Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-09-2007, 03:21 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Big East continues to dominate SEC...

South Florida 26 Auburn 23 OT. Big win for the Bulls especially when you consider how many FGs they missed on the road.

SEC vs. Big East in BCS era...

7-16

Tennesssee is 4-1 in that span so the rest of the SEC is 3-15.

Winning streak

The Big East has now won 6 straight games against the SEC.

That streak just happens to coincide with the defection of B.C., Miami and V Tech from the Big East.

When will these stats make national headlines?

buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 11:08 PM   #2
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Been saying for a while now the Big East is a better conference than people give them credit for. A load of talent. Has any team besides Syracuse lost?
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2007, 07:58 PM   #3
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
Been saying for a while now the Big East is a better conference than people give them credit for. A load of talent. Has any team besides Syracuse lost?
Syracuse makes up 4 of the 7 losses but they are good wins by the SEC cuz they all came when Cuse was on top of its game. Still, 7-16 is a horrible mark. If L'Ville beats Kentucky this Saturday it will go to 7-17 with 7 straight wins for the Big East.

If I had to rank the conferences after week #2 I'd go...

1. Pac Ten (I don't know how you could argue against 'em)
2. SEC
3. Big Twelve (strong week #2 with Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska and Mizzou gettin' the job done)
4. Big East
5. Big Ten
6. ACC

The Pac Ten has a weak non-conf plate this weekend. They have a ton of home games against lesser teams in the MWC/WAC. Their only two quality games are...

1. USC at Nebraska
2. Ohio State at Washington

I think they'll win both of 'em though.

The Big East has a solid test this weekend. 5 big games and 4 of those are on the road.

ROAD
West Virginia at Maryland (ACC)
Pitt at Michigan State (Big Ten)
L'Ville at Kentucky (SEC)
Cincy at Miami of Ohio (MAC)

HOME
Illinois (Big Ten) at Syracuse

Some good tests there. We'll know more (obviously) after this weekend.

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 09-10-2007 at 08:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:26 PM   #4
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Folks who wanted to argue against the Pac 10 would point out Cincy's 34-3 shellacking of Oregon State.

I've been of the opinion that the Big East is easily better than the ACC the last year and two weeks.

I think one of the problems with your thesis here might be about what SEC teams are losing to Big East teams. Vandy (as an example) are likely to lose. As is Miss State (WVU had them on the schedule last year and again this year). As is Kentucky.

Yes, everyone knows WVU "stunned" everyone (but me and my grandpa) in the Sugar Bowl by taking it to Georgia, but that kind of surprise win over SEC competition has been pretty rare. In general, just as is true of the SEC, Big East wins have been over teams that those Big East teams should beat. (The SEC plays outside their conference periodically, too, but they take on teams like Duke, Baylor, UNC, etc.)

I'm not defending the SEC here, btw. I'm just trying to explain why the media would ignore these numbers.
Old 09-11-2007, 11:59 AM   #5
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

They won't dominate Florida or LSU anytime in the near future.
Old 09-11-2007, 04:14 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountaineerDave View Post
Folks who wanted to argue against the Pac 10 would point out Cincy's 34-3 shellacking of Oregon State.
It's their only blemish. Arizona losing by 13 at BYU and Wash State losing by 21 at Wisconsin is perfectly acceptable IMO.

Quote:
I've been of the opinion that the Big East is easily better than the ACC the last year and two weeks.
I think you're not givin' your boys enough credit Dave. The Big East was easily the 2nd best conference last year and is clearly better than the ACC and Big Ten thru the first two weeks of this season.

Quote:
I think one of the problems with your thesis here might be about what SEC teams are losing to Big East teams. Vandy (as an example) are likely to lose. As is Miss State (WVU had them on the schedule last year and again this year). As is Kentucky.

Yes, everyone knows WVU "stunned" everyone (but me and my grandpa) in the Sugar Bowl by taking it to Georgia, but that kind of surprise win over SEC competition has been pretty rare. In general, just as is true of the SEC, Big East wins have been over teams that those Big East teams should beat. (The SEC plays outside their conference periodically, too, but they take on teams like Duke, Baylor, UNC, etc.)

I'm not defending the SEC here, btw. I'm just trying to explain why the media would ignore these numbers.
Well...here are the stats year by year.

