Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Basketball

Old 10-15-2005, 10:06 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Preseason Sweet 16 Power Rankings

Have a gander at these and see what you think:
Quote:
1) Duke Coach K may be using that AMEX of his to buy another banner to hang in Cameron Indoor, and the Blue Devils have the best roster on paper. It's time that J.J. Reddick and Shelden Williams step up and get this team to the title game or else both legacies in Durham will be forever tainted. Guys like Sean Dockery, Greg Paulus, DeMarcus Nelson, and Josh McRoberts will try and make sure that doesn't happen.

2) Texas It was tempting to put the Longhorns in the No. 1 slot, but they also lack the ability to make it to the big game. They have the bodies to bang and one of the top guards in the nation in Daniel Gibson. If they can survive the rugged Big 12 schedule (and an early December matchup with Duke at the Meadowlands), UT can book their reservations at the RCA Dome. Brad Buckman, LaMarcus Aldridge, and P.J. Tucker will be essential to a new Longhorn tradition of dominance on the hardwood.

3) Oklahoma Taj Gray and Kevin Bookout return to a Sooner lineup that surprised many last season. A possible Red River Showdown looms in the Big 12 title game, with the winner getting the upper hand on a possible No. 1 seed. JUCO transfers Michael Neal and Chris Walker look to give OU even more depth and firepower to compete with Texas.

4) Michigan State The Spartans return a solid trio in Shannon Brown, Paul Davis, and Drew Neitzel, and are back to show last year's Final Four run wasn't a fluke. They have one of the best coaches in the game with Tom Izzo and it wouldn't be surprising to see them back in the national semifinals next April.

5) Louisville Taquan Dean takes over as head Cardinal with Francisco Garcia's departure to the NBA. If transfer David Padgett from Kansas and Juan Palacios can heal quickly, Louisville will make a huge statement upon entering the Big East.
https://www.sports-central.org/sport...r_rankings.php

Midnight Madness has come and gone ... I'm ready for some hoops!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:44 PM   #2
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Ugh, no G Tech. I know they lost Jarrett Jack, I'm not sure who else.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2005, 05:52 PM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

Villanova is my pre-season #1. I'm not sold on Michigan State, they always seem to disappoint when you expect them to do well. Duke has a very solid team and Reddick is one the nation's sharpest shooters. Here's what my Top 5 looks like right now:

1. Villanova
2. Duke
3. Michigan State
4. Texas
5. Connecticut
Old 10-17-2005, 06:59 PM   #4
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

It should be a fun season for Duke fans. Early word around here is that since this year's roster is loaded with depth Coach K is going balls-to-the-wall on both defense and offense. There was a snippet in the local media from Redick where he said they plan on playing more pressure defense and more run-and-gun on offense.

I like 'Nova a lot also, but I am not sure they have the overall depth to beat out Duke; especially if Sumter does not make it all the way back from his knee injury this year.

My darkhorse team to make some noise this year as their PG gets healthy in time for the opener is N. C. State. Julius Hodge is the only loss from last year's squad and they have a pretty strong recruiting class coming in this fall.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 02:37 PM   #5
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

My Power 16 as of today

1 Seeds:
Villanova
Duke
Texas
Michigan State

2 Seeds:
Oklahoma
Louisville
Arizona
Connecticut

3 Seeds:
UCLA
Boston College
Kentucky
Wake Forest

4 Seeds
Gonzaga
Maryland
West Virginia
Stanford
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:06 PM   #6
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

With Sumpter out indefinitely and possibly for the season I have a hard time seeing Villanova getting through as a top seed given how loaded the Big East is going to be this year.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:28 PM   #7
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

Oh crap! I didn't hear about Sumpter. Oy, that changes a lot. Too bad for 'Nova. They would've been (and who knows, they still might be) incredible. In that case, I'd drop them to a borderline 4 seed, jockeying with Memphis.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 07:33 PM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Yeah, there is speculation that 'Nova may just redshirt him this year rather than try and rush him back in time for the tournament.