yea, I can't see ND getting in under any circumstance. Michigan should still be the #2.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:43 AM   #79
eric
Grizzled Veteran

eric is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane View Post
Emphasis mine. I think you answered your own question.

Wasn't a question it was a statement.
eric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 07:45 AM   #80
eric
Grizzled Veteran

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham View Post
Or, uh...Florida or maybe Arkansas. For the time being I guess you can call Michigan the best one loss team in the Nation, but I'm not so sure it'll stick. Arkansas has another tough one next week and then the SEC Title game. If they win both of those, it'd be a stretch to put Michigan ahead of them. If Florida wins the SEC title with one loss, I don't see how you can put Michigan ahead of them. USC is a wild card, though, if they can win the next two games.

Florida has played a much more difficult schedule than Michigan has, and they've looked better and more consistent for the entire season. This was a very fun game to watch, I just hope people don't get swept up in that and deliver a rematch.

If Rutgers stays undefeated and winds up defeating WVU, they're in.
Yeah I was especially impressed with their domination of that1-AA powerhouse Western Carolina.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:22 AM   #81
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Nice, since you know you don't have an argument...as it wouldn't be realistic to say Michigan played a tougher schedule...you just point out the weakest game on their schedule. Clever...or...uh...not really.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 03:40 PM   #82
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Michigan: Vanderbilt, Central Michigan, at #5 Notre Dame, #9 Wisconsin, at Minnesota, Michigan State, at Penn State, Iowa, Northwestern, Ball State, at Indiana, at #1 Ohio State
Florida: Southern Miss, UCF, at #22 Tennessee, Kentucky, Alabama, #11 LSU, at #14 Auburn, Georgia, at Vanderbilt, South Carolina, Western Carolina, at Florida State

SOS:
#46 Florida
#47 Michigan

A good argument could be put up for either team at this point, but I would give Michigan the edge considering they only lost to #1 Ohio State by 3 in Columbus.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 05:17 PM   #83
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

The new BCS standings in a word: Horse****.

Suppose Michigan doesn't get passed by USC next week when they beat ND, and Michigan beats OSU in the BCS Title game...who's the national Champion?
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 08:50 PM   #84
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
The new BCS standings in a word: Horse****.

Suppose Michigan doesn't get passed by USC next week when they beat ND, and Michigan beats OSU in the BCS Title game...who's the national Champion?
Michigan. They would have beat OSU on a neutral site, whereas OSU needed home field advantage to (barely) beat Michigan.

If Michigan is the 2nd best team in the country, then they deserve to be in the National Title game. If not Michigan, than I'd like to see Florida or Arkansas if they win out. USC has, by far, the worse loss of the 1-loss BCS teams (well, except Rutgers) and as such, I don't think they merit consideration even if they do win out.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 10:27 PM   #85
The Executioner
All-Star Player

The Executioner is on a distinguished road

i agree with the mush, the new bcs rankins discust me. not only do i disagree with the fact that Michigan is the #2 team in the country, but in entertainment value i do not want to see 2 teams that play each other every year from the same confernce play each other. All big fans know the best matchup would be SEC vs. Ohio State that is the big argument, let the SEC prove it's confernce hardens its teams to be able to beat anyone else.

Florida vs. Ohio State is the game I want to see. If I was making the bowls this is how I would make them.

Assuming Notre Dame defeats USC, and Florida defeats arkansas

National Championship Game
Ohio State vs. Florida

Rose Bowl
Michigan vs. Arkansas
Fiesta Bowl
Nebraska vs. Boise State

Orange Bowl
Boston College vs. USC

Sugar Bowl
Notre Dame vs. Louisville

bring on the Trojans, Longhorns too!
The Executioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2006, 11:10 PM   #86
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

If USC doesn't make it to the MNC game, they're in the Rose Bowl because the Pac-10 champ automatically gets the Rose Bowl bid. As does the Big Ten champion in years when they aren't in the MNC game.

Rose Bowl:
Michigan vs Southern Cal

Fiesta Bowl:
Texas vs Boise State

Orange Bowl:
Georgia Tech vs Florida

Sugar Bowl:
Notre Dame vs Louisville

BCS Championship Game:
Ohio State vs Arkansas
Old 11-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #87
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

If it comes down to it, I would hope (in vain) that Carr or Tressel--and the pressure is on Carr since he lost the game--not to accept the BCS Championship Game bid. The OSU-Michigan game is more important than whatever they are calling the alleged title game now.

Okay, here it is: Aside from being an absolute rape to tradition, putting Michigan in the title game is not a very logical choice in my mind.

