Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-05-2005, 09:16 PM   #16
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

We also dominated UGA, and UT turned out to be pretty good, when they thrashed TAMU in Texas in the Cotton Bowl. And, why would this year be different? Are you serious? Jason Campbell has gone from a middle of the road conference QB to one of the most efficient and best in the nation. The defense is better everywhere, with the #1 scoring defense in the nation and the Thorpe Award Winner. And, we went through the best conference in football undefeated. It is just stupid to compare this year's team to last year's team. Here's a comparison:
Last year: UGA 26 AU-7
This Year: AU 24 UGA-6.
Last year:8-5
This year:13-0
Don't even touch last year. Everything about this team is better. But, again, I really don't care any more. Nobody has **** on us because we went out and came to play every week and won, beating 4 top 10 teams.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2005, 09:25 PM   #17
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

1. USC
2. Auburn
3. Texas
4. Georgia
5. Oklahoma
6. Utah
7. Virginia Tech
8. Miami
9. Tennesee
10. Michigan

11. Louisville
12. Iowa
13. LSU
14. Ohio State
15. Wisconsen
16. Texas Tech
17. California
18. Boise State
19. Oregon State
20. Arizona State
21. Minnisota
22. Boston College
23. Fresno State
24. Connecticut
25. Florida
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 09:59 AM   #18
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

tigereyes...you being a fan of the Tigers, I'm glad you fight for the recognition, even though you say you don't care anymore...

but you've simply missed my point regarding why I bring up last year's Auburn/USC game. Now...had Auburn won that game, we'd be on a very different path. Instead, they were humiliated by an unproven quarterback and a gaudy defense that basically shut down anything the Tigers threw at them. I know you don't like to be reminded of dark times, but if you're looking for a reason why the Tigers finished No.2 this season...you don't need to search any further than simply reminding yourself of this game...because in essence, it's the reason they weren't in position to stake their claim to a championship with this team.

Let's face it. This Auburn team wasn't facing enormous pressure to start the year...and they showed last season that when they do face it, they crumble. USC just went wire-to-wire as the No.1 team in the country...that's a historical feat. Even if you don't care, you should at least respect the recognized national champs and what they accomplished this season.

Last edited by El Jefe; 01-07-2005 at 07:31 AM.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:30 PM   #19
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

um...no
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 01:46 PM   #20
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

If El Jefe keeps making arguments I think I'm going to ask tigereyes33 permission to put "Auburn- 2004 National Champions" in my signature.

It's foolish to compare this year's Auburn team to last season's. Last year their defense wasn't as good. Campbell hadn't really emerged and they were trying to figure out to work both of those running backs into the offense.

And El Jefe, if you want to tell tiger he needs to respect USC, then you should lead by example and respect Auburn for going undefeated against a tougher schedule, up to the Bowl Game.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:05 PM   #21
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Graham
....and respect Auburn for going undefeated against a tougher schedule, up to the Bowl Game....
What?! Says who?? Not these guys. Or these guys. Or these guys.

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad O.

The line out of Vegas carries much more authority than the admittedly unofficial "Who Doug Thinks Will Win".
So to this, we can add the admittedly unofficial "Who Doug thinks has a tougher schedule."

There's a reason USC played so many tight conference games, a reason Oregon State blew out Notre Dame and was a couple extra points away from going down to Bayou Country and knocking off the defending champs in their opener, a reason Arizona State blew out the Big Ten co-champs, and so on. It's because the Pac-10 is GOOD; REAL F***ING good this year. In my mind, the best conference of 2004. I think we are just used to the Pac 10 sucking as they have in the past and just sort of automatically assume they suck this year.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 03:47 PM   #22
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Well, the "I think we are just used to the Pac 10 sucking" label can't be given to me. Seeing as I've supported the Conference the past couple of seasons and thought they had been underrated last season and the year before. This season the Pac-10 is not as good as it was last season. Because the Pac-10 was over-rated this year, USCs schedule comes off looking tougher.

CAL, for example is not a top 5 team, by any stretch and was blatantly exposed in their Bowl Game. If we knew that NOW, USCs strength of schedule wouldn't be as high.

The reason why Arizona State blew out Big Ten co-champs is because the Big Ten isn't that strong right now. The reason why Oregon State blew out Notre Dame is because Notre Dame is AWFUL.

You also didn't mention how UCLA lost to Wyoming.

The bottomline that you ignore Kevin is that I'm basing USCs Strength of schedule based on what we know NOW.

Going into the Bowls you'd have a valid point in linking those sites and then taking a shot at me, but you simply do not now, because you have chosen to ignore that Cal was rated entirely too high the entire season and lost to an average Texas Tech team.

