Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Miscellaneous Sports Discussion > Other Sports Blitz

Old 04-03-2001, 08:52 AM   #16
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

I think that the arguments about the leagues are good. We've had them in other sections before. It aids to the "discussion". I wouldn't go about bashing someone else's opinion so drastically. Comments like that from you, FL Tiger can also "lose posters" as you put it. This is a sports discussion board, we are supposed to be discussing.

And for your opinion, I do not like the XFL either

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 09:45 AM   #17
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Wait a minute... wait a minute... BACK THE BUS UP!

HOCKEY games take too long to play!?... yeah, they probably do, but at least there's something HAPPENING all the time!... in NBA games, it takes them at least a half hour to play the last two minutes!!!!....

Anyway... the XFL could have as many teams as they want and I STILL wouldn't watch it. The quality of play stinks... I watched the first half of the first game and did not like it... now, I tune into XFL games every once in a while on Sunday afternoons and I always see the ball slipping out of the quarterback's hand... or the QB being saced or SOMETHING that just does not make for good football... now, if that happens every time I happen to change the channell to watch it, which are a very few, RANDOM times, I have to assume that it's not good football.

Also, I don't care to watch wrestlers talk about the XFL... that guy that has Rocks in his head did the opening intro for the XFL and that really turned me off... right from the start.... I wanted to watch FOOTBALL.... not some guy as smart as a Rock.

....also, I can almost assure you that the Saturday Night NHL ratings were much higher than that of the XFL's on Saturday Night...

...and I KEEP TELLING YOU ALL that the XFL has SUNDAY AFTERNOON GAMES... *everyone* keeps thinking that they're only on Saturday night but they aren't... why don't we ever hear about Sunday ratings, because someone said, "football should traditionally be played on Sunday afternoons" -- well, the XFL IS on Sunday afternoons...
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 10:23 AM   #18
FL Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

FL Tiger is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up

Look, I am not going to argue the merits of the NHL versus the XFL. I lived in St Louis for three years and never went to a Blues' game. Why? Because it costs $50 for the cheap seats, way up in the rafters. And since almost 3/4 of the teams in the league make it to the playoffs anyway, it really doesn't make since to pay that kind of money for a regular season game.

Again, I like the XFL because I have been to an actual game, four of them in fact. I have season tickets on the 50-yard line, eight rows up at the Citrus Bowl, arguably the best seats in the house. How much did they cost? Twenty-five bucks. And they give everyone a free game program on top of it.

To be honest, I haven't followed too closely what they show on TV. Each game I've been to was a lot of fun. I've gone to the game with four different friends, one of whom was a big skeptic of the league -- and ALL of them had a great time. My friend from Kansas City flew down last home game and said going to a Orlando Rage game was no different than going to a Kansas City Chiefs' game.

Okay, we agree to disagree. Keep watching your defunct hockey team in Phoenix and I'll keep watching the XFL. The difference is that I will have a team to cheer for next year.

Last edited by FL Tiger; 04-03-2001 at 10:39 AM.
FL Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2001, 07:02 PM   #19
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Well, I WAS going to agree to disagree with you, until you shafted hockey in your last scentence there...

So, I'll agree to disagree (if you want to) after these two statements:

ONE: I don't like Phoenix... where did you get that idea -- I have NO CLUE.

TWO: FYI: Only 53% (not "almost 75%") of the teams in the NHL make it to the playoffs... same with the NBA.... that's 16 teams... we can say that's half the league, because there's no way you can allow 15 teams into the playoffs for an even number... now, excuse me if I'm wrong, but don't 50% of the XFL teams make it to the XFL Playoffs!?

THREE: "The difference is that I will have a team to cheer for next year." I don't get what's that suspose to me... with me being a fan primarily of the Ottawa Senators (well, pretty much all six Canadian NHL clubs are my #1 favorite NHL teams...) and secondly the Colorado Avalanche, I would say there's a much larger chance of them still being around in the next 2-5 years than the Orlando Rage or, for that matter, the XFL...
Old 04-03-2001, 08:39 PM   #20
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Wedge231 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by FL Tiger
Keep watching your defunct hockey team in Phoenix and I'll keep watching the XFL. The difference is that I will have a team to cheer for next year.
This is one of the funniest posts I have ever read! Where did you decide Lee liked the Coyotes??? We all know he's Candian and has no reason to like a team in the Southwest United States. Also, I agree with Lee, in a couple of years, the NHL will be around and I'm not too sure about the XFL. And yes, we do have a team here but nobody I know ever watches it anymore. I put it on last weekend and just sighed and watched NCAA instead.

I'm Back After 5 Months
Wedge231 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 12:44 PM   #21
FL Tiger
Grizzled Veteran

FL Tiger is on a distinguished road

Ugh, let's see...he has Winnipeg, Manitoba as his address and a Winnipeg Jets' logo. The last time I checked, Winnipeg couldn't cut it as a major-league town and the Jets folded and moved to Phoenix. Sorry I had to explain that to you.
FL Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2001, 06:52 PM   #22
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Exactly... I am/was WINNIPEG JETS fan... but you saying that I am a Coyotes fan is like me telling you that you are an Expos fan or Braves fan -- just teams I pull out of from the air!!!!

