Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 02-05-2003, 12:10 PM   #1
Sports Virtuoso

#47 is on a distinguished road
Default posted this link for opinions.........

I have my opinion, of course I'm a parent of 3 kids, I'm more interested in what others may think also. I did not post this because it involves USC, just more for a topic of conversation.

http://www.insidevc.com/vcs/vcpreps/...723351,00.html
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.

Last edited by #47; 02-05-2003 at 12:17 PM.
#47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 12:13 PM   #2
Heathen
Don't call it a comeback

Heathen is on a distinguished road

The link does not work...

tumblr | twitter
Heathen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2003, 12:19 PM   #3
Sports Virtuoso

OK, I edited and repsoted the link above, it works now...........thanx Heathen.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 02-05-2003, 02:16 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Wow, this is a weird situation. I've seen some strange things close to signing day, but this one is up there. I've always said that if you want a safety net, and football doesn't work out for some reason for you, and God forbid you might have to get a regular job, schools in the midwest and California are your best bets. Miami and Florida St. are completely minor league football teams, not universities for these kids. I will admit that it seems like the schools in the midwest and California have shown a little more of this attitude in recent years, but aren't nearly as bad as Florida St. and Miami.

Think about it, how often in your life do you run into people who are professionals that went to Miami or Florida St? I never have. I can only speak for myself and my experience, but these schools are minor league football teams to me. My journeys in life have taken me through Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania, California, Maryland, and Nevada. I have met people from all these places who have gone to Big Ten schools or California schools ( alot of people from UCLA, Texas, and a ton from Penn St. now that I think about it). Never have I met anyone or heard of anyone who went to Miami or Florida St. I'm not saying these people don't exist, it's just they are few and far between from my experience.

And what does it say about what kind of schools that Penn St., Texas, and UCLA are? Well, these are big time college sports schools, and yet a few doctors, teachers, and other professionals have managed to graduate too !!!!!!

Again, I'm not saying Miami and Florida St. don't actually have graduates. All I'm saying is this. If I had a kid who was a football star, they would ONLY go to a school that I thought would prepare them for a life AFTER football. Miami and Florida St. would not make the grade to me. Hell, I'd rather have him go to Michigan !!!...LOL. They are great football school, AND a great academic one as well.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 11:06 AM   #5
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Good article. It's good to see a parent stepping in like that and being so active in the recruiting process, but I think she might be going too far with not signing the letter of intent. The minor-league football team analogy with FSU and Miami is a great one.

Also its not like she is forcing him to go to schools like Stanford or Northwestern, USC is a good school both in academics and football.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 11:15 AM   #6
digital7
Deep South

digital7 is on a distinguished road

yeah, defenitely a good article to read. Good analogy too. That's what Miami and FSU basically are ...
digital7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2003, 01:41 PM   #7
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, I may have stereotyped a little there, but it just seems true, doesn't it? At my old job, I had to give small seminars to people in the education field ( teachers and administrators and the such) and I would always ask everyone their name and where they went to school first. And I never got anyone who came from Miami or Florida St. Grant it, I never got anyone from say North Dakota St., but you get my point. Alot of history teachers and especially physical education teachers were college athletes, and even out of that bunch, never anyone from down there. Again, I got a lot of Penn St. , Texas, UCLA, and then a decent size of Big Ten, Pac Ten, and Big 12 schools. Mind you, I held this job in both California and Nevada, so that is a good mixture of locals and the people who flocked west in the last two decades.
Old 02-07-2003, 10:09 AM   #8
Sports Virtuoso

Well he ended up signing at USC, which on paper looks good for the Trojans and normally I would be very happy that he is there. Getting 2 of the top WR's in the country sounds real good.

But.

If his heart isnt really there as far as being a Trojan, I dont want him. Hopefully it will all work out, but I'm skeptical at this point.

As for his mom and her decision. I think in most cases you have to let the kids decide where they want to go, but the parent also knows her kid better them we do. And in this case there are obvious concerns from mom about the maturity and indiviuality of her son. It is well known he has had some problems, specifically academic, and mom may feel she needs to be close to him to help him make the right decisions. Even lewis's coach said he there is no guarantee that Lewis will make the right decisions in LIFE, much less football. I think mom was right in stepping in, in this situation.

A side note to this. He very well may not be suiting up at SC next year anyway. As of right now he has not qualified for admittance into SC, nor has he achieved the SAT scores he needs to meet SC's eligibility requirements.

I would be surprised if he did don a USC uniform next year.

'78............only 6 Rose Bowl titles..........ummmmm 20 here......lol.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.

