Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 01-20-2005, 02:13 AM   #1
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road
Default Guess what's around the corner?

that's right! Signing Day!

How does your teams recruiting class look like?

Discuss
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 04:28 PM   #2
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

First a personal anecdote- Joe Paterno was at my high school today talking to recruit Brennan Coakley. I didn't get to see him but pretty neat none the less.

Penn State has had just about as good a recruiting season as you can have coming off of a 4-7 season.

Derrick Williams, WR- The top player in the nation who could be a difference maker on either side of the ball. After such an awful season on offense in 2004, Williams may get a chance to start right away.

Justin King, CB- While defense is far from an issue, King is a huge pick up. After being long rumored to be headed to Michigan, King decided to attend his Penn State. His stepfather, Terry Smith, played WR at PSU in the late '80's and early '90's.

Lydell Sargeant, RB- A PA native who played his college ball in California and is good friends with King, a reason we landed him. He was the MVP of the CaliFlorida All Star game. He's a little small but seems like another Mike Hart in the making.

The rest are two and three stars guys but the most important thing about this year's class is speed. Penn State has lacked it on both sides of the ball for the last couple of seasons. Derrick Williams and Just King both run better 40's than Ted Ginn Jr. just to give you an idea of the speed.
Old 01-20-2005, 06:06 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Same as every year. Buncha unranked two and three star guys (per Rivals.com). Usually, there's a standout (like last year's Pernell Williams, who got some playing time as a freshman late in the year, and who showed some stuff), but there isn't really anyone on the list this year with a stunning resume.

Which is, as I noted, the norm.

Dave
Old 01-20-2005, 06:23 PM   #4
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

it shows we got the top QB in the nation in Perriloux comin to the Horns and i read somewhere else that we got the top TE in the state of TX too, but other then that im not really sure
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
Alex
#1 Student Section

Perriloux is a soft verbal, no? Supposedly he was impressed by USF!
Old 01-20-2005, 07:12 PM   #6
coachJ
All-Star Player

coachJ is on a distinguished road

yea, hes not a for sure commitment i dont think, i dont really know much about the recruiting class for Texas though.
coachJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2005, 10:48 PM   #7
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

Well my Tigers are doing very well and might get one of the top RB's in the nation who is down to Miami or Auburn. If Auburn gets that, we'll definently finish in the top 5. Here are the current team rankings. Right now Tennessee is on top.team recruiting rankings
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:10 AM   #8
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by MountaineerDave
Same as every year. Buncha unranked two and three star guys (per Rivals.com). Usually, there's a standout (like last year's Pernell Williams, who got some playing time as a freshman late in the year, and who showed some stuff), but there isn't really anyone on the list this year with a stunning resume.

Which is, as I noted, the norm.

Dave
Looked like RB/FB/LB Jason Gwaltney was yours 2 months ago, now its between OSU and USC, which judging from what he expects out of his Frosh year, I'm surprised he switched away from WVU.

I listened to his online chat(his and a few others) last week from San Antonio and he said he wants to go somehwere where he will play right away. He probably wont play right away at USC, not at RB, the position he prefers, OSU he may and WVU he may have also, who knows.

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 09:21 AM   #9
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by coachJ
it shows we got the top QB in the nation in Perriloux comin to the Horns and i read somewhere else that we got the top TE in the state of TX too, but other then that im not really sure
Perriloux is considered the top DUAL threat QB in the country, but the #2 overall in the country behind Ryan Sanchez(USC commit), this per Rivals.

The TE your talking about is Jermichael Finley, who is the #6 ranked TE in the country, but not even the #1 in the state, that is
Martellus Bennett, who is the #1 overall TE in the country and he is down to his final 2 choices Texas A&M and Texas.

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 01-21-2005, 09:47 AM   #10
Sports Virtuoso

USC 's class is looking better then I had expected, though it hasnt yet produced any DT's. They have the #1 ranked QB Mark Sanchez, #1 ranked ILB Ray Maualuga, #1 ranked weakside DE in Averell Spicer and the #1 WR in 6-5 210 Patrick Turner, who surprised me by coming to USC and NOT Tennessee, Turner is from Nashville,Tennessee and both his parents are UT grads.

USC also got the #2 safety Will Harris, SC needed depth here, there starters were set, but they needed depth here. Another spot our starters return but we needed depth at was CB and we got the #7 guy Kevin Thomas.

Right now we appear to be in the lead for Brian Cushing from New Jersey, the #5 rated OLB, if we get him that also gives us 2 of the top 10 OLB, Kaluka Maiava from Hawaii already committed to SC.

Others were in the running for: #3 WR Desean Jackson, #3 DT Ekom Udofia, #3 RB Jason Gwaltney(he's down to USC or OSU), # 3 ILB Luther Brown(who everyone on the SC fans boards wants more then anyone else) 4.57 speed for an ILB is pretty good, few others, but these are the most noteworthy ones.

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:58 PM   #11
FSUViking
ESPN 8...The Ocho!

FSUViking is on a distinguished road

I just want FSU to land WR Fred Rouse, and I think they will despite heavy competition from Texas, Miami, and LSU.

As for Minnesota, it appears they are close to bringing in Walker Ashley. That would be HUGE for them.
FSU: #3 recruiting class in the nation.
FSUViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 08:01 PM   #12
Alex
#1 Student Section

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUViking
As for Minnesota, it appears they are close to bringing in Walker Ashley. That would be HUGE for them.
I would like to know your source of information on that. He's USC's to lose. Ohio State appears to be the only other school in consideration right now since he elimanated Penn State after his official visit last weekend.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:46 PM   #13
Bucknut
Grizzled Veteran

Bucknut is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by #47
Looked like RB/FB/LB Jason Gwaltney was yours 2 months ago, now its between OSU and USC, which judging from what he expects out of his Frosh year, I'm surprised he switched away from WVU.

I listened to his online chat(his and a few others) last week from San Antonio and he said he wants to go somehwere where he will play right away. He probably wont play right away at USC, not at RB, the position he prefers, OSU he may and WVU he may have also, who knows.

If immediate playing time is that important to him, and it's down to USC or OSU.....might as well start sewing GWALTNEY on a Buckeye jersey. Running Back has been a major weakness at Ohio State the last two seasons. If he's good he'll start.

As far as recruiting class - Ohio State's is pretty good, especially considering ESPN's smear campaign. A couple uncomitted recruits (mentioned in this thread already) could make this class a very good one, assuming all the verbals come through.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:37 PM   #14
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by FSUViking
I just want FSU to land WR Fred Rouse, and I think they will despite heavy competition from Texas, Miami, and LSU.

I think FSU gets Rouse also.

But as Alex said above, I believe Ashley is leaning towards USC. But at the same time. Gabe Long the #1 rated DT in JC appears headed to SC.............6-4 280 and runs a 4.76, not bad wheels for a DT............that would fit nicely into SC's slanting, gap attacking aggresive front scheme.

So maybe Ashley would change directios knowing Long is coming, I hope not.

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:47 PM   #15
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Bucknut
If immediate playing time is that important to him, and it's down to USC or OSU.....might as well start sewing GWALTNEY on a Buckeye jersey. Running Back has been a major weakness at Ohio State the last two seasons. If he's good he'll start.

As far as recruiting class - Ohio State's is pretty good, especially considering ESPN's smear campaign. A couple uncomitted recruits (mentioned in this thread already) could make this class a very good one, assuming all the verbals come through.
Hey, OSU already got Wells, nice get getting him out of Florida, dude can fly, great speed. I understand he ran a 4.4 at the Nike camp, but has run as low as a 4.35.

They also got one of the top OL in the country, he's rated #2 or #3, I cant remember his name, I know he's from Ohio though, I know he appears to be a Classic tackle.

Jamario O'neal(sp) also, one of the top couple corners in the country too.

I would be surprised if Gwaltney didnt end up a Buckeye.

Fight On!
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.