Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 07-12-2009, 04:57 PM   #4456
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

You do the research & post your findings, K?
Old 07-12-2009, 05:45 PM   #4457
themush
Banned

themush has a spectacular aura aboutthemush has a spectacular aura about

__________^^^___________________^________

SCMB's pulse.
themush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:20 PM   #4458
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

just about flat lined again. Getting this place back to past glory while posibly in possible would be great.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 11:43 PM   #4459
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Everything dies at some point, message boards included.

People want Marc to post less about hooking up with women and driving cars, but that's Marc and I think it's nice that he shares stuff about his personal life on the boards. If Marc had some other type of personality-- if it was Buck running the site-- would anything be different? I really don't think so. Marc's tried to run the boards the best that he can.

What's going to save the boards: a new owner, new mods, new rules, a new layout? I doubt any of it would make a difference. Unless SC shows up on the news tomorrow or Marc puts together a huge marketing scheme, northing's going to change.

The times are changing. I'm not afraid to be the message board nihilist: Message boards are dead.

Rather than cutting others' throats, we should just be happy that the few of us that are left are still here.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 03:58 AM   #4460
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

A very level headed, balancing kind of post, Ellis :thumbup:

A little touch on it tho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis View Post
Very true but some do before their time.

Quote:
People want Marc to post less about hooking up with women and driving cars, but that's Marc and I think it's nice that he shares stuff about his personal life on the boards.
Nothing wrong with that at all. Posts are always a good thing but when you're in the power chair, more is expected.

Quote:
If Marc had some other type of personality-- if it was Buck running the site-- would anything be different? I really don't think so. Marc's tried to run the boards the best that he can.
Comparing Buckeye & Marc isn't a good example. Buckeye doesn't want to run a site while Marc does. Apples & oranges on that one.

Of course Marc's done the best he can. No one should dispute that. However, he's been more than vocal that things are fine the way they are & that it's up to the members which isn't true. He's also been a big proponent of 'community' which requires more 'community' input which has also been swept under the rug when it seems others want something tried that doesn't follow his whims. That's more a dictatorship & at least should be more upfront.

I guess what's 'lost in translation' is that there's been no vision in keeping the board relevant with changing times/mods/board layout/etc. That's just inexperience but if that point was ever mentioned in the past, it was met with a defensive posture about age. Sorry but it's been the truth all along.

To run a site like this, one has to be constantly aware of what each mod/poster brings to the site. By putting the right mods, as example, in place, you lessen the burden on yourself & allow the site to stay focused without being overbearing. You can also benefit by luring the right posters in (not just mod positions) newly formed roles in various forums, to taking a more active role & also inviting new blood. That's Networking Basics 101...

There's just a few examples of things not tried/missing. SC didn't have to aspire to be a huge site but it definitely needed more care/input to make it just large enough & diverse enough to survive any lulls thru time.

Quote:
What's going to save the boards: a new owner, new mods, new rules, a new layout? I doubt any of it would make a difference. Unless SC shows up on the news tomorrow or Marc puts together a huge marketing scheme, northing's going to change.

The times are changing. I'm not afraid to be the message board nihilist: Message boards are dead.

Rather than cutting others' throats, we should just be happy that the few of us that are left are still here.
Sounds like the Titanic passengers should have been grateful for at least the nice boat ride up till the ice burg. Sorry, too much effort & obvious above & beyond input by quite a few posters, most who have already given up & are gone, to take this ending with a smile on their face.

I'm a hair away from putting this site in my rear view mirror while I come to grips with leaving the posters I've enjoyed thru the years to my memory. My bitching & moaning will just be an echo which I'm sure will put a big smile on a few posters faces.

But anyway, nice post, Ellis. Reminds me of better times...
Old 07-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #4461
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

I agree with the majority of your post ellis. But there are sites out there that will confirm message boards are far from Dead. This one does not reflect the current state of alot of message boards.
Old 07-13-2009, 02:39 PM   #4462
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I'll try to be as delicate as possible Rob...or maybe not.

Quote:
People want Marc to post less about hooking up with women and driving cars, but that's Marc and I think it's nice that he shares stuff about his personal life on the boards. If Marc had some other type of personality-- if it was Buck running the site-- would anything be different? I really don't think so. Marc's tried to run the boards the best that he can.
Tarkus already addressed this pretty well but I'll just second the fact that if this is Marc's "heart and soul" his lack of inclusion has made most of the elder members confused or at the very least: skeptical.

The one part of this place that would be different if I were running the boards would be the delegation of duty. In the past it could be written off as Marc not having the experience to understand and recognize members who could help him but after all these years it just seems as if he's gonna remain 13 forever...or deaf forever. Not to offend his current mods but whatever effectiveness they had in making this place better died a long time ago. I'm not usually a proponent for change for the sake of change (but I would add younger folks generally are and Marc falls into that category) but it's evident change is needed. So, just for the record, Marc pretty much let folks like Sue and Mike (for example) slip thru the cracks. Cuz if I'm too big of an asshole (perhaps guilty as charged) or if Tarkus is...while there are others. Or were others.

If you're saying I would have the same personality as I do now if I was in charge...you're correct. But the difference is Rob I (and a host of others here) would be able to recognize who could help me and what I needed to do to get there while managing who I was. If this post isn't offensive enough with age discrimination (which Marc will probably charge with me) then let me put it over the top with this - you'll understand this last paragraph when you're older....or at the very least...I hope you will.

Quote:
This is pretty much a defeated attitude Rob. That's fine but just like on the Titanic, we had life boats pretty much unused and forgotten about before it sunk.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 04:47 PM   #4463
themush
Banned

I have finally narrowed it down to one. Ladies (none here) and gentlemen (using that term loosely) I give you the true picture of Buck.....

Old 07-13-2009, 06:25 PM   #4464
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:

I appreciate this post, Rob. Look, I'm 23. My life is about cars, sports, and women. So I post about that. I'm only being myself and being honest. Had I not shared anything, I'd be attacked for being robotic operator (and I have in the past). So here I am, love me or hate me, but I'm me. I'm a different me than I was when ran this at 15, and I'll probably be talking about kids and stuff when I'm 30. That's why this site is my life's work, it's been the one constant and overall, I'm proud of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
Nothing wrong with that at all. Posts are always a good thing but when you're in the power chair, more is expected.
Like what? You want to talk about being vague? Look in the mirror. I'm sick of vague criticism. Everything here is in place: we have a solid set of rules by which the site is governed, good moderators, a good layout ... I've done all I can do to facilitate a successful forum. And I'm always trying to tweak and implement suggestions.
Quote:
However, he's been more than vocal that things are fine the way they are & that it's up to the members which isn't true.
Fundamental disagreement: I think a forum community is about the COMMUNITY. Not about ME. I am but a part of it. I've done all I can do to create a good place to discuss sports, and you are unfairly blaming me by expecting more.

Quote:
He's also been a big proponent of 'community' which requires more 'community' input which has also been swept under the rug when it seems others want something tried that doesn't follow his whims. That's more a dictatorship & at least should be more upfront.
WTF, I have implemented numerous suggestions, from sig images to removing the censorship. Again, another vague accusation. Sorry I can't drop everything I'm doing at once and do whatever is suggested, but I sure as hell do implement new things when there is a consensus approving it.

Oh, and a little fact that has to be said even though it'll make me sound bad. This is a privately-owned site, so yes, it is a dictatorship. I pay the bills, so I can do whatever the fuck I want. If you don't like it, go build your own site. ANY private site is in essence a dictatorship. But I do listen to feedback and try to run it keeping it mind what the members want, because that's part of being a good admin.

Quote:
I guess what's 'lost in translation' is that there's been no vision in keeping the board relevant with changing times/mods/board layout/etc. That's just inexperience but if that point was ever mentioned in the past, it was met with a defensive posture about age. Sorry but it's been the truth all along.
Inexperience? How many admins do you know have run boards for 9 years? And I've served leadership positions on much larger forums in the past, providing more experience. I haven't set idle while times changed. I've continually upgraded the boards so they run the latest software with the latest features. This layout is similar and just as good as any other forum.

And what exactly gives you the credibility to lecture me on experience and administrative duties running a site?
Quote:
To run a site like this, one has to be constantly aware of what each mod/poster brings to the site. By putting the right mods, as example, in place, you lessen the burden on yourself & allow the site to stay focused without being overbearing. You can also benefit by luring the right posters in (not just mod positions) newly formed roles in various forums, to taking a more active role & also inviting new blood. That's Networking Basics 101...
We have good mods in place on most of the boards. There isn't a need for more mods; there's a need for more regular posters. Mods are there to enforce the rules and keep things in order, but also be my eyes and ears and an extension of me. The site is too small to need all this bureaucratic organization and levels. With a few active mods, it's fine.

Again, this site simply needs posters to talk sports and quit worrying about things. These posts deter new members. Take some initiative and keep your chin up.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #4465
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Not to offend his current mods but whatever effectiveness they had in making this place better died a long time ago. I'm not usually a proponent for change for the sake of change (but I would add younger folks generally are and Marc falls into that category) but it's evident change is needed. So, just for the record, Marc pretty much let folks like Sue and Mike (for example) slip thru the cracks.
First of all, the current mods are doing and have done a great job. Anthony, catman, doublee, etc. all remain active, post, and enforce the rules (eliminate spam, close flame wars, etc.). I can't ask for more and I'm appreciative. As for Sue and Mike ... you have no idea. I've personally contacted them trying to get them to come back, but it was their decision. I don't know why. I even offered Mike a mod role. I did everything I could and I cared. But ultimately, it's their decision, don't blame me...

Oh, and you know, I can't remember the last time I actually got some thanks for any of you appreciated the work I do. Maybe if you had better attitudes I might have more energy to do things, but you all beat me down just like the morale of the boards has been beaten down. I am only criticized and the only one who seems to get me now is Ellis. I know I'm not perfect, but I do some things right and it would be nice just once to feel appreciated...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 06:49 PM   #4466
themush
Banned

Old 07-13-2009, 06:50 PM   #4467
themush
Banned

Can we not talk about this in my thread.

Move this crap elsewhere..... thank you.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:08 PM   #4468
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

Is this a bitch and moan message board. I mean did everyone take some of Manny's female furtility drugs. Or is this a Sports message board.
Old 07-13-2009, 08:11 PM   #4469
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

mush, I'm moving your name up on my "kick ass" list for that pic.

Son, you've be warned...

Old 07-13-2009, 08:12 PM   #4470
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by themush View Post
Can we not talk about this in my thread.

Move this crap elsewhere..... thank you.
We could move it to the college football forum. Plenty of space there.