Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Latest Sports Central Headlines

Old 12-15-2006, 07:40 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Post SC Newsfeed: Oprah Hendry and the Cubs

You can never buy a championship, though the New York Yankees will definitely try, and now it seems, so will the Chicago Cubs. SC's Zach Thomas looks at how suddenly, the team's expenditures suddenly took on a very Oprah Winfrey-like quality.

More...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:07 PM   #2
bearsr4real
i urlacher. i confused.

bearsr4real is on a distinguished road

well apparently you're not a cubs fan, marc. the cubs have been penny-pinching misers for over a century. they're just trying to show the fans that they actually CARE about winning now. you won't hear ANY cubs fan complaining about it. you definetely cannot BUY a championship, but you DO have to spend a lot of money to get one. also, i don't know who wrote that article, aaron miller or whatever, but i LOVE how he mentions that lilly punched his last coach. EVERYONE in toronto wanted to punch that guy. I wanted to punch that guy!
bearsr4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:11 PM   #3
bearsr4real
i urlacher. i confused.

bearsr4real is on a distinguished road

i do like the quote at the end...but doesn't he realize it's COMPLETELY CONTRADICTORY TO HIS ENTIRE ARTICLE?! the cubs have NEVER spent money...and they got what they always got. now they are...so...wow....i hope it wasn't you that wrote that article marc. not a very good one.
bearsr4real is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2006, 10:23 PM   #4
cheesey
Freedom is a good thing

cheesey is on a distinguished road

Who is this guy? If the Cubs wat to spend $300,000,000 for a world series, who cares? It's not like they're the first team to ever think of trying it. Steinbrenner has been doing it for years. Being a Cubs fan myself, I must admit that I am ecstatic about them getting out the pry bar to open their wallet!! Like bears4real said, the Cubs are notorious for being cheap. William Wrigley was one of the cheapest men on the planet!!! He was right up there wiyh Charles Comiskey!!!! I say good for the Cubs! It's about time. I thought they would loosen up when Tribune broadcasting bought the team. But instead they tried to build a team around one big name player with washed up veterans and phenominal rookies. It almost worked a couple of tims too. I hope the championship drought ends this year!!!GO CUBBIES!!!!
Old 12-16-2006, 11:41 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearsr4real View Post
well apparently you're not a cubs fan, marc.
Hey, leave me out of it! These newsfeed posts are automated links to stories we publish on the main site; they do not reflect the opinions of myself or anyone else aside from the author. Thanks.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2006, 11:50 PM   #6
RavenPoe
All-Star Player

RavenPoe is on a distinguished road

Personally, I wish the Orioles would start spending to compete with New York and Boston. You might not be able to Steinbrenner a championship but you do need to spend some cash. It's obvious to Orioles fans that Peter Angelos does not intend to compete for the playoffs. He's content to sell tickets to out of towners in beautiful Camden Yards and doesn't care about local support.

It's also getting pretty obvious that he's playing free agent favorites with hispanic players. The roster is almost 90% hispanic now. Almost every big time free agent in the Angelos era has been hispanic.
RavenPoe is offline   Reply With Quote