Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 09-24-2004, 08:45 PM   #1
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Habs Fan is on a distinguished road
Default Williams has to return $8.6M to the Fish

YES!!!!! I was watching this circus and I'm glad that he has to pay up. Williams is a mess and I hope he never plays again. The gaul of this clown ...... refusing to pay back money he didn't even earn and even worse telling the Fish he might return to camp during the preseason if he received a new contract. What a jerk.

Personally if Williams wants to smoke weed that's his choice. I really feel for the Fish and their fans who due to Williams' selfishness, left the team in a lurch by announcing that he was quiting way to late in the preseason.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2004, 09:37 PM   #2
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

I'm one happy camper
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 03:22 AM   #3
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

But wait - there's more to this story than that: Apparently Ricky has already spent a substantial portion of the money, and if the Dolphins demand it back he can file Chapter 11 bankruptcy, and in the process he may become a free agent.

There is a precedent: Punter Reggie Roby filed Chapter 11 in the spring of 1993, and as a result became a free agent - and the team he "freed" himself from was also the Dolphins; he signed with the Redskins that summer. The key here that Chapter 11 is for individuals (and more commonly businesses) that are contemplating "reorganization" (that is to say, they plan to resume making a lot of money); if Williams filed Chapter 7 instead the "debt" would be discharged but he probably wouldn't be granted free agency (in either case he would be able to keep any residential property he owns in Florida, as such property, no matter how much it's worth, is considered exempt under the state's bankruptcy laws; that's why O.J. lives there).

Last edited by Anthony; 09-25-2004 at 05:48 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 01:10 PM   #4
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Well, this is one time I hope the league steps in and makes everyone accountable. IF and this is a big IF someone signs him ..... they should take back a percentage of his wages to pay the Fish. It's only fair.

I just don't want this loser getting away with this. And to think I USED to cheer for the guy.

Favorite Teams: NHL - Canadiens .... NBA - Spurs .... MLB - Jays .... NFL - Cowboys
Old 09-25-2004, 10:26 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Looks like Mike Tyson isn't the only athlete who is an idiot when it comes to managing their blown fortunes.

That better be some good stuff he's smoking... :smokin:
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2004, 11:06 PM   #6
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

Well, maybe we'll get something out of Williams yet.

Still, it's going to be a long season. I actually cringed watching the Sunday night game against Cincy.

I don't mind Ricky doing what he wants in life, but to be so damn irresponsible about it is annoying as hell.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 03:29 AM   #7
Anthony

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
Looks like Mike Tyson isn't the only athlete who is an idiot when it comes to managing their blown fortunes.

That better be some good stuff he's smoking... :smokin:

Idiot? Some people are claiming that Ricky Williams would be a genius if he were to pull this thing off! Check out this story.

But if he does, where might he resurface? I'd say the Cardinals are the leading candidate - first off, they don't have a marquee running back (or won't once Emmitt Smith retires, probably following this season) and second off, Arizona has a medical marijuana law, and remember that Ricky claims he smokes the stuff because it helps him with his Social Anxiety Disorder better than the prescribed medication he had been taking (Paxil) was.

Last edited by Anthony; 09-26-2004 at 03:33 AM.
Old 09-26-2004, 01:15 PM   #8
Habs Fan
Gary Bettman Must Go

Anthony .... all I can say is I hope not. The guy's a jerk. He has no loyalty to anyone but himself. He should never be resigned by anyone.

Old 09-28-2004, 06:57 AM   #9
Anthony

Oops, I forgot ... California has a medical marijuana law too, so maybe he'll sign with the Raiders like a lot of people here thought he would do even without taking this into consideration.