Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Couch or Holcomb
Couch 4 36.36%
Holcomb 7 63.64%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-18-2003, 01:39 PM   #1
Zakdady
Banned

Zakdady is on a distinguished road
Default Why i'd choose Couch over Holcomb.

I know that everyone is jumping on the Kelly Holcomb bandwagon but hold on a second. I know Holcomb had a decent few games last season. I know that Couch has been said to underachieve. How is Couch underachieving though? His first few seasons have been with a terrible team so i don't think you can blame him for that. Couch has more experience and has shown that he's not a one hit wonder. i am in no way calling Kelly Holcomb that, but until he proves me wrong i'm behind Couch.
Zakdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 02:13 PM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Well, I just posted how I felt about Holcomb in another thread, but I will speak my peace on this thread as well. I think Holcomb attacks opposing defenses much more effectively than does Couch. I think Holcomb has better deep pass touch, and throws the long ball much more than Couch does. With Holcomb attacking the defense the way he does, that should open up the running game for William Green. I think William Green will gain 200 more yards with Holcomb at Qb than he would if Couch was Qb.

Couch is a so-so quarterback, who does not really attack a defense vertically at all times. I think Couch can be a solid Qb, but I don't blame Butch Davis for putting his team in a better situation to win games. And Cleveland's best chance at winning games and actually making it to the playoffs is if Kelly Holcomb starts. I am so glad that Davis made the choice of the better quarterback than the choice of the guy with less talent but who is getting paid 5 million dollars more this season.

That Cleveland offense will be on all cylinders if Holcomb stays healthy, and watch for Holcomb to be one of the leading passers in the AFC this upcoming season.

Opposing defenses would much rather have Couch start at Qb because he is more predictable. Holcomb can throw any pass, and Holcomb takes risks down the field with the tough passes as well. I just love a quarterback that goes out there and lays it all on the line by throwing passes vertically and challenging the defense with virutally every snap, and that is what Kelly Holcomb does.

Joey
Old 08-18-2003, 04:35 PM   #3
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

I'd be worried about Holcomb's health, and I'd be in NO HURRY to get rid of Couch's expensive paycheck. They're going to need a backup who can be trusted to run the offense. Maybe Couch isn't as efficient with it, but he's gotta be better that Josh Booty (nothing against Booty, but he's a third/fouth option for a reason).

Dave
Old 08-18-2003, 06:05 PM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Zak, my feelings are simple: Even though they were in a limited number of games, you just can't bench the guy who put up the staggering QB rating that Holcomb did last year. 'Taint right.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 07:10 PM   #5
Zakdady
Banned

Zakdady is on a distinguished road

You just proved my point kevinbeane, he only played in a limited number of games, which doesn't prove that he can play for an entire season.
Zakdady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 07:24 PM   #6
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I will continue to bang this drum: Holcomb CAN'T play an entire season. Didn't the Browns have Spurgeon start a game because Couch was out with his concussion and Holcomb snapped his leg in relief. (Granted, his gutting it out and bringing the Browns to a floater of coming back in what would have been a great comeback--as it was, it was the best comeback I saw all year last year, and guttiest performance by a backup I saw, too).

The other argument, however, Kevin, would be that the Browns can't afford NOT to have Couch start. Not only is Couch the bigger paycheck, but he has the greater long-term upside as trade-bait. Holcomb's already eclipsed 30. Couch has four or five years before hitting that milestone. A team willing to trade for a QB would note that and quite possibly believe that they can "fix" Couch's problems.

Dave
Old 08-18-2003, 11:16 PM   #7
jman1627
Rookie Player

jman1627 is on a distinguished road
Default def kelley holcomb

From what i have heard Couch has been a big ? in the clubhouse with being a team player and he is making WAY to much money i think they should trade him. Also Holcomb is known to be a team player
jman1627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2003, 11:35 PM   #8
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

A couple points here. One, Holcomb has a career 1-3 record, so let's not all consider him a big winner and Couch a big loser. I'm a Couch homer because of his roots and I saw him play before anyone knew him outside of Kentucky, but he is four years younger and went through all the struggles of an expansion team, and now he is rewarded with getting benched.