Michigan is not the best team in its conference--it is the second best. Does the second best team in its conference get to play to be the best team in the country? What makes anyone think the next game will be any different? What could possibly happen in the next game that didn't happen in this one? Ohio State turned the ball over 3 times--only 1 could legitimately be argued as being "forced" by the Michigan defense, and thats sketchy. Michigan had zero turnovers. Despite that, Ohio State was a late Michigan touchdown away from winning by double-digits. Michigan was never in control of that game.

So now we tell Ohio State--beat your arch-rival, that you count down to all year (after the game I heard a man chanting "365 days to Michigan!"), *2* times in a row! if you want to be the national champion! Why? Well, because Michigan is so obviously the second best team, the argument seems to be. Well sorry, I just don't see that. They have a nice non-conf win against Notre Dame, but anyone who is a top tier team should beat the Irish soundly. USC has beaten the top team in the SEC, one of the top two teams in the Big 12, and if they beat Notre Dame throw that on the list. How is anyone sure in this crazy year that Michigan is the second best team out there? Because they prevented getting smashed by Ohio State? in a rivalry game? What did the media expect? 50-0? Get real, this is a game they can't possibly understand.

Michigan had their chance at the title, they blew it. Its time to give someone else a chance--USC or the eventual winner of the SEC. I can't even see how Michigan supporters would want this. If Ohio State lost to Michigan, I wouldn't think they deserved to play for the national title.
Old 11-20-2006, 12:55 PM   #88
tobynosker
Sports Virtuoso

tobynosker is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid
USC has beaten...one of the top two teams in the Big 12
What Big XII Conference have you been watching?

USC hasn't beaten either Texas or Oklahoma, and a win over Nebraska is hardly something that any team in this country should be bragging about.

EDITED: Why is everyone saying that since Michigan lost to the best college football team in the country that they already had their chance at a National Championship and blew it? If we are going to talk about letting USC into the title game over Michigan, haven't the Trojans already blown their National Championship chances by losing to 7-4 Oregon State?

Last edited by tobynosker; 11-20-2006 at 01:07 PM.
tobynosker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 01:04 PM   #89
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I have been lurking at a popular Michigan blog, and Ricky's right...most of them don't want a rematch.

But I do, and it's precisely because of Ricky's points about the game not being as close as the final score indicated that I want it. We would whomp Michigan a second time. That would be glorious.

Rape to tradition? You mean the thing that makes this tradition great is that they only play once a year? That them playing twice under flukey but plausible circumstances that will likely never happen again is just gonna ruin everything? Please. The thing that makes this rivalry the best is hatred/respect the teams have for each other, the quality of the teams usually involved, their long history, and their fans. Not all these little accoutrements like noon start times and the need to never allow them to play more than once in a year or whatever else the traditionalists cry about.

I guess the SEC, especially Florida, is debatable, but IF the NC game should match the top two teams, I hardly think USC's resume will compare well to Michigan's. Michigan's loss only came at the horseshoe. USC's loss was to Oregon frickin' State, and I'm pretty sure that USC is not going to blow away Notre Dame the way Michigan did (in South Bend, no less) but we will see.

Bring 'em on. If they beat us in Glendale, I for one will call them National Champions. But they won't beat us.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 03:33 PM   #90
eric
Grizzled Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinBeane View Post
I have been lurking at a popular Michigan blog, and Ricky's right...most of them don't want a rematch.

But I do, and it's precisely because of Ricky's points about the game not being as close as the final score indicated that I want it. We would whomp Michigan a second time. That would be glorious.

Rape to tradition? You mean the thing that makes this tradition great is that they only play once a year? That them playing twice under flukey but plausible circumstances that will likely never happen again is just gonna ruin everything? Please. The thing that makes this rivalry the best is hatred/respect the teams have for each other, the quality of the teams usually involved, their long history, and their fans. Not all these little accoutrements like noon start times and the need to never allow them to play more than once in a year or whatever else the traditionalists cry about.

I guess the SEC, especially Florida, is debatable, but IF the NC game should match the top two teams, I hardly think USC's resume will compare well to Michigan's. Michigan's loss only came at the horseshoe. USC's loss was to Oregon frickin' State, and I'm pretty sure that USC is not going to blow away Notre Dame the way Michigan did (in South Bend, no less) but we will see.

Bring 'em on. If they beat us in Glendale, I for one will call them National Champions. But they won't beat us.
Bo said last week that he didn't want to se a rematch. I believe Michigan is the second best team in the country, but we have seen that game. I'd prefer them to play USC if they win out or the Fla/Ark winner if they don't, the only team that doesn't deserve a shot is ND if they beat USC because to vault them above Michigan would be ludicrous after the pounding they took at home from UM. So if it comes down to a one loss UM and a one loss ND, I say let's do it again.