Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 12-05-2007, 09:33 PM   #1
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough
Default Jim Delany quotes...

The best of the best quotes from the greatest man in the world of college football: Big Ten commish Jim Delany on playoffs/the BCS/college football in general.

DELANY

"If the public walks away from our games during the regular season and walks away from television during the regular season and walks away from the bowls, they're saying, We won't support this anymore. We want something else.' But I don't see them walking away from anything."

"It's a matter of independence and control is what it is."

"I work for the presidents, and I work with everyone else."

" (the BCS) Was not a first step toward a playoff but a last step."

"People beg us to play football games on Thursday nights. We don't play on Thursday. We play on Saturday. That's part of our tradition."

What a swell guy. :thumbsup2:
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 10:52 PM   #2
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

If the public walks away from our games during the regular season and walks away from television during the regular season and walks away from the bowls, they're saying, We won't support this anymore. We want something else.' But I don't see them walking away from anything."

Far and away the best and the Biggest STFU to playoff supporters.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2007, 11:01 PM   #3
Alex
#1 Student Section

Alex will become famous soon enough

I'm not the biggest Delaney fan but I'm glad he's never given into the Thursday night games. That is one of the few things that makes me happy about Penn State being in the Big Ten.
Old 12-06-2007, 07:41 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I'll always be a mixed man on Delany.

He went along with Roy Kramer and helped carve out the BCS (only to secure the Big Ten-Pac Ten alliance and make sure the SEC didn't F it up beyone what it is now). I disagree that simply increasing overall revenue for the rest of the nation so that our revenue would increase (he put together the TV deals and secondary bowls as well, plus added PSU) was the best way to go as well.

He should have maintained the competitive advantage we (Pac Ten/Big Ten) had over the other conferences. Since he didn't do it, he should be at least making sure other conferences don't overtake us in revenue (the SEC has).
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote