Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz > Golf

Old 07-10-2003, 07:08 PM   #16
rickcoyle
Grizzled Veteran

rickcoyle is on a distinguished road

The British open will be the true test if Tiger is in a slump. He blew away the competition at the Western Open which will be his last tourney before the open. If Tiger doesnt crack the top ten then for Tiger he is in a slump.

"They hate to love me"
~Terrell Owens~
rickcoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 04:32 PM   #17
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

#%!^%[email protected]%^@!^[email protected]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you not read ANY of the above posts??? he's not in a friggin' slump!! He is the best the best damn golfer on the Earth.... he can go 6 months without winning and not be in a slump.. [email protected]%.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2003, 08:49 AM   #18
RaviPachai18

RaviPachai18 is on a distinguished road

Don't worry about him Lee, the real golfers understand how stupid it is for people to keep asking if Tiger is in a slump.
RaviPachai18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2004, 09:33 PM   #19
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Anyone think he's still not slumping?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2004, 01:53 AM   #20
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

TIGER WOODS 2004 STATISTICS

Top 14 in scoring.
Top 6 money leader.
Top 6 in driving.
Top 4 in top10 finishes.
Top 3 in birdies.
#1 in consecutive cuts.
#1 world ranking.

GUY, why don't you actually watch a round of golf every now and then or at the very least think before you speak? Ya, more money than 100s of other golfers and more wins than 100s of other golfers this year, he stinks. If his putting was only a little better he would have 3 wins this year already instead of "only" 1, which is already an accomplishment in itself. Stick to your little college sports and stop pissing the rest of us who are actually knoweldgeable off.

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
#%!^%[email protected]%^@!^[email protected]!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Did you not read ANY of the above posts??? he's not in a friggin' slump!! He is the best the best damn golfer on the Earth.... he can go 6 months without winning and not be in a slump.. [email protected]%.
Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
Anyone who finishes in the Top 20 in a major tournament is not in a slump.

2003 US Open T20
2003 Masters T15
2002 PGA 2nd
2002 Open T28
2002 US Open 1
2002 Masters 1
2001 PGA T29
2001 Open T25
2001 US Open T12
2001 Masters 1
2000 PGA 1
2000 Open 1
2000 US Open 1
2000 Masters 1

Never mind his last 3 years... look at his last 4 or 5 majors!! ALL TOP 20 FINISHES EXCEPT ONE -- the 2002 Open, which he has his CAREER WORST round in at 81 and he STILL manged a top 30!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This guys last 3 seasons, never mind his entire CAREER IS an entire career for most golfers!!!!!! You judge a player by how he plays in Majors?? well, Tiger's been the best in them over the past 5 tournaments with 4 top 20 finishes and 1 victory. He has only 7 tournaments or something this year and is 4th on the money list with 3 victories.

Ya, he sucks.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:10 PM   #21
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

It's pretty much universally regarded that Tiger is slumping right now on all the sports talk shows, newspapers, websites, the list goes on. Your argument may have been substantiated when this thread originally began, but guess what, Tiger has won ZERO majors since then and has done pretty miserable in some.

Michael Wilbon of the Washington Post has it right: Tiger needs to play in more tournaments to keep his game sharp and he needs to hire his hitting instructor again. At this point, even Tiger would probably admit he's struggling. You're so far into the forest that you can't see the trees!

Last edited by Marc; 04-19-2004 at 08:13 PM.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2004, 09:57 PM   #22
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Tiger admitted during the Masters that his putting was off and that was the only thing preventing him from being near the top of the leaderboard. All these mainstream sports radio shows and magazines you are reading is NOT the golf world. Anyone who knows the game and watches him play week-to-week know he is not "slumping." How many times must I say that you don't have to win tournaments or majors to be in a slump. He still has more wins and money than 100s of other players, despite even playing in less tournaments and not only that, he plays in HARD tournaments. You don't see him at the GHO or Reno Open or anything like that.
Old 04-20-2004, 01:27 AM   #23
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
At this point, even Tiger would probably admit he's struggling.
No, he's not. He's saying this slump talk is all wrong, and he's very close to "putting it all together."