I am MAD and DICRASED (sp? -- I know I spelled that wrong!) at the NHL for taking my team away from them and them being moved to a place where hockey should not be played... e.g. Phoenix.

The PHOENIX COYOTES are not the WINNIPEG JETS. I WAS a WINNIPEG JETS fan... I am not A PHOENIX COYOTES fan.
Old 04-04-2001, 08:36 PM   #23
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Thanks for clearing that up. He does make some sense though. For example, if a team I liked moved, I think I may still like them after they play in a new city.

I'm Back After 5 Months
Old 04-04-2001, 08:49 PM   #24
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Maybe... for example, if the New York Mets moved (my 2nd fav baseball team behind Toronto), I would still cheer for them... If the Minnesota Vikings or Buffalo Bills (my fav NFL teams) moved, I'd still cheer for them... but the Winnipeg Jets, a Canadian HOCKEY franchise, moving to the US of A is completely different... maybe not if it moved within Canada... but the American National Anthem was booed during the final few home games in Winnipeg... why?... America is stealing our game and I guess that was the time -- when Manitoba lost it's only pro sports franchise on the international scale -- when Manitobans really realized it... and now I'm real mad about it...

Down with the Coyotes.
Old 04-04-2001, 08:53 PM   #25
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

The Mets are your second favorite baseball team? THat is awesome, good choice.

If one of my teams moved to Canada, I would not root for them ever again.

I'm Back After 5 Months
Old 04-05-2001, 09:43 AM   #26
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally posted by Wedge231
The Mets are your second favorite baseball team? THat is awesome, good choice.

If one of my teams moved to Canada, I would not root for them ever again.
SEE -- when your fav teams moves to a whole new, almost rival-type country... it's just not the same....

but yes, the Mets are my second fav team in baseball next to the Blue Jays... I think I started kinda liking them a few seasons ago when I watched their NLCS against the Braves (that's the series that included the 15 or so inning game!... the longest ever in baseball)... then I just started liking them, so.....

we are not on-topic of the XFL, but who cares!... baseball is much more exciting!!!!!!
Old 04-26-2001, 09:48 AM   #27
Titandude
Sports Enthusiast

Titandude is on a distinguished road

Yeah blame the USA for all your hockey problems.

America isn't "stealing" anything. If you can't keep up with the big dogs, then you stay on the porch. That's what's happening. It's a business. If you're so mad, give us back our baseball teams, and then go start your own hockey league.

And booing the American National Anthem...how classy...guess that shatters more of those myths about how much better Canadians are than American .

And since I know Tiger pretty well, I'll say that you guys have totally missed his point. You guys came on here and instead of having an intelligent discussion about the problems of the XFL, you choose to take the easy way out and make a bunch of junvenile comments about the league. Tiger likes the XFL, and that's his right. He went to 5 XFL games, how many did any of you go to? And like he said, I bet you made your accessment of the XFL after "watching 5 minutes of Week 1." But then you get mad when Tiger turned the tables on you and busted your precious NHL. Doesn't feel too good does it?
Titandude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 02:18 PM   #28
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

I saw approximately 10 minutes of the entire XFL season. I didn't like what I saw, but I'm not really a football fan. If the XFL makes it on its own merits, fine. If it doesn't make it, also fine. Let the XFL fans have their sport and continue watching, and enjoying, yours.
Tiger, I hope you can enjoy at least one more season.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2001, 11:32 PM   #29
Wedge231
Fan of Struggling Teams

Quote:
Originally posted by Titandude
And since I know Tiger pretty well, I'll say that you guys have totally missed his point. You guys came on here and instead of having an intelligent discussion about the problems of the XFL, you choose to take the easy way out and make a bunch of junvenile comments about the league. Tiger likes the XFL, and that's his right. He went to 5 XFL games, how many did any of you go to? And like he said, I bet you made your accessment of the XFL after "watching 5 minutes of Week 1." But then you get mad when Tiger turned the tables on you and busted your precious NHL. Doesn't feel too good does it?
Ummm, actually we already had another thread about the XFL and how we thought we could make it better and attract more viewers. This thread was about how the XFL's season was ending and alot of people were happy it was finally over. Many people don't like the league because it does not have a high level of play, they focus on cheerleaders too much, and there's too much of a wrestling theme to it. I actually am happy someone actually likes the league. I am not such a big football fan so to me, the XFL was just another league that had a bunch of unknown players like arena football or something. I caught a couple minutes of a few games but really didn't like it. Now if they had a league similar to the XFL for baseball, I would watch it because I love baseball a lot more than football.

I'm Back After 5 Months
Old 04-28-2001, 02:40 AM   #30
mojo
Sports Enthusiast

mojo is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee

I am MAD and DICRASED (sp? -- I know I spelled that wrong!) at the NHL for taking my team away from them and them being moved to a place where hockey should not be played... e.g. Phoenix.

Why should hockey not be played in Phoenix?
mojo is offline   Reply With Quote