Virginia Tech (9-3) 38 Alabama (7-5) 7 (Music City Bowl)
Florida (10-2) 31 Syracuse (8-4) 10 (Gainesville)
Tennessee (13-0) 34 Syracuse (8-4) 33 (Syracuse)

Syracuse (7-5) 20 Kentucky (6-6) 13 (Music City Bowl)

2000 West Virginia (7-5) 49 Ole Miss (7-5) 38 (Music City Bowl)

Syracuse 31 (10-3) Auburn (7-5) 14 (Syracuse)
Tennessee (11-2) 33 Syracuse (10-3) 9 (Knoxville)
Miami (12-0) 37 Florida (10-2) 20 (Sugar Bowl)
Boston College (8-4) 20 Georgia (8-4) 16 (Music City Bowl)

Auburn (9-3) 37 Syracuse (4-8) 34 (Auburn)
Miami (12-1) 41 Florida (8-5) 16 (Gainesville)
Virginia Tech (10-4) 26 LSU (8-5) 8 (Blacksburg)
South Carolina (5-7) 42 Temple (4-8) 21 (Columbia)
Miami (12-1) 26 Tennessee (8-5) 3 (Knoxville)
Tennessee (8-5) 35 Rutgers (1-11) 14 (Knoxville)

Miami (11-2) 38 Florida (8-5) 33 (Miami)
Tennessee (10-3) 10 Miami (11-2) 6 (Miami)

DEFECTION

Rutgers (4-7) 37 Vanderbilt (2-9) 34 (Nashville)

Louisville (9-3) 31 Kentucky (3-8) 24 (Lexington)
West Virginia (11-1) 38 Georgia (10-3) 35 (Sugar Bowl)

Louisville (12-1) 59 Kentucky (8-5) 28 (Louisville)
West Virginia (11-2) 42 Miss. State (3-9) 14 (Starkville)

South Florida 26 Auburn 23 (Auburn)

Since the defection you have got some teeth there Dave. Rutgers beat Vandy in Dixie when both were equally horrid. The WVU - Georgia Sugar Bowl was conf. champ vs. conf. champ though.

L'Ville has gotten the better of Kentucky but the Cats are improved. This year's game is in Lexington. Shouldn't we see a better output by UK?

Overall, the numbers are pretty bad for the SEC. The general thought was the Big East was gonna flop after the defection but if you simply take the overall record of the teams who remained in the Big East as well as though who have joined (USF) then you get a mark of 9-5.
Old 09-11-2007, 05:14 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

As conferences overall, you may be correct. I worry about the Big East defenses, though, overall. I wouldn't have wanted WVU or Louisville to take on say, last year's OSU or Florida, or maybe even Texas.

(I probably talked a bunch of crap last season, but in retrospect, and going into this season, Big East defenses--specifically, WVU & L'ville, are frightfully bad. UofM bad.)

This year, I'd happily put WVU up against Florida, OSU, Texas. But, I'd be worried about taking on USC, LSU and Oklahoma.

Whoa. Something just occurred to me: Is Bo Pellini going to be interested in a move to Ann Arbor? Or will he take over LSU when Les Miles goes to UofM?
Old 09-11-2007, 05:24 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
As conferences overall, you may be correct. I worry about the Big East defenses, though, overall. I wouldn't have wanted WVU or Louisville to take on say, last year's OSU or Florida, or maybe even Texas.

(I probably talked a bunch of crap last season, but in retrospect, and going into this season, Big East defenses--specifically, WVU & L'ville, are frightfully bad. UofM bad.)

This year, I'd happily put WVU up against Florida, OSU, Texas. But, I'd be worried about taking on USC, LSU and Oklahoma.

Whoa. Something just occurred to me: Is Bo Pellini going to be interested in a move to Ann Arbor? Or will he take over LSU when Les Miles goes to UofM?
I don't understand why Pellini isn't the guy for the job in Ann Arbor. I just posted a thread about this. I'm probably bias though.

Everyone seems to be concerned with the defenses in the Big East and I suppose there is concern with WVU and L'Ville givn' up so many points thru 2 weeks. Rutgers gave up 17 to Navy after blankin' 'em last year.

I don't know...I think they'll come around. Cincy's performance was dominating and Kelly is allegedly an "offensive" coach. Though the competition has been weak, UConn's D has done a good job.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:21 PM   #9
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama4256 View Post
They won't dominate Florida or LSU anytime in the near future.
I dunno about LSU, but I wouldn't say that about UF up there just yet. Not until after this weekend when we see how the rebuilt defense copes against a real offense. WVU and Louisville might put up 50 on UF.

And think of this. Auburn has been one of the SEC's top teams the last several years. For South Florida to go into their house and beat them speaks volumes about how the conferences are beginning to come closer talent wise.