Take that statement as you will. Nicklaus went through longer majorless treaks than the one Tiger is in now, and he (Tiger) still hasn't missed a cut. And he did win the Accenture Match play (only the top 64 in the world get invited) in late February.

Let him miss a cut and go more than just 2 months without a win before we call this a slump.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:35 PM   #24
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Lee, why are you getting so bent out of shape about this? Tiger makes a bijillion dollars and your posts make it look like you're about to have a heart attack defending him.

For a normal player, I wouldn't say Tiger's in a slump. His finishes and wins the last two years would make for a great resume for just about any other player on the tour. Except, Tiger isn't any other player on the tour, he's Tiger f'ing Woods. He was played at a level that seemed to be above humanly possible for a few years. Now, he has come back down to earth.

The best statement I heard was "he's the best player on earth...he can go six months without winning and not be in a slump." See, this is where I disagree. I think if you've been the best player on earth for number of years and you suddenly can't win a tournament, then you are in a slump. But that's just my definition of a slump: playing below your established capabilities. Tiger established himself to be someone who wins and wins a lot and now, people expect him to keep that up. Is it right to think he would keep it up, probably not, but he sure made it look possible for a while.

Does not blowing away the competition every week mean he's now just an average golfer? Of course not, he's still Tiger Woods, he's still putting up a great season for a good golfer. But he isn't playing at the same phenomenal level of consistency that he was two or three years ago. So I say either he's slumping, or the bar of ridiculous expectations needs to be lowered.

-RB

Last edited by Noon; 04-20-2004 at 11:42 PM.
Noon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2004, 11:50 PM   #25
RaviPachai18

I'd be more inclined to agree with Kevin and Lee. Look at his record when it comes to missing cuts (rather...not missing them). And Noon...your point is only somewhat valid, look at the history of golf and you will see that it is not uncommon for top players to have winning streaks, when you're hot you're hot...and you shouldn't be surprised when it happens in golf.

I don't agree with Marc's comments and I think Lee's are warranted because Marc's post has a very condescending tone towards it. I think Marc also lacks some understanding in golf and should read Lee's post carefully. According to Marc anyone but the 4 major winners or big tournament winners are in a slump...com'on, no sport works like that, why is golf any different?

Yeah, he hasn't won every tournament this season (which is still early so I don't think it's fair to pass such comments yet), and he still has some kinks to work out with his driving and his putting. But com'on, if you watch any tournament with Tiger, his name usually isn't too far from the first page or two of the leaderboard. If you ask me, someone who can pull that off consistently, even if they aren't winning every tournament is not in any slump.
Old 04-20-2004, 11:58 PM   #26
RaviPachai18

It would also be fair to note that Tiger has won 1 tournament this season, on top of that, out of the 7 tournaments he has played so far, 4 have been in the Top 10, 6 have been in the Top 22.

....boy this slump is looking really good the harder I look.
Old 04-21-2004, 08:24 AM   #27
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

I already said those stats! Some people have thick skulls (not you, Ravi...)
Old 04-21-2004, 05:17 PM   #28
Noon

Quote:
Originally posted by RaviPachai18
I'd be more inclined to agree with Kevin and Lee. Look at his record when it comes to missing cuts (rather...not missing them). And Noon...your point is only somewhat valid, look at the history of golf and you will see that it is not uncommon for top players to have winning streaks, when you're hot you're hot...and you shouldn't be surprised when it happens in golf.

I don't agree with Marc's comments and I think Lee's are warranted because Marc's post has a very condescending tone towards it. I think Marc also lacks some understanding in golf and should read Lee's post carefully. According to Marc anyone but the 4 major winners or big tournament winners are in a slump...com'on, no sport works like that, why is golf any different?

Yeah, he hasn't won every tournament this season (which is still early so I don't think it's fair to pass such comments yet), and he still has some kinks to work out with his driving and his putting. But com'on, if you watch any tournament with Tiger, his name usually isn't too far from the first page or two of the leaderboard. If you ask me, someone who can pull that off consistently, even if they aren't winning every tournament is not in any slump.
fair enough. I'm not sure if I didn't make my point clear enough or I did, and you think I'm wrong, which is okay too.

