Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 09-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default College Athletes Overworked and Exploited?

Quote:
Michigan coach Rich Rodriguez has enough to deal with on the field. The Wolverines were an embarrassing 3-9 last season, including a home loss to Toledo. In advance of the 2009 season opener this weekend, the last thing Rodriguez needed was a huge distraction.

That's what he got, anyway. Rodriguez spent close to 15 minutes of his press conference Monday -- one designed initially to talk about the game Saturday against Western Michigan -- defending himself and his staff against allegations of wrongdoing brought up by current and former players.

"I want to tell everybody that I'm proud of the way our players have worked," Rodriguez said. "The last seven, eight months, they've given a tremendous commitment to this university."

Rodriguez said multiple times that his program was clean, that they "know the rules and comply by the rules."

Several current and former players disagree, accusing Rodriguez of requiring more work of them than is allowed by the NCAA. It's a case that could be difficult to prove, especially if other players come out and say that the requirements in terms of time spent at the football complex don't go beyond the limits.

Rodriguez was emphatic numerous times in defending strength and conditioning director Mike Barwis, saying he is "a great asset to the university." Speaking of his staff, Rodriguez says they would "do anything our players want them to do to help them achieve their goals."
Emotional Rich Rodriguez Defends Himself Against Allegations -- NCAA Football FanHouse

If it's true, I'm sure Michigan isn't the only program guilty of overworking players beyond what the NCAA allows...
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

I read a follow-up article that I thought made more sense than a story that comes from an anonymous source.

Basically it talks from the players perspective of how every good team uses the maximum amount of hours they can to practice. But then those players go and work themselves even harder in the gym and on the field, voluntarily. These players said that if you want to be a good player on a good team, you need to do this. Everybody does the extra work.
Old 09-08-2009, 10:14 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I think that's true, Jay, but the issue is are schools knowingly and purposely violating NCAA rules?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:18 PM   #4
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhuerbin88 View Post
I read a follow-up article that I thought made more sense than a story that comes from an anonymous source.

Basically it talks from the players perspective of how every good team uses the maximum amount of hours they can to practice. But then those players go and work themselves even harder in the gym and on the field, voluntarily. These players said that if you want to be a good player on a good team, you need to do this. Everybody does the extra work.
I don't think this was the Michigan situation, though. The original article had anonymous sources in part, but I think the main thing they relied on was interviews with current players, not anonymous, that they paper article then took and connected with the rules to draw lines saying that Rodriguez was violating the rules.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2009, 11:27 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

I seriously doubt Michigan is the only school that pushes the envelope when it comes to this regulation my guess is Rodriguez pissed off the wrong player(s) and/or booster(s).
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote