Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Closed Thread

Old 12-30-2004, 10:50 PM   #1
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road
Default Cal/PAC 10 not exactly flexing its muscle

Cal, getting run all over so far at the half. It just makes my blood boil since all this crap about how great Cal is is the reason auburn's playing in new orleans instead of miami. Just showing how overrated the PAC 10 is, The TT QB has 300 passing yards at the half. But, we'll see USC get beaten by OU and everyone on the west coast can shut up about having a legit. conference. They will always be behind the ACC, SEC, Big 12, and Big 10.

Last edited by tigereyes33; 12-30-2004 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-30-2004, 11:24 PM   #2
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

So, if Auburn gets smacked by Va Tech is it because Auburn is not as good as the hype suggests or they have no interest in playing this weekend if it is not the Orange Bowl?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
Old 12-31-2004, 12:03 AM   #3
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

Cal looks horrible. the tt defense isn't exactly stellar either. What makes me pissed is that i had picked TT in my office pool, than at the last second changed it to Cal. Thats the kind of stuff that just hangs with me for life.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:20 AM   #4
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

It's a classic trap Bowl game for Cal. They thought they should have been in a BCS Bowl, feel like they got screwed, don't appreciate the invite to play Texas Tech and don't really prepare for it, then get waxed.

I call it pulling a (K-State) Wildcat, as Kansas State did that very thing about six years ago; had an incredible season, lost to Texas A&M in the Big 12 championship game, went to a pre-New Years bowl and got crushed by Drew Brees and Purdue.

-RB
Old 12-31-2004, 12:24 AM   #5
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Yep...and Texas and Tennessee did it last year. You can almost set your watch by this phenomenon, and I think that Auburn will prove subsceptible as well.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 12-31-2004, 06:39 AM   #6
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

thats the coaches faults then....if i was the coach, i wouldnt care what kind of game my team was playing in, they better be prepared to go out there and give it everything they have regardless of who thinks they should be playing anywhere, this is just proving that they didnt deserve to be playing there in the first place. IMO, if Cal really felt they deserved to play in that bowl then they should have came out and dominated that game and proved to everyone why they should have played in the Rose Bowl.

this just makes me all the more happy since im a Texas fan now just wait for the Rose Bowl
Old 12-31-2004, 07:48 AM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

The Pac-10 is just plain bad. UCLA lost to Wyoming in the Las Vegas Bowl. Oregon State beat Notre Dame in a "BYU week" for the Irish in the Insight Bowl. Arizona State, without Andrew Walter, probably gets slammed by Purdue this afternoon in the Sun Bowl. That leaves USC-Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl. I'm predicting an Oklahoma victory and confirmation that the Pac-10 really is that bad.
Old 12-31-2004, 09:50 AM   #8
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex
Oregon State beat Notre Dame in a "BYU week" for the Irish in the Insight Bowl.
No, no, no, no, no. Oregon State only lost to USC by 8....how much did USC beat Notre Dame by?

That's a pretty convenient excuse, too. Team loses to someone you think they are better than? Just say that had a "BYU" (for example) week. In that case, Texas Tech beat Cal in a BYU week for the Bears.

I'm predicting a USC win and redemption for the Pac 10.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 01-01-2005, 03:10 PM   #9
gconnhokiebird

The scrubbing Texas [email protected] is getting by way of the Tennesee Voulenteers makes me feel even more so that Texas and Oklahoma will get beat in their bowl games. We also saw Oklahoma State get thier face beat in by Ohio State. Ohio State and [email protected] both played Texas and Oklahoma tough, proving even more that Auburn should be in the tittle game.
Old 01-01-2005, 03:18 PM   #10
Noon
You moterboatin' son of a

Noon is on a distinguished road

Hey, good call on that Minnesota-Bama game.

-RB
Old 01-01-2005, 03:27 PM   #11
gconnhokiebird

thats in whole nother thread, it was a surprise, Minnisota played pretty good and bama got ripped by 2 calls. Anyway I was just talking about the Big 12 south getting beat up.
Old 01-01-2005, 04:14 PM   #12
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinBeane
No, no, no, no, no. Oregon State only lost to USC by 8....how much did USC beat Notre Dame by?

That's a pretty convenient excuse, too. Team loses to someone you think they are better than? Just say that had a "BYU" (for example) week. In that case, Texas Tech beat Cal in a BYU week for the Bears.

I'm predicting a USC win and redemption for the Pac 10.
Good point Kevin. If this logic was put in place, then ASU are far better than the Iowa Hawkeyes who they crushed 44-7 and even that score doesn't show how lopsided that game actually was. Plus, ASU beat Purdue yesterday with a QB who'd never started a game before, Alex. I think USC are far in away the best team in a solid pac 10 closely followed by Cal and ASU. USC detroyed ASU, but the ASU vs Cal game would have been a lot different albeit for two horrible calls on the first two plays in the game which cost ASU an opening kickoff fumble and a Cal TD on the very next play when the wideout never had possesion of the ball in bounds. It was all up hill from there.
Old 01-02-2005, 04:39 AM   #13
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

UCLA - Laid an egg. They are better than Wyoming. Let's not argue that.

ASU - Purdue laid an egg. In fact, Purdue was pretty much an ostrich the second-half of the season.

OSU - Not sure Notre Dame had their heart in it.

Cal - No question one of best teams in the country. However, they had one of th worst matchups possible in Texas Tech. The only significant weakness of Cal's is their secondary. However that's no excuse for them as they were outplayed, outcoached and outhussled.

USC - One of the three best teams in the country (1,2,3 toss 'em in a hat). I think they'll lose to Oklahoma (and this coming from a guy who attends USC!), as their defense isn't great as the numbers, although in the second-half Carroll tightens up the screws very well. The "X" factor in the game is Norm Chow and whether he calls a V-Tech game (screens, reverses, trickery, stop and gos) or a Cal game (West Coast).

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
Old 01-02-2005, 01:45 PM   #14
gconnhokiebird

California is not in the top 10 in the country, I don't care if they played USC tight, their best win was stomping Arizona State and their not even that good. They got ripped by TT. Texas Techs defense isn't anything too special.

Notre Dame just sucks, you cant lose to so many bad teams and just continue to say thier laying an egg. They beat Michigan, but who knows. Michigan had a slow start, beat SanDiego State by 3. Notre Dame was just domintated by a much better Oregon State team.

Purdue didn't lay an egg, They have been playing like this the whole second half of the season. Their secondary really fell apart at the end and the offense wasn't on. I don't think the fact that walter was out for ASU even made a differnce b/c that Kelly is a good qb. He's coming back next year too.

I don't think USC has really shown all they are capable of. On such a big game they'll come up big. Auburn is better than both USC and Oklahoma but it will still be a good game.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:20 PM   #15
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by gconnhokiebird

I don't think the fact that walter was out for ASU even made a differnce b/c that Kelly is a good qb. He's coming back next year too.
It's Keller not Kelly and how do you know Walter wouldn't have made a difference and that Keller is good, when this was his first start ever and Walter had a great year throwing for 30 td's, inturn breaking John Elways alltime Pac 10 TD record.