Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge > Politics & Religion

Old 03-28-2007, 11:21 AM   #76
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

CKFresh will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
I believe what was said is that the President may replace all of the US Attorneys at the beginning of his/her term. It is not an absolute. Some are usually retained, some are removed.
The expert was saying that the actions Clinton took were not unique, many other have done the same, whereas Bush's actions are unique, in that no president has done this in the middle of a term. Once again, not fact, I am repeating what I heard on CNN.

Think Fresh.
CKFresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:26 AM   #77
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

As I said, US Attorneys are "at will" employees who may be terminated at any time with or without cause. No criminal activity has been perpetrated by replacing these people.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 11:27 AM   #78
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
All she is saying is that she refuses to answer every question.
No she said she fears incrinimating herself.

Think Fresh.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:30 AM   #79
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

IntheNet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CKFresh View Post
The expert was saying that the actions Clinton took were not unique, many other have done the same, whereas Bush's actions are unique, in that no president has done this in the middle of a term...
Unique does not imply illegal or criminal; it simply means not usual. So what?
Old 03-28-2007, 11:32 AM   #80
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
As I said, US Attorneys are "at will" employees who may be terminated at any time with or without cause. No criminal activity has been perpetrated by replacing these people.
I understand that. You may be correct. But this woman taking the fifth sure doesn't look good, the office of the president was upset by it, and with good reason. Someone will either be fired or put in jail for these firings, you can be sure of that...

Think Fresh.
Old 03-28-2007, 11:34 AM   #81
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntheNet View Post
Unique does not imply illegal or criminal; it simply means not usual. So what?
I understand, but you asked me why Clinton didn't recieve any attention for doing the same thing. I was simply saying that what Clinton did was normal, what Bush did was unique.

I do not know if there was a crime or not. All I know is that Bush did something that other presidents don't do, and it has caused an uproar. Then you have people refusing to testify our of "fear of incriminating themselves."

All that doesn't look good... That's all I am saying...

Think Fresh.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:04 PM   #82
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

Quote:
All that doesn't look good... That's all I am saying...
Okay... now I am on your side... I'll accept that rationale.

In fairness, however, the attorney general has spoke to this issue, admitted that there were minor issues involved the dismissal of the eight attorneys that he would look into and the issue should have died there.

Unfortunately Democrats took that occasion to start a feeding frenzy on much ado about nothing...

Men and women are dying in a war. Illegal immigrants are raping Americans. Sunspots are damaging our satellites. etc. etc. etc. All these issues, and hundreds more, are more fit matter for Congress to concern itself with...
Old 03-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #83
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
Unfortunately Democrats took that occasion to start a feeding frenzy on much ado about nothing...
IntheNet, I agree, this a political move by the democrats. But please admit, that this is not something the ONLY democrats do. When Clinton was in office, there were more important things to investigate than a BJ, but that didn't stop congress.

Democrats and republicans are guilty of putting party over country at times.

Think Fresh.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:21 PM   #84
IntheNet
Hall of Famer

Quote:
When Clinton was in office, there were more important things to investigate than a BJ, but that didn't stop congress...
I agree.

The "BJ" you mention made good media fare. Clinton could have put a stop to all of it if he admitted it all and went on from there. But we all know how it turned out.

Repubicans and Democrats savage each other; perhaps in equal measure. But we need to put a stop to it when it affects the governance of the nation.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:40 PM   #85
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
The "BJ" you mention made good media fare. Clinton could have put a stop to all of it if he admitted it all and went on from there. But we all know how it turned out.
Agreed. I'm sure if he had it over to do again he would do exactly what you are suggesting. He would saved some of his reputation had he done that.

Quote:
Repubicans and Democrats savage each other; perhaps in equal measure. But we need to put a stop to it when it affects the governance of the nation.
True statement. However I am not optimistic that the good of the nation will ever become number one priority in government again. Partisanship is at an alltime high, I believe, and we need moderates on both sides to take the lead. The people I agree with most are probably not the best candidates right now. My vote will go to the most moderate and some one open to all ideas.

Think Fresh.
Old 03-28-2007, 12:44 PM   #86
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Quote:
No she said she fears incrinimating herself.
No Fresh. She is saying she refuses to answer any and all questions, regardless of the topic. She will not testify, period. It is possible that she fears being caught in a string of questions, asked in "rapid-fire" fashion and that her answers may tend to contradict one another. If you have ever been a witness in a criminal case, you'd understand this is how it goes. The questions come at you very quickly and can be very confusing.
No admission of guilt is to be inferred, nor is any guilt proven by this.
As to moderates on both sides taking the lead, I cannot disagree with this. Partisanship solves nothing. As Steven Stills said in his song "Daylight Again", "When everyone is talking and no one is listening, how can we decide?"

Catman
Old 03-28-2007, 01:00 PM   #87
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
No admission of guilt is to be inferred, nor is any guilt proven by this.
I agree with you here, and I understand that when under oath, you may be caught in a situation where you accidently tell a mistruth that leads to a crime. This is not an admission of guilt, and you make good points. In my opinion however, I think she is affraid she will have to lie in order to protect those above her. She fears being asked about the actions of her superiors, and perhaps her TRUTHFUL answers would implicate someone else in wrong doing.

Again, I could very well be wrong, but this is how it appears to me. And both of you are correct, invoking the fifth is not an admission of any wrong doing, necessarily.

Think Fresh.
Old 03-28-2007, 01:04 PM   #88
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

Perhaps, but is it not possible that no wrong-doing occured at all and that the firings were completely performance based?

Catman
Old 03-28-2007, 01:09 PM   #89
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

Quote:
but is it not possible that no wrong-doing occured at all and that the firings were completely performance based?
Possible, yes.

Think Fresh.
Old 04-09-2007, 04:03 PM   #90
CKFresh
Most Hated Member

For the Newt Gingrich supporters:

Just curious, what do you think now? Newt Gingrich has said that Alberto Gonzales acted in an improper manner with the firing of the attorneys.

Newt Said:
“I think the country, in fact, would be much better served to have a new team at the Justice Department, across the board,”

“This is the most mishandled, artificial, self-created mess that I can remember in the years I’ve been active in public life,” Gingrich said. “The buck has to stop somewhere, and I’m assuming it’s the attorney general and his immediate team.”

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18011007

So, IntheNet, is Newt part of the "fishing expedition?" Does Newt hate America too? Or were the Democrats right all along....

Think Fresh.