Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 11-13-2005, 08:20 PM   #1
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough
Default Notre Dame's Ranking is a JOKE

What has Notre Dame done this year to warrant a number 6 ranking in the AP poll, or a 7 in the Coache's? Ridiculous! They are the highest ranked 2 loss team and are ranked higher than one loss Virginia Tech and Alabama. This could only happen to Notre Dame...if they ever go undefeated again the entire college football media is gonna all meet up at a bar, pull their pants down and [Message Deleted by Me before I get carried away...]
Old 11-13-2005, 08:47 PM   #2
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Pimpbot is on a distinguished road

A solid year and one of those losses was in the last second against the two time defending champs who happen to be clear number one in the polls, maybe.

I didn't hear you complaining when 1 loss Miami were ahead of perfect Alabama in the polls last week.
Old 11-14-2005, 01:14 AM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

The human polls love Notre Dame as well as the SEC and hate the Big Ten. The computers generally help matters out when determing the BCS though (they take SOS into consideration). I've noticed this trend for awhile, but this says it all...

For week of November 6th-12 in BCS

First number is average human poll ranking, second number is average computer poll ranking...

-Minnesota...30th/19th
-Michigan...22nd/16th
-Wisconsin...19th/9th
-Ohio State...10th/7th
-Penn State...6th/3rd

Of the 5 Big Ten teams in the BCS Top 25, the total difference between the human polls and computer polls was 33 spots (on the side of computer love).

-Auburn...16th/NR (I'll give 'em a #26 spot in generosity)
-Florida...13th/17th
-Georgia...9th/12th
-LSU...5th/13th
-Alabama...4th/4th

Of the 5 SEC teams in the BCS Top 25, the total difference between the human polls and computer polls was 25 spots (on the side of human love).

Notre Dame's average human poll ranking in the BCS was 7th while their average computer poll ranking was 18th. That's larger than any other SEC team, so it's safe to say ND is getting some extra love if they are topping God's conference. We have to see SOS at the end of the year though to make the case against ND. Pitt is playing better, Michigan is doing much better, MSU...ugh...still could finish 6-5...Southern Cal is Southern Cal, Tennessee will finish 6-5, and so on. Yeah, not as tough as expected in August and not as tough as we have come to known from ND, but consider Sagarin's new SOS rankings as of November 13th (after yesterday's games)...

1. Northwestern-Big Ten
2. Michigan-Big Ten
3. North Carolina-ACC
4. Ohio State-Big Ten
5. Purdue-Big Ten
6. Illinois-Big Ten
7. Notre Dame-Ind.
8. Penn State-Big Ten
9. Minnesota-Big Ten
10. Stanford-Pac Ten
11. Indiana-Big Ten

Considering this list is dominated by the Big Ten, if you are going to finish 9-2 in that conference in a year like this (Sagarin has the Big Ten #1 and the SEC #5), you deserve a high ranking.

BTW...

SOS as of Nov. 13th...

Southern Cal...24th
Texas............37th
Alabama.........78th
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 05:14 PM   #4
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Richard the Lionheart will become famous soon enoughRichard the Lionheart will become famous soon enough

You didn't hear me complaining, but I was, believe me. I think any undefeated big conference school should have preference to one that is not this late in the season.
Old 11-16-2005, 12:13 AM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Ricky, check this out: https://www.sports-central.org/sport...advertised.php

It was posted on SC and got linked to on all these ND sites. Check out the comments. Apparently, people believe they deserve the ranking...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:34 AM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

You have to put SOS in the equation Ricky. Just because a team from a "big conference" was undefeated this late doesn't mean they are better than every one-loss team out there.

Northwestern's opponents are a combined 63-46 right now. They have the #1 SOS in the country. Their opponents average SOS is #23. The people they play also play other people!

Alabama's opponents are a combined 52-49 right now. They have the #78 SOS in the country. Their opponents average SOS is #58. The people they play also don't play other people!

IF NW had one or even two losses right now and Bama had zero, I'd still have the Cats over them. Sagarin actually has NW #23 with 4 losses ranked higher than Bama at #24 with 1 loss.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 01:18 PM   #7
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc
Ricky, check this out: https://www.sports-central.org/sport...advertised.php

It was posted on SC and got linked to on all these ND sites. Check out the comments. Apparently, people believe they deserve the ranking...
Notre Dame fans believe they deserve their ranking?!!? WHOOPIE! That's not really suprising, and I don't know what it proves.

Buckeye, its just a philosophy of mine in college football that undefeated should be respected. If you havn't lost, no one can legitimately argue that you are a worse team than someone that has. That's my opinion.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:42 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky the Kid
Notre Dame fans believe they deserve their ranking?!!? WHOOPIE! That's not really suprising, and I don't know what it proves.
It shows you their view so you can at least what the other side is arguing.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:05 PM   #9
Gohawks
All-Star Player

Gohawks is on a distinguished road

Notre Dame fans have to be some of the must stuck up fans in college football..... They would probaly believe they deserve to be in the top 5 with there attitude. Then again all fan bases have there stuck up fans but for me the top three are Iowa State( just plain idiots who believe they are god's gift to football.YEA RIGHT), Notre Dame, and last but not least Nebraska.
Old 11-16-2005, 10:32 PM   #10
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...bag/index.html

Mandel makes some good points. But I'm just a stuck up Irish fan.
Old 11-17-2005, 11:21 AM   #11
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I was about to cite that article too, even though I'm a Notre Dame - hater. Mandel breaks it down pretty well.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2005, 08:39 PM   #12
Richard the Lionheart
Krenzel/Owen Wilson 2008

This gives me another reason to want to beat Michigan this week. Thats reason number 10 thousand, but I really want Ohio State to play Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl. Although I'm sure whoever plays Notre Dame in the Fiesta will crush them.
Old 11-19-2005, 09:56 AM   #13
Bevofan4473
Rookie Player

Bevofan4473 is on a distinguished road

Your right notre dame is getting love just because of who they are r, the fact that they almost beat usc says usc is beatable not that notre dame is that good. Go Texas Longhorns.

Last edited by Bevofan4473; 11-19-2005 at 08:46 PM.
Bevofan4473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 06:42 PM   #14
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

that article makes general OSU fans look like a bunch of whiners.

It makes me glad that the contingency here is generally knowledgable.

Last edited by El Jefe; 11-19-2005 at 06:50 PM.
El Jefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2005, 11:45 PM   #15
Pimpbot
U.K. Expat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevofan4473
Your right notre dame is getting love just because of who they are r, the fact that they almost beat usc says usc is beatable not that notre dame is that good. Go Texas Longhorns.
An unbiased view from a longhorn fan. I love how I'm seeing all this trash talking from the Horn fans after years of living in the shadows of the Sooners. We'll see how good Texas is when they actually have to play someone a little tougher than their current powder puff scheduled opponents.