Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Closed Thread

Old 10-02-2006, 01:10 AM   #1
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough
Default October -- Thoughts of the Day

Playoffs are here.
AL -- Detroit vs New York, Oakland vs Minnesota
NL -- Los Angeles vs New York, St. Louis vs San Diego
My predictions
New York over Detroit, Minnesota over Oakland. LA over the Mets, San Diego over the Cardinals.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:32 AM   #2
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The Yankees' loss on Sunday means that no major-league team managed even a .600 winning percentage this season - the second time in the new millennium this has happened (it also occurred in 2000).

So much for baseball's alleged lack of competitive balance.

Last edited by Anthony; 10-02-2006 at 03:47 AM.
Old 10-02-2006, 03:40 AM   #3
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
New York over Detroit, Minnesota over Oakland. LA over the Mets, San Diego over the Cardinals.
I agree. Detroit just sort of lost their steam at the end of the season - I can't see them winning in 5.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:47 AM   #4
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

Well at least my Atlanta Braves won their last game of the year. John Smoltz finished the season 16-9. Not bad for an old man.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:47 PM   #5
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Dave over at U.S.S. Mariner posted what he would do for the M's offseason if he were GM. One transaction includes trading Rafael Soriano, Jeremy Reed, and Francisco Cruceta for Manny Ramirez.

Some actually think this is a no-brainer for Boston. Some (like me) think this would be a coup for Seattle. $38m/2 year contract be damned, the Red Soxs would be fools to trade a superstar for three prospects, two with legitimate injury concerns.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:51 PM   #6
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Yankees and Mets finished the season with the best records in the A.L. and N.L., pretty cool. I agree with all of catman's picks.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
Old 10-02-2006, 07:43 PM   #7
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I also agree with catman's picks. Yankees and Dodgers probably have the easiest LDS series. The Tigers have clearly hit the wall (then again, Chicago did the same thing at the end of last season and then rebounded) and the Mets are without Pedro.

I'm praying for two AL sweeps. Anything to keep ESPN2 from televising a play off game at 1 PM on Saturday.
Old 10-02-2006, 11:14 PM   #8
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Cubs say goodnight to Dusty. Team President/CEO Andy MacPhail resigned yesterday...

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/6023508

Let the healing begin....
Old 10-03-2006, 12:11 AM   #9
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Finally they get rid of Dusty... A move that should of happened 2 seasons ago IMO. Who are the front runners for the job?
Old 10-03-2006, 12:18 AM   #10
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Good question, Steve...

I learned after the '69 meltdown to not get too involved or get my hopes up to high....
Old 10-03-2006, 12:45 AM   #11
boston_aloha
FFB #2

This was disappointing to read: I wouldn't expect it from the Twins...
Quote:
September 29, 2006 -- CARL POHLAD may be the 78th wealthiest person in America with a 2005 net worth of $2.8 billion as gauged by Forbes Magazine, but the owner of the Twins sure seems to be suffering from some serious skyscraper envy.
Why else would he tell a writer from the St. Paul Pioneer Press: "I'd rather play the Yankees [in the first round of the playoffs] because I know we can beat them?"
http://www.nypost.com/seven/09292006...rry_brooks.htm

Just close your mouth and play (or let your players play in this case) - why is that so hard for some people. The last team you wanna talk trash about is the Yankees.... geez!
Old 10-03-2006, 12:53 AM   #12
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

These rich boys are so used to speaking their mind in their Ivory Towers that they just feel insulated from saying something stupid.

I'm sure the Twins are just fuming that their owner is spoutin' off....
Old 10-03-2006, 12:55 AM   #13
boston_aloha
FFB #2

Yeah... when I give it more thought - the ways those guys have been playen ball - I doubt any "off the field" distractions will have an effect on them.
Old 10-03-2006, 01:01 AM   #14
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Agreed...

I don't think much if anything'll distract those guys focus but they're so quiet on the woofin' side of things that'll it'll probably irk the **** out of 'em to have someone else talkin' for 'em when they've made their play usually do it...
Old 10-03-2006, 03:15 AM   #15
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

As to "Uncle Carl", he is a bit too old to run a team. He really should turn over his assets to those that can.
The statement may make Gardy and the team a bit irritated, and they may just play a bit better against the A's and then the Yankees.
As to the Cubs job, I think Girardi will get it, although he isn't as clear a choice as he was a couple of weeks ago. Maybe Alou?

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
Closed Thread