Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 10-15-2004, 08:31 PM   #46
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road

great points #47 ..... especially the mental factor. Brady has proven himself far more adaptable to whatever role the team expects him to take on. I honestly don't think I've ever seen Brady lose his cool on or off the field .... he's simply unflappable.

Even though we are talking about regular season MVP ...... let's look at what happens when the postseason begins. When a team's MVP is supposed to elevate their game and carry their teams!!!!!!

Brady, unlike Culpepper, McNabb, Manning, or Pennington ...... has led his team to a SuperBowl (twice in the last three years to be exact). For obvious reasons, he was named the MVP of both Superbowls. These other quarterbacks have done nothing comparable at this point.

I don't know if it's just me but two Superbowls to everybody else's zero makes a pretty convincing case for Brady as the top quarterback. And with the way the Pats are playing so far ..... it would not be a shock to see Brady wearing ring three in the near future.

Remember, the system is just one factor .... not the whole deal. To give Brady credit in large part due to the system he plays in is just a little ridiculous if you ask me.

Give the guy his due.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2004, 09:19 PM   #47
Diceman
X-Ecutioner Dice

Diceman is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Re: Re: Re: Duante's Inferno....MVP?

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
Is anyone else tired of these "Lookit my Minnesota teams and players!" threads that you constantly create?
No.
Diceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2004, 02:41 AM   #48
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

HAHAHAHA ..... it would appear that the Minnesota Mafia has decided to show up in force LOL.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Old 10-18-2004, 03:18 AM   #49
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

Tonght he sent a message to the guys who engrave the MVP Trophy.....there are three "P's" in Culpepper.

NOBODY is even on the same plain as he is right now. This is the best 5 game start to season in NFL history. Better than Marino...Favre...Montana...Unitas...Manning.....name your QB.

AND...he did most of it without Randy.

FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 03:22 AM   #50
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Habs Fan
I don't know if it's just me but two Superbowls to everybody else's zero makes a pretty convincing case for Brady as the top quarterback.
By this argument, you take Jim Plunkett over Dan Fouts, Mark Rypien over Dan Marino, and Trent Dilfer over Culpepper, Manning, and McNabb.

I chose Brady as league MVP last year, and I think he's great. Is he as good as Manning? No. Is he having the year Culpepper is? No. Does he make "I-can't-believe-my-eyes" plays like Brett Favre? No.

Through six weeks, Culpepper has been as good as you can ask for. But when "through five games" becomes a meaningful statistic, you can let me know.

Comparing his first five games this season to Hall of Famers is an ESPN exercise in really wanting to pretend you've found something that matters. And no matter what the numbers are, he's not touching Marino in 1984, and as I'm sure Anthony will attest, you can't compare post-chuck rule statistics (like Culpepper's) to the pre-chuck numbers from Johnny U.

Purple, for now be satisfied that he's playing well and holding onto the ball. And about that Sexton kid. As for MVPs, get back to me around Week 13.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 10:34 AM   #51
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

BRAD! Long time no see.

It's not that I disagree with your argument, but Habs Fan is talking about a guy who has won TWO Super Bowls, and your counterpoint comparisons also accepts those who only won one...it MAY be an arbitrary distinction, but it may not be...how many QBs who have won multiple Super Bowls aren't, or likely won't be going, to Canton?

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 07:31 PM   #52
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

Yeah, me and 47 back in the span of about two weeks. Not a bad deal. 47, it's great to see you around here again. You've been missed. Thanks Kevin, btw, for your enthusiastic response to my post.

Regarding the Super Bowl winners thing, the logical extension of the argument is that guys who have won one SB are also better than those who have not. This is especially true given that Habs Fans is also advocating Brady over single-SB winners like Favre and Kurt Warner.

And, just to play along with the multiple-winners issue...
Plunkett over Fouts
Aikman over Marino
Griese over Tarkenton

No, no, and no.

And if I get to count margins of two or more, I'll also take Staubach [2], Unitas [1], and Jurgensen [0] over Bradshaw [4].