I happen to believe a slump is based on a subjective opinion. Barry Bonds goes six games without hitting a home run and people start using the word slump. It's not really fair and it wouldn't apply to anyone else in MLB, but it's what we've come to expect. The talk with Tiger has been more prevelant because he doesn't play in that many tournaments and there tends to be a long time in between.

You see consistancy in top finishes, I see a lack of dominant winning. I'm well aware of the history of golf and I know golfers get hot sometimes and that it is impossible to win all the time. I also know that if I go out and shoot a 66, then it was an unbelievable round that I should be darn proud of. But if my buddy shoots a 65, he still wins. What the heck can I do about that? I still shot a 66 and it was still a great day for me.

But Tiger was so hot for so long that the general public came to accept that he would stay that way. He hasn't. So either he will once again rise back up to being untouchable or the public's expectations will come back down to earth and people can look at what he's doing and appreciate it, not expect a Grand Slam every year.

I disagree with you more often than not on a lot of issues Ravi (even though I keep my opinions to myself most of the time), but I do appreciate the fact that you can respond with tact, even to someone as thickskulled as me. :banana: (the thrusting banana is for you Lee).

-RB
Old 04-21-2004, 06:27 PM   #29
RaviPachai18

If you disagree with me more often than not, then feel free to voice your opinion. I know mine are based on information that is freely available and I have no problem defending them. But it seems as if your post implies that I have some whack beliefs, which (as far as I'm aware) is not true at all.

I still don't agree with you and I'll use your own example to explain why. Re-read what you posted about you shooting a 66 and your bud shooting a 65. Now consider this: is it possible that the bar has been raised since Tiger came out on tour? It's not secret that some of the major courses (including Augusta) changed their designs to thwart dominance by Tiger. On the same note it would be expected that other players would push themselves harder to meet his standard. So, all of a sudden Tiger finds himself in a field of players more competent to deal with his dominance but it's seem as him being in a slump? No, because he is still able to pull off statistics that no other player can't. When Tiger starts missing cuts and can't place himself in positions to win money, then I'd consider him in a slump.

If you consider it subjective, then there is no point in debating because you have your definition, and I have mine. But if you read Marc's post that ressurected this thread, it's clear that he's making you appear crazy to believe that Tiger is not slumping.
Old 04-21-2004, 06:55 PM   #30
Noon

Quote:
Originally posted by RaviPachai18
I still don't agree with you and I'll use your own example to explain why. Re-read what you posted about you shooting a 66 and your bud shooting a 65. Now consider this: is it possible that the bar has been raised since Tiger came out on tour? It's not secret that some of the major courses (including Augusta) changed their designs to thwart dominance by Tiger. On the same note it would be expected that other players would push themselves harder to meet his standard. So, all of a sudden Tiger finds himself in a field of players more competent to deal with his dominance but it's seem as him being in a slump? No, because he is still able to pull off statistics that no other player can't. When Tiger starts missing cuts and can't place himself in positions to win money, then I'd consider him in a slump.
Of course that's possible. That was my whole point in the buddy scenerio. Just because I'm arguing my point doesn't mean I can't see your side.

Basically, I'm saying Tiger isn't playing as well now as he was two or three years ago and you're saying he hasn't dropped off, the rest of the field has come up to meet him.

Hey, maybe Tiger's not in a slump. Maybe everybody else is just better; that could be the case. Or maybe he's not playing as well as he can. I think time will tell. What happens if he finally "puts it all together" and starts blowing out the rest of the field again? Then do we look back on this period and call it a slump or is it just another hot streak and he's just raising his level of play?

I still tend to believe its all about how you view a slump.

I didn't mean to imply that you have any "whack" beliefs. I never said I didn't respect them or that you're an idiot. I just said that I don't always agree with them. And arguing personal beliefs on a sports message board isn't something I enjoy doing.

-RB

Last edited by Noon; 04-21-2004 at 06:58 PM.