Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Super Bowl: Steelers vs. Packers

Great matchup, the two teams played a great game last year. Two big fanbases, two really good QBs and defense. Of course I'm picking my team, who won in Chicago despite Aaron Rodgers throwing 2 INTs. Packers 27, Steelers 23.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 11:39 AM   #2
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

I don't really care for either of these two teams. Being a Lions fan, explains why the Packers are disgusting to me. The Steelers, for some reason always gets the calls their way.

I don't see this as a matter of who will win, it is a matter of who the NFL wants to win.
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 08:03 AM   #3
Jack Knoff
Grizzled Veteran

Jack Knoff will become famous soon enough

'Defense wins championships' rings true when we see the two teams who have made it to the ultimate game this season.

Pitty and GB rank #1 and #2 in the league in points allowed.

But looking closer, Pittsburgh did much better than GB in yards allowed.

Both teams are on a roll, obviously, but the Steelers have won 8 of their last 9 - and I'm thinking they make it 9 of 10.

Pittsburgh - 20
Green Bay - 17
Jack Knoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 02:19 AM   #4
DETMURDS
Detroit Native!

DETMURDS has a little shameless behavior in the past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Knoff View Post
'Defense wins championships' rings true when we see the two teams who have made it to the ultimate game this season.

Pitty and GB rank #1 and #2 in the league in points allowed.

But looking closer, Pittsburgh did much better than GB in yards allowed.

Both teams are on a roll, obviously, but the Steelers have won 8 of their last 9 - and I'm thinking they make it 9 of 10.

Pittsburgh - 20
Green Bay - 17
I think the Steelers will win this game in most every way. I just hope the officiating is not as bad as when they played the Seahawks in Detroit.
DETMURDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:49 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Getting excited, hosting a party ... gotta find those Coors Light Home Brew kits. :lol:

Packers are the team of destiny this year ... face reality!
Old 02-04-2011, 04:08 AM   #6
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Cool Anthony's Super Bowl Pick

Last time I do this in 2010 (at least 2010 in the football sense anyway).

Hopefully I'll have to do it two more times every year from now on!

Last week: 1-1. Postseason totals: 7-3, Pct. .700. Best Bets: 2-1, Pct. .667.

Are "Better Record Underdogs" in the Super Bowl going the way of "Dual Qualifiers" in the Kentucky Derby?

For those unfamiliar with the latter, a "dual qualifier" is a horse that both has a Dosage Index (a coefficient denoting the ratio of speed to stamina influences in a horse's pedigree) not above 4.00, and was weighted within 10 pounds of the horse assigned the highest weight in the Experimental Free Handicap of the previous year's two-year-olds (in most years this meant that the horse was among the top 15 to 20 two-year-olds in the country). Throughout the 1970s, '80s and most of the '90s, virtually every Derby winner was in fact a dual qualifier - but since then the trend has reversed, and how: None of the 13 most recent winners of the race have been dual qualifiers.

Similarly - and starting at essentially the same time, in this case, the NFL-AFL merger in 1970 - teams that finished with a better regular-season record than their opponents, yet were nonetheless installed as underdogs in the Super Bowl, were once a perfect 6-0 against the spread (and 5-1 straight up), before the last two such teams lost and non-covered (the Seahawks in Super Bowl XL and the Bears in Super Bowl XLI).

Is the same thing occurring on the gridiron as at the racetrack?

Not if AP Defensive Player of the Year Troy Polamalu has anything to say about it: In 2009 and '10 combined, including postseason, Pittsburgh is 17-4 (straight up) and has allowed 15 points per game when Polamalu has been healthy and therefore has started, compared with 6-7 and nearly 22 points per game given up when he has been injured and has not.

As far as everyone knows, Polamalu will be in the lineup at Cowboys Stadium Sunday.

With a move to an 18-game regular season presumably on the horizon, it is likely that there will no longer be an idle week between the conference championship games and the Super Bowl once the longer schedule does take effect (quite possibly not in time for next season), if for no other reason than to prevent the NCAA from suing the NFL over the "March Madness" trademark (of course being a bit facetious here). With this in mind, the Packers may live to wish that this year had 18 regular-season games - since the extra week of grinding media hype cannot help but favor the team with the more recent and more frequent Super Bowl experience - and it ain't them.

Therefore, I'm looking for Green Bay to make one or two deer-in-the-headlights mistakes - and for the Steelers in general, and quite possibly the repeatedly-aforementioned Troy Polamalu in particular, to capitalize when they do.

So let's call it:

Pittsburgh 23 (+2), Green Bay 17

And Polamalu gets my selection as the game's MVP. Why not?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:22 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Steelers 19 Packers 16
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:02 AM   #8
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

TOs...

Too evenly matched for them not to be the deciding factor.

Guess at least all those Packer fans I work with will be easier to work with Monday.

No, wait....

I take that back....
Old 02-07-2011, 03:57 PM   #9
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Can't give up 21 points off 3 turnover and expect to win the game. I'm surprised it was even close to be honest.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:15 PM   #10
Dano
Everybody Wang Chung...

Dano will become famous soon enough

Where in the hell were Polamalu & Harrison? And not playing for field position and going to the long FG in the 3rd quarter was a huge momentum change. The series before that the Steeler's had their foot on Rodgers throat.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:02 PM   #11
jhuerbin88
Sports guy

jhuerbin88 is on a distinguished road

Yeah. That 52-yard attempt is ridiculous. The Steelers had all of the momentum after scoring to make it 21-17. That Mendenhall fumble changed everything.

I don't know who, if any team, you were rooting for last night, Dano, but it's been a while since Pittsburgh was this depressed on a Monday. The dreary, rainy day didn't help either.
Old 02-08-2011, 04:30 AM   #12
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarkus View Post
TOs...

Too evenly matched for them not to be the deciding factor.

Guess at least all those Packer fans I work with will be easier to work with Monday.

No, wait....

I take that back....
When you live halfway between Pittsburgh and Cleveland it gets pretty pathetic hearing Steeler fans resort to telling Browns fans that atleast they're better than them and Cleveland fans picking on the Steeler fans for losing a Super Bowl when the Browns haven't been to one.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 08:36 PM   #13
Marc
Administrator

GREEN AND YELLOW!!!

How about some dap for the champs? They were clearly the better team ... Aaron Rodgers played nearly perfect. And this is a team without its starting RB and stud TE. I'm so proud of them. I kept yelling, "Ben! She said no!" during the game to taunt my Steeler fan girlfriend.

Finally, the Lombardi trophy is back where it belongs, Titletown...
Old 02-09-2011, 03:30 AM   #14
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

The Packers did it the hard way this year, winning it all from the sixth seed; next year they figure to get a chance to do it the easy way: With Ryan Grant and Jermichael Finley returning, Green Bay is the overwhelming favorite to land the top seed in the NFC. About the only thing that can stop them from repeating is a lockout.

And considering how young this team is, we could be talkin' dynasty here.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote