Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 01-26-2004, 11:39 AM   #1
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough
Default Rockets Work to Fix Yao's Playing Style

Rockets Work to Fix Yao's Playing Style

Fri Jan 23, 8:49 AM ET

By MICHAEL A. LUTZ, AP Sports Writer

HOUSTON - The Houston Rockets (news) are trying to help Yao Ming change his playing style. China's 7-foot-6 gentle giant has been slow to adapt to the rim-clanging, in-your-face play of the NBA. He's a big man with finesse, and the Rockets would like him to be more of an aggressive force.

In his second season with the Rockets, Yao is running a close second to Shaquille O'Neal in the balloting for starting All-Star center for the Western Conference, but he's still trying to overcome the no-contact style of play he learned from years of playing international basketball.

"It's not something you snap your fingers and it happens I just wish we could do that," Rockets general manager Carroll Dawson said. "It's just the way the game is played here. Even college players from the U.S. have to make the adjustment. Until you get hit, you don't understand that."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...bkn_gentle_yao

Yao had a career-high the other night, but is he ever doing to be an MVP-dominant/caliber player? The culture difference might be stopping him from reaching his full potential. It's so different in China where you are taught to respect your opponent, etc. Compare that to the trash-talking streetball American players often grow up with. Thoughts?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2004, 05:29 PM   #2
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

Lucky for him, he will have no big men to compete with. He wont have to batte Jabbar, Ewing, Hakeem, or even Shaq (in 3 or 4 years that is). He is seven years younger than Duncan, And with no real big men on the horizion, (Okafor will be great, but he is only 6'9, and Dwight Howard is more of a Garnett type player), it looks pretty good for Yao.
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 05:29 AM   #3
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Rookie, Chris Kaman is supposed to be a good quality center in the future but i'm sure he'll ever compete with yao. But Kaman has some talent and some good foot worrk. He still needs to work on his dicision making. I get sick of it when i see him drive to the basket like a guard because the ball ends up getting kicked or stolen or he commits an offencive foul, but when Kaman gets used to the league and adds upper body straingth, this guy will be a stud.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2004, 02:46 PM   #4
edgar109
U-C-O-N-N

edgar109 is on a distinguished road

Chris Kaman=Chris Mihm=Greg Osterag=Travis Knight=Jake Voskuhl=Cherokee Parks
edgar109 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 05:24 PM   #5
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally posted by edgar109
Chris Kaman=Chris Mihm=Greg Osterag=Travis Knight=Jake Voskuhl=Cherokee Parks
:stupid: :werd:
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2004, 11:24 PM   #6
Clipps
The Clipper Fan

Clipps is on a distinguished road

Man, no one gives much credit to the tall, skinny, white guys. Kaman is a tall, skinny, white guy, but he's got some talent and potential.
*****pass me the bottle and fill the glass up
Clipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2004, 07:10 PM   #7
El Jefe
Philosopher of Sport

El Jefe is on a distinguished road

No big men coming up eh? Well there's Jermaine O'Neal, Pau Gasol, Eddy Curry, Darko Milicic and Nikoloz Tskitishvili. The latter two are projects, of course, but in years to come they should be effective in the league. O'Neal is an obvious force while Gasol's already shown his potential and Yao's given glimpses of his. We're not even close to seeing their full potential, imo. When Yao's shooting close to 70% from the floor, then we'll be there.

Heck, Shaq in recent years has had trouble finding a respectable foe, unless you consider Vlade Divac and Sabonis respectable competiton. I guess you could throw in Erick Dampier for this year hah.