By the rationale that only multiple Super Bowl-winners can be MVP, no one can win in his first Super Bowl year (Young in 94, Favre in 96). That could be important for 5-0 McNabb and Pennington and 4-1 Culpepper and Manning.

And despite the great starts those four are off to, it's worth pointing out that the MVP Award isn't limited to quarterbacks. Curtis Martin, Tiki Barber, and Terrell Owens are only a few of the many non-QBs who could make a case for themselves.

Also, this award doesn't get given out for another three months. If Habs Fan wants to anoint Brady MVP for the last twelve months, I'm with him. If he wants to give him the hardware for the 2004 season, uh-uh.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 08:45 PM   #53
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Fair enough Brad ... and I admit it's early but the Pats are putting their stamp on the Super Bowl again due in large part to Brady. If and I know its an IF they win the SB again, that will be three SBs and probably three SB MVPs for Brady, all within a 4 year span. If this happens, then there should be no argument whatsoever about his place amongst great NFL quarterbacks.

I admit that Culpepper's stats are mind blowing and so far he has held his own against any opponent with the exception of McNabb in the Minn-Phil game earlier this year. I can see why he would be a popular choice for many members of the board.

Old 10-19-2004, 09:31 PM   #54
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Hey Brad,

Good to see you also, hope everything is well on your end!

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2004, 11:26 PM   #55
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Even if Daunte is playing on an MVP level (which I agree with), it doesn't help the Vikes' horrid defense and one-dimensional offense. Let's see them beat someone good.

Cya on 11/14/04.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:36 PM   #56
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

Daunte threw up another 40 fantasy points!
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:44 PM   #57
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Even if Daunte is playing on an MVP level (which I agree with), it doesn't help the Vikes' horrid defense and one-dimensional offense. Let's see them beat someone good.
One-dimensional offense? Unless you're classifing "scoring an assload of points" as one-dimensional, I'd have to say you're wrong. Dante throws the ball to everybody: WR's, TE's, RB's. And so far, it hasn't mattered who's running the ball, Moe Williams, Smith, Moore...they're all tearing it up.

As far as the horrid defense.....yeah, the Vikes are screwed there. Look no farther than the 2003-04 Kansas City Chiefs to see how this story is going to end.

-RB
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 10:55 PM   #58
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by Noon
One-dimensional offense? Unless you're classifing "scoring an assload of points" as one-dimensional, I'd have to say you're wrong. Dante throws the ball to everybody: WR's, TE's, RB's. And so far, it hasn't mattered who's running the ball, Moe Williams, Smith, Moore...they're all tearing it up.

As far as the horrid defense.....yeah, the Vikes are screwed there. Look no farther than the 2003-04 Kansas City Chiefs to see how this story is going to end.
True, the Vikes' passing game has been spectacular. But what happens when they play a really good defense who doesn't respect their running game? If they get slowed down in the passing game, they will lose time of possession with their poor running game and therefore put their porous defense on the field more, and bad things will happen.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2004, 11:21 PM   #59
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Marc, did you not understand what Noon said?
The Vikes have a GREAT running game, MNF @ Eagles notwithstanding.

I think the stat that popped up on Sunday night regarded the number of games consecutively that they'd rushed for 5ypc.
The killer for the Vikes is
a) the defense, but more importantly
b) Daunte's propensity for turnovers.

So far, Daunte's been putting the ball in the right hands and keeping it in his own when he runs, instead of dropping it.

Yes, they'll run into the occassional D that can stop them, but there are not many.

Pity your Packers.

Dave
Old 10-21-2004, 05:34 AM   #60
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The Vikings will also run into cold weather three times this year: At Green Bay on November 14 (and in the late time slot too), at Chicago on December 5, and at Washington on January 2.

Keep in mind that Minnesota has lost nine consecutive games at northern, outdoor sites from November 1 onward, last having won such a game on December 26, 1999, when they beat the Giants 34-17 at Club Med.

I say they go 1-2 in the above three games - and the only reason they won't lose all three is because the Bears have the worst offense the NFL has seen since the 1976-77 Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Last edited by Anthony; 10-21-2004 at 05:37 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote