Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Community Discussion > The Lounge

Old 09-06-2004, 04:34 AM   #1
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road
Default Two and a half days without....

...a cigarette as I attempt to quit.

Anyone else reading this ever quit? I'm talking about people actually SMOKED, not just had one occasionally while drinking, and decided to stop doing that. I'm talking about a real smoker. How did you do it?

I'm using nicotine lozenges, but I'm thinking of just biting the bullet and chucking them. For one, they are quite nasty. I literally threw up after the first one, and although I can tolerate them now, and they do kill the cravings, aren't I delaying shedding the physical need for nicotine (which I've heard can be licked in as little as 72 hours; the psychological cravings, much longer) if I continue to simply give myself nicotine in a different form?

They also cause hiccups. I hate hiccups.

The directions say (among other things), work the lozenge around in your mouth until it dissolves, and minimize swallowing.

What do you need (that can be found in your mouth) to dissolve a lozenge? Saliva.

What do you get if you work a lozenge around your mouth trying to dissolve it? A lot of saliva.

What does having a lot of saliva entail? A lot of swallowing.

Anyway....In spite of my *****ing, things are going well and I'm confident. I'm looking forward to a lot of things being a non-smoker will get me, such as more energy, more air, the return of my shower-singing voice, my (non-smoking) fiancee not having to be a selfless lil' trooper to kiss me, being more assured of growing to be a fairly old age (It's important that I outlive Poptart in particular )

Another thing helping me (good for laughs as well). Pretending to smoke. Lighting an invisible cigarette with an imaginary lighter and taking a few phantom pulls. REALLY helps, for the obvious psychological reasons. Have to be judicious where I pretend to smoke, however.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 08:56 AM   #2
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Simon attempted to stop smoking a while back. I forget if he was successful or not. I'm sure he'll pop in this thread soon but he's in Vancouver right now.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:40 AM   #3
poptart
Banned

poptart is on a distinguished road

Good luck, Kev.

Hang tough, bro'.

It'll be worth it.
poptart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:43 AM   #4
Ellis
gymnopedist

Ellis has a spectacular aura aboutEllis has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I hope you quit too. My dad smokes and a few of my friends. I have always thought it is nasty and never smoked. I don't even like being in a car when some one is smoking.

How did you get started? I always wounder how these people get start smoking. It seems to me like most people, my age, start because a good friend of there's smokes.
Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 11:37 AM   #5
Dublin Mike
Hating Gators since 1976

Dublin Mike has a spectacular aura aboutDublin Mike has a spectacular aura about

Good luck Kev. My father quit one time, and he used a method very similar to what you were speaking of. He would carry a small cigarette sized twig w/him, and whenever he got the urge, he would pop it in his mouth. Sounds a bit disgusting, i know, but it worked.
Dublin Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 04:57 PM   #6
Brandon
is lurking...

Brandon is on a distinguished road

My dad tried to quit but never could. My Aunt is trying now, and she tried hypnosis along with the gum and everything else. The hypnosis honestly doesn't seem like it's worth it.

Good luck.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 05:59 PM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by ellisismyhero

How did you get started? I always wounder how these people get start smoking. It seems to me like most people, my age, start because a good friend of there's smokes.

There you go. As stupid and incomprehensible as it may sound, it was peer pressure when I was in college.

It's now been about three days. I think I may be turning a corner, but let me not get ahead of myself. I haven't had any of those godawful lozenges today, I think I will only use them again if it's an emergency of sorts.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 07:53 PM   #8
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

I'm one of those weird ones, I smoke occasionally but not addicted. I go through a pack somewhere between 2 weeks and a month; have to keep them in the freezer so they stay somewhat fresh.
I just like to have one or three if I'm drinking and hanging out with some friends, other than that, it just doesn't cross my mind.
ya hate me dontcha kevin....
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:13 PM   #9
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Never smoked, never had the slightest desire to. I don't give a damn who is doing it, I don't want the horrid effects, both to your body and your wallet, that smoking brings. Best way to quit is to not start. But I admire your effort, Kevin, and keep it up. Keep posting in this thread if you need encouragement. You can do it, and your body will thank you!
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2004, 10:30 PM   #10
Slinky
Gilbert Arenas

Slinky is on a distinguished road

I can't "legally smoke yet" so I'll tell you in a couple of years if I quit successfully, but my dad did. Because cigarettes got to expensive, lol.
Slinky is offline   Reply With Quote