Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 04-08-2004, 02:06 PM   #1
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Kornbix is on a distinguished road
Default The " " Rant Thread

I just wanted to make a thread where you can rant about how your team did in their last game. I did this last season with the Braves Gameday Thread, but I wanted to make one where everybody could get involved. Anyway, anybody see the slugfest in the 4th inning of the Braves game? We posted up 11 friggin runs man. Laroche, Franco, and I think somebody else got 2 hits in the inning. We won, but our pitching still sucked.
Kornbix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 05:17 PM   #2
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

My Red Sox scored seven runs last night with 2 outs recorded in the second inning, giving DLowe plenty of breathing room.

Blame Miguel Tejada. A moment of indecision on whether to throw out the man at third for out #3 or to first cost him the ability to get out the sneakily-named Pokey Reese. Ainesworth responded by getting shelled, and then Bigsbie let him down by letting a high fly ball that should have been an out (with 2 runs scored) get over his head and allow two more runs to score.

First game I've watched this year. The bats looked good, Johnny Damon had a nice game, going 5-5 with a couple RBIs and a nice play against the wall to steal a 3R homer.

Dave
Old 04-08-2004, 05:18 PM   #3
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

Freaking Mariners better sort it out

Blue Jays just got swept by the Tigers.... nuff said

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 04:52 PM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

The Twins have 3 of their 9 of their starters on the 15 day DL currently. Fortunately enough, these guys are all from the deepest positions in the organization. Hope they come back soon.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2004, 12:38 PM   #5
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

The Cubs are finally in shape to make some noise this year but as usual the Chicago medias usual whiners are already calling the slow start the beginning of the end. They were already *****in' after 3 games in, even complaining about the one win.

I wish they'd just report the news & keep some of their snide B.S. to themselves
Old 04-10-2004, 06:04 PM   #6
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

Yankees better wake up! The way they are playing now, if it keeps up till the end of April, Steinbrenner will blow his top off!
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 05:20 PM   #7
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

spike,

I'm not sure I get this whole "Yankees are struggling" thing. Sure, they're not dominating yet the way folks expected, but it doesn't really work like that.
The season's two weeks old. Yanks fans should be concerned if they continue to be the league losers in BA and not all too hot in ERA in about a month.

(I say this to ward off my own similar concerns about my Sox-- nearly everyday, I keep reminding myself: "Season's only 12 days old. Things'll straighten out.")

Dave
Old 04-12-2004, 06:18 PM   #8
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

The Royals are doing okay so far. A couple of comeback wins. Hopefully Tony Pena can keep his magic going again like he did at the start of last season. I have a feeling the AL Central is going to be a very tight race, like last season.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 07:23 PM   #9
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Maybe tighter than last year, franky, if the Tigers incredible start isn't as flukey as it looks...

The only team that may fall out of division contention early looks to be Cleveland, and I'm not sure that's a given.

Dave
Old 04-12-2004, 08:02 PM   #10
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

Damn the Braves pitching sucks except for Horacio Ramirez. I mean Hampton and Ortiz just are stinking it up and giving up about a billion homeruns every time they pitch.
Old 04-13-2004, 02:12 AM   #11
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

What a tough weekend for Toronto...playing in Fenway and facing Pedro on Saturday then Schilling on Sunday. A 1-5 start isn't exactly what I was expecting, but hopefully they can bring the Tigers down to reality and gain some early ground.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 02:26 PM   #12
Kornbix
Super Bowl or bust

We lost 10-6 but almost came back we had bases loaded but Andruw just had to ground into a double play.
Old 04-13-2004, 03:17 PM   #13
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

You're so positive there Kornbix. It is the first week of the season...
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2004, 03:40 PM   #14
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
What a tough weekend for Toronto...playing in Fenway and facing Pedro on Saturday then Schilling on Sunday. A 1-5 start isn't exactly what I was expecting, but hopefully they can bring the Tigers down to reality and gain some early ground.
The Pedro game was classic. Halladay looked pretty solid (not midseason form, though), just happened that Pedro was that much better that day (and went 7.2 innings).

Meanwhile, throw out Batista's first inning and he WAY out-pitched Schilling, who didn't have one of his best outings. Trouble for the Jays looked like--over the weekend, anyway--bullpen. I realize their bats had trouble last week, but it appeared they were waking up against the Sox, against tough pitching, too.

The bright spot for the Sox was their bullpen, who had only one real problem child (Bobby Jones) and a pretty nice performance from Malaska-- the big club's only lefty.

If the Sox remain as hobbled by injury as they currently are (possible), the Yankees stay as mediocre as they are (not likely), the Jays will have plenty of opportunity to make some hay.

I think it's not a stretch to suggest that, at the outset, the AL East is damn competitive. If it remains even a three team race, Sox and Yanks will have severely underperformed. That said, it could easily be a four-team race heading into August, I think.

Dave
MountaineerDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2004, 06:12 AM   #15
Bran
Sports Virtuoso

Bran is on a distinguished road

It's interesting when you see aces like Halladay and Schiling pitch a pretty average game, their stuff is still better than most arms out there who have a good game. I was wondering why Francona didn't let Pedro get the final out in the eighth, and I was definitely wondering why he let Jones throw 8 pitches, all for balls, to give the Jays some base runners.

I'd like to see the Jays gain some ground, but with every team in that division improving it'll be tough.
Bran is offline   Reply With Quote