(as the SEC fans here go off on me )
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 03:07 AM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

If SEC fans were to start going off on you, Mike, you could write them off as mouth-breathing rednecks, because all you've done is point to truth.

It is fair to say that this Auburn team is not the solid Auburn team of two or three years ago, but they're similarly fast, tough. Crappier QB, much crappier running back, but overall similar to past Tigers teams. South Florida won by only three, but coulda/shoulda won by nine or twelve, had they hit an FG or three.

I'd be willing to buy WVU or L'ville putting 50 on the board v the Gators, but I don't know if either could keep the Gators from scoring their own 50. After seeing MTSU rip L'ville's defense to shreds for 30 minutes, I doubt that they can go undefeated until the WVU game. In WVU's defense, seven of Marshall's points should have been disallowed, because that first TD was off a pass thrown over the line of scrimmage. It wasn't even close, but it was missed anyway.

I think Coach Rod didn't complain because he knew the second half was going to be different.
I know I was complaining, though. It was the first time my 4.5month old got to hear me go off during a football game. He cried. I felt guilty.

The middle and lower tier teams of conferences have been getting closer for some time, imo. I still think there's a vast difference between Southern Cal, LSU and Oklahoma and, say, WVU, BC and Ohio State. This year, that is.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:45 AM   #11
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dublin Mike View Post
I dunno about LSU, but I wouldn't say that about UF up there just yet. Not until after this weekend when we see how the rebuilt defense copes against a real offense. WVU and Louisville might put up 50 on UF.

And think of this. Auburn has been one of the SEC's top teams the last several years. For South Florida to go into their house and beat them speaks volumes about how the conferences are beginning to come closer talent wise.

(as the SEC fans here go off on me )
Mike, I agree with you and Dave (?????) I thought all last week before the game that they could give Auburn a run for their money, and was actually excited that they won the game (USF is my husband's alma mater, btw). Imagine that, me not blindly rooting for an SEC team.....

Oh, and I wholeheartedly agree that WVU & Louisville could put up 50+ points vs this year's UF defense - that is the only thing that scares me about Saturday's game against UT - Ainge > WKU & Troy's QB's.
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 09:56 AM   #12
suedon1970
Sports Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
DEFECTION

Rutgers (4-7) 37 Vanderbilt (2-9) 34 (Nashville)

Louisville (9-3) 31 Kentucky (3-8) 24 (Lexington)
West Virginia (11-1) 38 Georgia (10-3) 35 (Sugar Bowl)

Louisville (12-1) 59 Kentucky (8-5) 28 (Louisville)
West Virginia (11-2) 42 Miss. State (3-9) 14 (Starkville)

South Florida 26 Auburn 23 (Auburn)
With all due respect Buckeye, these games listed above don't really help your argument (with the exception of the 2005 WVU/Georgia bowl game and the USF/Auburn game last week). You are essentially comparing the best of the Big East in games vs the middle to worst of the SEC. How does that prove anything? Now, show me Louisville or WVU beating Florida, UT, or LSU, then we'll see. But I'll be the first to admit that the Big East overall is on the rise.....
Old 09-12-2007, 11:12 AM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970 View Post
With all due respect Buckeye, these games listed above don't really help your argument (with the exception of the 2005 WVU/Georgia bowl game and the USF/Auburn game last week). You are essentially comparing the best of the Big East in games vs the middle to worst of the SEC. How does that prove anything? Now, show me Louisville or WVU beating Florida, UT, or LSU, then we'll see. But I'll be the first to admit that the Big East overall is on the rise.....
Yeah, post-defection is a little lean with top vs. top or middle vs. middle or whatever.

Still, 6-0 and 9-5 with current teams in BCS era. We'll see what happens with Kentucky and L'Ville this Saturday and then place it after the season ends.

But then we go back to bowl deals and the SEC and Big East don't have a contract in place for one right now.

So then we go to regular season games and who folks like to schedule.

Oh no...here we go again.

:lol:

The SEC phone to Lincoln, Columbus, Norman or Ann Arbor has never rung so I doubt the line to Morgantown or Louisville has either.

Just a hunch.
Old 09-12-2007, 01:40 PM   #14
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

This is definitely a down year for Auburn. Didn't they lose RB Brad Lester for the season? Academic or something else?
Old 09-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #15
suedon1970
Sports Chick

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
The SEC phone to Lincoln, Columbus, Norman or Ann Arbor has never rung so I doubt the line to Morgantown or Louisville has either.

Just a hunch.
True, but I believe the phone line runs both ways....