Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz

Old 05-31-2010, 04:32 PM   #106
Brad O.

Brad O. will become famous soon enough

A few post-114 thoughts:

* Rampage looked totally outclassed against Evans. He's got heavy hands, so there's a puncher's chance against anyone, but he was no match for Rashad's speed and was on the defensive for 14 minutes out of 15.

* Dan Miller no longer looks like a promising prospect.

* Jason Brilz got robbed.

* I've never seen Diego Sanchez look like that. I don't know what the problem was, but there was definitely a problem. I agree with Dana White that I'd rather see him at 155 at this point. And if Gray Maynard beats Florian, we've got to do Florian/Sanchez II, don't we? At 160-catchweight, if need be.

* Dong Hyun Kim could be a factor at 170. So could John Hathaway, for that matter.

* Efrain Escudero looked like a serious up-and-comer six months ago, but I think he's quickly becoming a joke. I'd like to see him fight Ross Pearson.

Did you catch Dream.14 at all? I couldn't believe how easily Ralek Gracie handled Sakuraba.
Brad O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 09:37 AM   #107
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad O. View Post
Rampage looked totally outclassed against Evans. He's got heavy hands, so there's a puncher's chance against anyone, but he was no match for Rashad's speed and was on the defensive for 14 minutes out of 15.

Being away 14 months and having to cut a whopping 46 pounds in order to make weight for the fight were also issues; and we'll never know what would have happened had Rashad not tried to foolishly stand and strike with an opponent who was four inches bigger than him last Memorial Day weekend - in a pathetic effort to prevent a bunch of beer-guzzlers who make $10 an hour from booing him.

Quote:
Dan Miller no longer looks like a promising prospect.
For some reason, I was never big on him.

Quote:
Jason Brilz got robbed.
Maybe if he fought where he belonged - probably 170 - he wouldn't be in a position to get robbed.

Quote:
I've never seen Diego Sanchez look like that. I don't know what the problem was, but there was definitely a problem. I agree with Dana White that I'd rather see him at 155 at this point. And if Gray Maynard beats Florian, we've got to do Florian/Sanchez II, don't we? At 160-catchweight, if need be.

It might become real interesting if they put some sort of "title" on the line - as Florian is 0-3 lifetime in title fights, if one counts his loss to Diego in the TUF1 finale as such, and 14-1 otherwise (including his TUF1 semifinal win over Chris Leben).

Quote:
Dong Hyun Kim could be a factor at 170. So could John Hathaway, for that matter.
A factor for second place to Georges St.-Pierre, maybe.

Quote:
Efrain Escudero looked like a serious up-and-comer six months ago, but I think he's quickly becoming a joke. I'd like to see him fight Ross Pearson.
Junie Browning tried to warn us all that Escudero was a joke.

But you should never have to justify a win - and Escudero did win.

Quote:
Did you catch Dream.14 at all? I couldn't believe how easily Ralek Gracie handled Sakuraba.
Isn't Dream now "allied" with StrikeForce and M-1, who are co-promoting a show on June 26th in San Jose?

Meanwhile, here's a link to my article. Hope you enjoy.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 07:35 PM   #108
Brad O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Being away 14 months and having to cut a whopping 46 pounds in order to make weight for the fight were also issues
Undoubtedly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony
we'll never know what would have happened had Rashad not tried to foolishly stand and strike with an opponent who was four inches bigger than him last Memorial Day weekend - in a pathetic effort to prevent a bunch of beer-guzzlers who make $10 an hour from booing him.
I was puzzled that Rashad never shot on Machida, but I don't think he was ever going to win that fight. Machida has great takedown defense, and he's faster than Rashad. It wasn't just wrestling that Rashad used to beat Rampage; he was basically untouchable in the stand-up exchanges, because he was so much quciker than Jackson. The situation was reversed last year: Evans couldn't touch Machida, but kept getting tagged himself.

Quote:
Maybe if [Brilz] fought where he belonged - probably 170 - he wouldn't be in a position to get robbed.
I don't get it.

Quote:
It might become real interesting if they put some sort of "title" on the line - as Florian is 0-3 lifetime in title fights, if one counts his loss to Diego in the TUF1 finale as such, and 14-1 otherwise (including his TUF1 semifinal win over Chris Leben).
Florian's struggles in title bouts are well-documented, but obviously irrelevant here. I think he'd have to be a substantial favorite over Sanchez at this point. In fact, if he gets past Maynard and Frankie Edgar wins his rematch with B.J. Penn, Florian might be a slight favorite to capture the title.