Last edited by #47; 02-07-2003 at 10:16 AM.
Old 02-08-2003, 12:35 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

#47... You have to remember that before the PAC 10-BIG 10 Alliance in the Rose Bowl that started in 1947, going to a bowl game was practically unheard of for the likes of Michigan and Ohio St. We didn't believe in bowls and the old generation thought a game played after the Ohio St.-Michigan game was an act against God ! In fact from 1902 ( first year of Rose) until 1947 ( first year of alliance) Ohio St. played in only ONE bowl game, the 1920 Rose Bowl. Michigan didn't play in any in that time span. How could we get to Pasedena in 1902, there were no planes !

Not to take anything away from USC and their domination of the Rose before then, but since the 1947 Alliance the stats go like this...

APPEARANCES... USC 19....OHIO STATE 12
WINS IN ROSE... USC 12.. OHIO STATE 5

Hey, you're still dominating, it's just not as bad...LOL. Damn I hate USC AND MICHIGAN !

Plus, the Big 10 has been a much stronger conference historically, from top to bottom then the Pac 8 and later Pac 10. Since 1947, there have been 9 National Champions ( 4 different teams...Michigan, Ohio St., Minnesota, and Michigan St.) from the Big 10. There have been just 6 in comparison from the Pac 10 in that time ( and 5 of those were the Trojans and one UCLA ) Add to the fact that there were only 8 teams in the Pac conference for a number of years while 10 played in the Big Ten. Even now it is 11-10, Big Ten with the edge, in total teams.

I think you have to take into consideration the fact that Ohio St. never even thought of bowls as an option until the alliance of 1947. Even then, If the Bucks didn't make the Rose, they went to no other bowl, which really hurts us when it comes to all time wins and bowl wins. But I liked this philosophy, if we can't go to Pasedena to hell with it ! I also think that my points above also give this situation a little more perspective.

Having said that, USC is a great program and on the level of Ohio St. and deserves nothing but respect for what they've done over the years. They lead Ohio St. in total Rose Bowl appearances before and after the alliance.

I just hope I live long enough to see Ohio St. overtake them in total Rose Bowl wins ! Currently, we are down 56-37 against Michigan, so it looks like I am going to the grave with those guys from Ann Arbor winning, damn them !
Old 02-11-2003, 11:27 AM   #10
Sports Virtuoso

Very true '78. One amendment, Washington shared the NC with Miami in '91.

Now its not my fault you guys were afraid to come to the Rose before '47. Teams like Tennessee, Penn State, Pitt and Duke all came out and got there medicine................lol.

Only joking.

But as far as living long enough to see OSU overtake SC in Rose wins, you better find that fountain of youth..................and if you do let me know where its at, I have been to St. Augustine many times, but I still seem to be getting older, so I think the info I got that it was there................was wrong............lol.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 02-11-2003, 02:05 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

LOL...Yeah, it does look like my Bucks won't get to even the score against your Trojans. I am pretty excited about both schools looking like they've turned the corner,and are ready to embark on an era of great football again. It would be wonderfull to see them do battle in the Rose a couple more times in the coming years.

I'll tell you this much #47, if the BCS somehow takes away an Ohio St.-USC Rose Bowl in the near future, I will ABSOLUTEY LOSE IT ! It was bad enough we didn't go to Pasedena this year, but atleast we only missed out on Wash. St.

Again, before 1947, playing a game after the Michigan-Ohio St. game was just unheard of. And like I stated before, if we couldn't go to Pasedena, we didn't go to any bowl, cause it wasn't up to the Rose's standards. I LOVED this attitude of my Buckeyes, although we eventually gave in cause of money of course and so on and so forth.

On another note #47, how bad do you guys hate Michigan? Is the hate for Ohio St. the same for Michigan ? USC vs. Michigan has occured in 6 Rose Bowls, with the Trojans leading all time 4-2. See, I'm not too sure how special the USC-Michigan match up is in comparison with the USC-Ohio St. one, because 2 of those 6 Michigan-USC Rose Bowls were in 1989 and 1990, which aren't that long ago. Plus, we all know the glory and the history of the Ohio St.-USC era of football which was the late 60s and all of the 70s.Oh well, what's your thoughts on it #47?
Old 02-11-2003, 05:49 PM   #12
Sports Virtuoso

'78 Michigan is not thought of in the same breathe of any potential rivalry as Ohio State.

Probably because we have only played Michigan 8 total times, 6 times in the Rose bowl, that means we have only played twice in the regular season.

Ohio State on the other hand we have played 21 times, including 14 regular season match ups.

So there is just so much more history between SC and OSU.
33-1, the last 34 gms.
Heisman #6.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:58 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Thanks for clearing it up. I've always wondered about that. I knew it wasn't as big as USC-Ohio St., but since Michigan is equal to both schools in prestige, history, and glory, I thought maybe there was atleast a little bit of a rivalry there.

Ohio St. and USC have always made an effort to meet in the regular season over time, although the last meeting was in 1990 and the next won't be until 2008 I believe. Like I said, hopefully we can get a few Rose Bowl match ups in before then.