My bet is that Holcomb loses the starting job this season, either to injury or slump. I just don't think Couch has been given a fair shake. Holcomb had one great game and now he's a franchise QB? Please. Couch never had a running game, even though he does now in William Green, nor good receivers, but the Browns now have lots of weapons in Quincy Morgan, Kevin Johnson, and Dennis Northcutt. So it'll be a shame if he is kicked out the door, but I don't know if he can ever win fans back.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 12:30 AM   #9
redsox
Grizzled Veteran

redsox is on a distinguished road
Default holcombe is the choice

the browns chose holcombe as their quarterback meaning tim couch is the backup. he said its just a minor setback and he'll play well in the nfl as a starter. so far he's had a disappointing career but i think he has potential. i don't think holcombe will do well starting and couch will be back as the starter before the season's out, but obviously holcombe proved himself at camp and not just in the game against the steelers last year. we'll just have to wait and see though.
redsox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 06:59 AM   #10
Jamie L
Grizzled Veteran

Jamie L is on a distinguished road

Couch, IMO is far superior to Holcomb.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:26 AM   #11
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

I think the Browns made a good choice. Couch has had a couple of years now and he's not really showing he's able to move the chains.

Holcomb has shown that.... I just wonder if they'll cut Couch and his huge salary.

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 11:26 AM   #12
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

I'm not trying to bash Couch here....but Holcomb has been eye-popping numbers in two or three, not just one, games last year, and again, if you lower the minimum attempts bar, he led the NFL in QB rating...As a recently transplanted Northeast Ohioan, the attitude there is....when is Couch going to become BIG? The kind of player that justifies his pick ahead of McNabb, et al? He has come off as an average QB, brittle, and likely to lead you to an 8-8 season. Then we have this backup who goes in every time Couch gets hurt and throws for 400 yards and 5 touchdowns. ANd it's not just the fans; as we see now, it's the coaches too, who have needed exactly one year to put the browns over the playoff hump. So they know a thing or two.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 02:58 PM   #13
Aristides
All-Star Player

Aristides is on a distinguished road

All this talk about being Holcomb being injury prone........how did he get his chance? Ah thats right, Couch gets hurt just as often as any other injury-prone player. Give Holcomb the chance that he deserves. Couch has had his chance for several years now to show what he can do but he doesn't seem to be going foward. He doesn't get rid of the ball in the pocket when the pressure is on and his confidence is at almost at a big fat zero. All the recievers love the way Holcomb stays in the pocket and puts the passes where they should be and not in a spot to where they have to have go go gadget arms and take a huge hit from a big safety.

The Browns staff isn't dumb, if they think Holcomb can lead the team better then why in the hell would you start Couch? If he fails you can always give the spot back to Couch. If he succeds and keeps up witht he pace he did last year.......well then you have a potential Pro Bowl QB.
Aristides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2003, 03:05 PM   #14
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

I don't think the Browns will be in a rush to get rid of Couch. For one, they have no viable substitute when Holcomb gets injured and has to sit out six games. Two, they can't just cut him, not right now, considering their cap -- they've probably just announced his being cut as I type this-- situation. They'll likely try to trade him, but I wouldn't expect Couch to move before next offseason.

Dave
Old 08-19-2003, 03:11 PM   #15
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

It is noteworthy that according to Jamir Miller, former LB of the Browns, Holcomb was the locker room favorite, but not by an overwhelming margin. (source: interview on Rick Ballou show on Sporting News Radio last Friday night)

So, that may have played a factor. Holcomb performed well in training camp/two preseason games, which clinched what seems to me to have been an already made decision.

Dave