Quote:
A factor for second place to Georges St.-Pierre, maybe.
Yeah. No one but GSP is likely to hold that belt any time soon. I consider people like Jon Fitch and such to be "factors" in the division, but I agree with you: GSP looks basically untouchable at the moment.

Quote:
But you should never have to justify a win - and Escudero did win.
I actually disagree. Escudero didn't appear to take the fight seriously and didn't make an effort to finish. If he had been fighting a UFC-caliber opponent, that could have created some real problems for him. And Anderson Silva may be able to get away with spending a round or two showboating instead of fighting, but the Escuderos of the world need to get in there and throw some strikes, or shoot for takedowns, or something.

MMA is an entertainment industry, and Zuffa is an entertainment company. If Escudero expects to be paid for his performances, he needs to perform in such a way that people will pay for the privilege of watching him fight. Otherwise the company is losing money on him.

This is partly the fault of Dan Lauzon and the UFC. Lauzon was totally overmatched here, which facilitated Efrain's treating the fight like a joke.

Quote:
Isn't Dream now "allied" with StrikeForce and M-1, who are co-promoting a show on June 26th in San Jose?
Yes, they co-promote. Dream is getting smashed by Strikeforce, incidentally.

Quote:
Meanwhile, here's a link to my article. Hope you enjoy.
I read the piece. That's quite the conspiracy theory. I disagree that Saturday's fight was lay and pray.
Old 06-04-2010, 03:27 AM   #109
Anthony

Quote:
I was puzzled that Rashad never shot on Machida, but I don't think he was ever going to win that fight. Machida has great takedown defense, and he's faster than Rashad. It wasn't just wrestling that Rashad used to beat Rampage; he was basically untouchable in the stand-up exchanges, because he was so much quciker than Jackson. The situation was reversed last year: Evans couldn't touch Machida, but kept getting tagged himself.

Maybe, maybe not; but at least he could have run Machida to a decision. After all, David Heath - another undersized wrestler type who has much less overall ability than Rashad - did.

Quote:
I don't get it.

Jason Brilz is lucky that impersonating a LHW MMA fighter is not a crime. That's what I meant.

Quote:
Florian's struggles in title bouts are well-documented, but obviously irrelevant here. I think he'd have to be a substantial favorite over Sanchez at this point. In fact, if he gets past Maynard and Frankie Edgar wins his rematch with B.J. Penn, Florian might be a slight favorite to capture the title.

More than a few people see Kenny Florian as the Fran Tarkenton or the Jim Kelly of the UFC.

Quote:
Yeah. No one but GSP is likely to hold that belt any time soon. I consider people like Jon Fitch and such to be "factors" in the division, but I agree with you: GSP looks basically untouchable at the moment.

But would GSP move up to 185 if Anderson Silva moves up to 205?

Quote:
MMA is an entertainment industry, and Zuffa is an entertainment company ... he needs to perform in such a way that people will pay for the privilege of watching him fight. Otherwise the company is losing money on him.

You could insert a lot of different names here.

Quote:
Yes, they co-promote. Dream is getting smashed by Strikeforce, incidentally.

But how can you "smash" an ally? It's how the three of them - Strikeforce, M-1 and Dream - are doing against the UFC that counts.

Quote:
I read the piece. That's quite the conspiracy theory. I disagree that Saturday's fight was lay and pray.

That depends on how "lay and pray" is defined; according to the prevailing view within the fan base - or at least that segment of same that screams the loudest - anything other than just standing there and striking equals "lay and pray."

But what about Jamie Yager the other night?
Old 06-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #110
Brad O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Maybe, maybe not; but at least he could have run Machida to a decision. After all, David Heath - another undersized wrestler type who has much less overall ability than Rashad - did.
Did you watch the Evans-Machida fight? Rashad never had a chance.

Quote:
Jason Brilz is lucky that impersonating a LHW MMA fighter is not a crime. That's what I meant.
Anthony, I think you drastically overestimate the benefits of dropping a weight class. Brilz looked great against Little Nog, and that fight is the best thing that's ever happened to his career. Fėdor Emelianenko is smaller than almost everyone he fights. Rashad is the #3 LHW in the world. Frankie Edgar is the UFC LW champion. Jose Aldo and Urijah Faber could both make 135.

I'm starting to think the benefits of not having to cut weight are a greater advantage than being larger than your opponent. Very few fighters are as effective when they switch to a new weight class.

Quote:
But would GSP move up to 185 if Anderson Silva moves up to 205?
I really doubt it. GSP isn't ducking Anderson Silva, he's fighting at his natural weight class, where he is utterly dominating.

Quote:
But how can you "smash" an ally? It's how the three of them - Strikeforce, M-1 and Dream - are doing against the UFC that counts.
I didn't mean financially. I meant head-to-head: Melendez over Aoki, Diaz over Sakurai, etc. You know, the actual fights.

Quote:
But what about Jamie Yager the other night?
I guess that's what happens when you're used to fights lasting under a minute. He never looked the same after eating that first punch. I think we call that "dish it out but can't take it".
Old 06-06-2010, 03:24 AM   #111
Anthony

Quote:
Did you watch the Evans-Machida fight? Rashad never had a chance.
Well the way Rashad approached the fight, of course he didn't.

Quote:
Anthony, I think you drastically overestimate the benefits of dropping a weight class. Brilz looked great against Little Nog, and that fight is the best thing that's ever happened to his career. Fėdor Emelianenko is smaller than almost everyone he fights. Rashad is the #3 LHW in the world. Frankie Edgar is the UFC LW champion. Jose Aldo and Urijah Faber could both make 135.

I'm starting to think the benefits of not having to cut weight are a greater advantage than being larger than your opponent. Very few fighters are as effective when they switch to a new weight class.

The late Evan Tanner - who was a close personal friend of some of my closest friends in the industry (even though I never actually met him personally) strongly disagreed with this: A while back his fight vs. David Terrell (the UFC fighter, not the uber-bust NFL receiver!) was on UFC Unleashed; apparently he had recently moved down to 185 from 205, and asked why he did so, Tanner said, and I quote (maybe not word-for-word): "Because I wanted to be more dominant ... more aggressive."

Also, it doesn't play out the same way in the lighter weight classes, where no one has really feared KO power. Thus a fighter who's 5'4" and fighting at 135 is at much less of a disadvantage than a fighter who's 5'9" and fighting at 205.

Quote:
I really doubt it. GSP isn't ducking Anderson Silva, he's fighting at his natural weight class, where he is utterly dominating.

I never claimed he was ducking Anderson Silva per se; however, MW fights typically command higher purses than WW fights, and if he moved up to MW concomitant with Silva's moving up to LHW, where do you think GSP would rank among the middleweights, before even his first fight at that weight class?

Quote:
I didn't mean financially. I meant head-to-head: Melendez over Aoki, Diaz over Sakurai, etc. You know, the actual fights.
That's why two heads are better than one - and three heads are better still.

Quote:
I guess that's what happens when you're used to fights lasting under a minute. He never looked the same after eating that first punch. I think we call that "dish it out but can't take it".

That's the downside of being a front-running "bully" in one's fights: If such a fighter doesn't get the early stoppage, he runs the risk of falling apart like a $20 suit in a nor'easter.

Same goes for Brock Lesnar: If he doesn't win the first round when he fights Shane Carwin, it is very unlikely that he'll win the fight (although I'm certainly not expecting him to neglect to answer the bell for the next round the way Jamie Yager did).
Old 09-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #112
dagulskie
Sports Enthusiast

dagulskie is on a distinguished road
Default The Official SC UFC/MMA Thread

Good to hear that UFC/MMA will be legalized in the U.S.
dagulskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:58 AM   #113
Anthony

Actually it has been legal in most U.S. states for quite some time now, New York being a notable exception, but that's likely to change should, as expected, Andrew Cuomo wins that state's gubernatorial election in three weeks, as Cuomo - a Democrat like his father Mario, himself a former long-time governor of the state - has come out in favor of legalization while his Republican opponent, Carl Paladino, has thus far remained silent on the issue (one of the few things he has in fact remained silent about!).

What you may be referring to, dagulskie, is the fact that Ontario, Canada's most populous province, has just sanctioned MMA, effective 12:01 AM on January 1 (it was already legal in Quebec, Manitoba, British Columbia, and perhaps other provinces as well). Dana White has wasted no time in announcing that a 2011 UFC card will be held in Toronto.