So while you knock me for this "Who Doug thinks" crap, you completely kill any argument you have by still rating Cal as high as you do. Yet I don't see anyone throwing out a knock like the "admittedly unofficial Who Doug thinks" to you.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:15 PM   #23
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Only one conference defeated three other BCS conference champs this year, two of which on neutral sites: The Pac 10. That doesn't even include anything Cal did. What Cal did was not show up for a bowl game they should've never been in to begin with. That was quite unprofessional of them, but if you are contending that they gave it their all, and they lost simply because they aren't as good as most thought and I'm giving them too much credit, than NOTHING THAT HAPPENED THIS YEAR MAKES ANY SENSE. Not the fact that Cal lost but one regular season game, and that was in LA, by a hair, to USC. I guess Texas Tech by extension was actually better than USC because Cal, after all, was "exposed" in the Holiday Bowl. That's what you get if you extend that logic to its logical conclusion. Why did they win every bleepin' game, every one, except USC if they were overated "all year?" Why didn't Cal get blown out in LA by USC if they were overrated "all year?" If the PAC 10 had a down year, than why did USC (who won four Pac 10 games by single digits), beat the Big 12 and ACC Champs, on neutral site, by DOUBLE digits? I guess just the best the rest of the country has to offer just inexplicably doesn't show up when they play the pac 10, and Texas Tech was the first team to show up against Cal. Yeah, that's it.

I will be HAPPY to name far more embarrassing losses by bowl teams in every other conference than UCLA/Wyoming, if you like.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 01-06-2005, 04:21 PM   #24
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
than NOTHING THAT HAPPENED THIS YEAR MAKES ANY SENSE. Not the fact that Cal lost but one regular season game, and that was in LA, by a hair, to USC. I guess Texas Tech by extension was actually better than USC because Cal, after all, was "exposed" in the Holiday Bowl. That's what you get if you extend that logic to its logical conclusion.
That's not a logical sports conclusion at all.

Why did they win every game but one? Because they are a good team. I don't believe I've said that they are not a good team. A good team and over-rated are two different things.

Same with USC. I never said USC was having a down season along with the Pac-10. I think USC is an incredible team and better than last season.

Quote:
I will be HAPPY to name far more embarrassing losses by bowl teams in every other conference than UCLA/Wyoming, if you like.
Cool, despite that not being the issue at hand. The issue at hand being you propping the Conference up on their wins and ignoring their losses. All Conferences are going to get losses and wins in Bowl Games. Some bad, some good.

Last edited by HibachiDG; 01-06-2005 at 04:46 PM.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:39 PM   #25
Cowboy22
All-Star Player

Cowboy22 is on a distinguished road

USC and Oklahoma entered the year 1 and 2. And no matter what any other team in the entire nation does, if USC and Oklahoma don't lose, than they will remain 1 and 2.

I am a big SEC fan based on my location, but I have no doubts that this was the national championship game that should've been played. If this were an Auburn-USC Orange Bowl, than people would cry out that Oklahoma should've went. If it were Oklahoma-Auburn, than everyone whines about how USC missed out 2 years in a row. There's no possible way to satisfy everybody. Despite the title game's blowout, I still won't go back and change my mind.

Auburn also played an extremely weak out of conference schedule. Last year, the Tigers played USC, Georgia Tech, Western Kentucky, and UL-Monroe. This year they played UL Monroe, The Citadel, and Louisiana Tech. The best of those three (LA Tech) cruised to a 6-6 record and Sportsline ranked them 71 on the season.

USC played ooc Virginia Tech (who won the ACC Championship), BYU, Colorado State, and Notre Dame (51 by Sportsline.com).

Oklahoma played Bowling Green who went 9-3, clobbered a good Memphis team, and finished in the Top 25. They also played Houston and Oregon.

If Auburn would've played at least ONE good out of conference school, they might've been in the Orange Bowl.

Another thing... When both schools have TWO Heisman candidates a piece, it's hard to say no.

I will congratulate Auburn on a great year, but in the end, it was simply not the best of situations. Tough break... live with it.
Home of Emmitt Smith---All-Time Rushing Leader (17,162 Yards)
Cowboy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:49 PM   #26
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Doug Graham

The issue at hand being you propping the Conference up on their wins and ignoring their losses.
You're saying that going through the regular season 10-1, with the only loss by 3 points at the home of the National Champs did not necessarily mean Cal was as good as advertised....and that their bowl game without their two best receivers that had LETDOWN GAME and JUST GOING THROUGH THE MOTIONS written all over it, well that loss definitely means they were NOT as good as advertised....these 11 regular season games aren't as telling as this one bowl defeat...and *I'M* the one cherry-picking results that fit my opinion?

:uhoh:

Old 01-06-2005, 08:33 PM   #27
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

No, it means that before the Bowl Games I thought Utah, Texas, Georgia, and Louisville were as good as Cal and that the Bowls showed me that this was the case.

I'm hardly cherry picking results here.

At no point did I call Cal a BAD team. Just that to rate THEM behind that triumverate was wrong to me then and the TT game confirmed that.
Old 01-06-2005, 10:25 PM   #28
gconnhokiebird
age 13- itallion stallion

gconnhokiebird is on a distinguished road

yeah... I agree with Doug b/c Cals best win was against Arizona State. I think their an ok team. They just never beat anybody that good. Yes they played USC very tough, yet so did UCLA and Notre Dame who both lost their bowl games. (In embarrising fasion) Than they lose to Texas Tech I don't care why, they just lost.
gconnhokiebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 12:37 AM   #29
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

1. Southern Cal
2. Auburn
3. Oklahoma
4. Texas
5. Utah
6. Michigan
7. Tennessee
8. Iowa
9. Virginia Tecah
10. Georgia
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 02:04 AM   #30
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by gconnhokiebird
Yes they played USC very tough, yet so did UCLA and Notre Dame
Um....Notre Dame lost to USC 41-10.