Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #1
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default LT: Classy or Poor Sport?

Quote:
"I would never react in that way. I was very upset," Tomlinson said. "When you go to the middle of our field and start doing the dance Shawne Merriman is known for, that is disrespectful. They showed no class and maybe that comes from the head coach."
Did you guys see LT's post game interview? He was saying the Pats have "no class and maybe that comes from their head coach"
I must say I was dissapointed in hearing him say this. He also claimed he's a "classy guy". First off... why would you have to say that about yourself if you are truly classy?
If you saw the end of the game the Patriot players were trying to shake LT's hand and he was pissing and moaning and walking away. You could hear some patriot players saying "come on, you're better than that".
I guess he was mad because they (Pats) did Merriman's dance in the field?? :lol: Are you serious? When did these players copyright their dances? You can't do someone's dance? Give me a break?? Also - if you can't take it - don't dish it out!

What do you guys/gals think?

Last edited by boston_aloha; 01-14-2007 at 11:20 PM.
boston_aloha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:22 PM   #2
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

I didn't see what happened, doesn't seem like the sort of thing I'd expect out of LT. So, I'll refrain comment on that for now.

But, uh, it doesn't get any less classy than Phil Rivers' flop on the spike...wasn't touched, just trying to draw a free 15 yards. Has absolutely no place in the game, good thing the officials didn't bite. Hopefully Rivers will be fined by the league.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:38 PM   #3
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

They are showing it now on ESPN News so it is making headlines. I'm an LT fan so I cringe when I hear it. Probably emotion talking.

As far as Rivers - I forgot about that one... yeah what was that crap?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:40 PM   #4
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

I saw that at the end where it looked like they were trying to shake his hand and he was trying to get off the field but i dont think that was the case.

I think someone may have said something or done something because it looked to me like he was trying to go after somebody, and then when they said "youre better than that" he turned around and jogged off the field in the opposite way in which he was going at the beginning. I dont think it is classless, because he just lost a playoff game and he let his emotions get to him. Still though, i think he is one of the best guys in the NFL to be a role model for young athletes.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:46 PM   #5
boston_aloha
FFB #2

If you see the post game interview - he said it was because they were doing "Merriman's dance". That's why I thought he was being a poor sport... No one can do that dance? Merriman owns it?
Old 01-14-2007, 10:52 PM   #6
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

I didnt see the interview, just that is what i thought when i saw his reaction, but if thats the reason for this, then i think that is a pretty stupid thing to get worked up over.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2007, 10:59 PM   #7
boston_aloha
FFB #2

My question is why do these guys think they "own" that dance and no one else can do it? If someone does it it's "disrespectful"???
Old 01-14-2007, 11:04 PM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Well, it's not like they did Merriman's dance because it's the latest dance craze sweeping the nation. The Pats did Merriman's dance to rub salt in the wounds of the Chargers...
Old 01-14-2007, 11:06 PM   #9
boston_aloha
FFB #2

True... but thats pretty standard.... Everytime Merriman made a play he would do the dance to rub salt at the Pats. So like I say - if you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:09 PM   #10
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, but there's a bit of a difference between doing your own dance during the game and the opponent mocking you after the game. If the Pats did the Merriman during the game, that's OK...after the game, it was certainly childish if the Pats did it. If the Patriots did the dance after the game, then I think Thomlinson was completely justified in approaching the Patriots about it and the comments he said afterwards (just caught it on ESPNNEWS).
Old 01-14-2007, 11:13 PM   #11
boston_aloha
FFB #2

So would it of been ok if they did some other dance? Or if the Chargers won, would it of been ok for Merriman to dance like he does? I still say "don't dish it out" If Merriman didn't show off after every play then they're be nothing to mock. This is just like when the Eagles would do that stupid "dirty bird" thing after a big play. They were doing it in the SB... then when Rodney Harrison made an INT, he did it... it was no big deal then. I think the Eagles understood "hey, if we are gonna show off, we gotta expect it in return when the other team makes a play too"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Graham View Post
If the Patriots did the dance after the game, then I think Thomlinson was completely justified in approaching the Patriots about it and the comments he said afterwards (just caught it on ESPNNEWS).
You agree that it was Belichick's fault as LT said?
Old 01-14-2007, 11:16 PM   #12
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, but you do it IN the game. There's a huge difference between in the game and after the game. Other dances are the game are OK and expected. The only reason to do the Merriman was to mock the opponent. It's just classless. When the game ends...the game ends and the point of mocking the opponent dissolves completely. You go forth and show respect for the other team and celebrate your victory.

Mocking them after the game shows that they don't know how to win, is completely childish.

Quote:
You agree that it was Belichick's fault as LT said?
Well, from what he said, it seemed as if he did it in a questioning matter. I certainly think that Belichick should be questioned over the matter. I have no idea if Belichick is personally at fault.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:24 PM   #13
boston_aloha
FFB #2

eh, I personally think that's crap... IN the game AFTER the game... no difference IMO. If you wanna celebrate ok... its not like they didn't try to shake hands... people celebrate right after. Not like it went on and on.
Old 01-14-2007, 11:27 PM   #14
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

You don't see any difference between IN the game and AFTER? You can mock them IN game because they can shrug it off and still do something about it. There are definitely unwritten mocking rules and the Pats without a doubt broke them.

Also, with the line, "If you wanna celebrate ok... its not like they didn't try to shake hands... people celebrate right after. Not like it went on and on." are you trying to say that they were celebrating by doing the Merriman dance? Because that would be pretty silly. I'm pretty sure the Pats doing the Merriman know that they weren't celebrating...
Old 01-14-2007, 11:28 PM   #15
boston_aloha
FFB #2

This is just like when TO did Ray Lewis' dance... it was considered "disrepectfull" because "thats Ray Lewis' dance". And BTW, that was IN the game. I'm the LAST guy to defend TO, but that was such BS... these players don't own these dances... if you're gonna make a dance for yourself be prepared to get mocked (bu that same dance) if you don't get the big play.