Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Collegiate Sports Discussion > College Football

Old 06-05-2003, 03:39 PM   #1
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road
Default Rick Neuheisel in hot water.

Eustachy and price were fired for doing legal things. This is (technically) illegal.

http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2003/0605/1563467.html
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 04:32 PM   #2
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

I don't forsee Neuheisel getting fired for this gambling issue, but Rick has had his share of minor violations as the article stated.

It said in the article that this was among friends, which did not involve bookies etc.. I really hope that the University of Washington, and the NCAA does not blow this out of proportion and fire Neuheisel.

I agree Neuheisel should have known better, but I don't deem this illegal act enough to warrant a firing of a head coach. Maybe I am being to light on Rick here, what does everyone else think?

I can remember when Neuheisel first hit the coaching scene at Colorado. ABC and other networks did stories on him and how he recruited players, and I said to myself this guy is bound for trouble. Now 50 minor violations later at Colorado, now a few more while at Washington, plus this gambling deal, trouble has definitely struck Neuheisel.

Joey
Old 06-05-2003, 04:45 PM   #3
tigereyes33
War Damn Eagle!!!!

tigereyes33 is on a distinguished road

I hope that he is not fired, this is stupid, everyone bets on the NCAA tournement. The betting wasn't even in his own sport. He didn't shame the University at all by this, so it shouldn't be a big deal.
tigereyes33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 05:55 PM   #4
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

I guess I think *firing* him may be extreme, but I think some sort of discipline (perhaps a fine), may be in order. After all, this is a clear, explicit infraction against NCAA rules. What really gives me pause is the amount. He put up *5,000?* and won 20k? This is not your brother's office pool, guys. This is practically high rollin'.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 06-05-2003, 06:13 PM   #5
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

MountaineerDave is on a distinguished road

Kevin's right here. This is big time. May have been a personal pool, but, without knowing Washington laws, still probably illegal. Remember, gambling, at any level, with anyone, is technically illegal, unless you're doing your gambling in a legal place, or through legal methods. At least, for the most part. Every state is different. But, in most states, pools, even office pools, are illegal if money is turned over. Is it a dumb law? Someone else can answer that.

I think where this differs a bit from Eustachy and from Price is the fact that they went out and publicly performed acts that put them in a poor light, and by extension, the school's reputation is tarnished by this.

There is the tricky question of whether the NCAA can take such an action that Washington has no other choice but to fire him, like suspending him from being NCAA associated for a year, or the like. I doubt the NCAA has that power, but... maybe they do. I don't know. They never laid the smack-down on Harrick for being a scuz and breaking almost every NCAA regulation on the books. So it seems unlikely there's much they could do to Neuheisel.

Dave
Old 06-05-2003, 09:46 PM   #6
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

I don't think this is grounds for firing him. If he was betting on college football, then it would be a different story, but this is basketball. Why don't they just fire someone for getting a cavity? What's next?
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2003, 09:59 PM   #7
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

I don't think they should fire him either. I'm just saying, $5,000 isn't chump change, and to win that type of money in an illegal activity is worth some discipline, particularly since he has to abide by NCAA rules and bet on NCAA games. Personally, I don't think they should have fired Eustachy or Price either, but they HAD to be fired....no way would they be able to effectively recruit again. Parents likely won't care as much about giving their kids over to a high-stakes gambler as they would to a carouser, to be frank.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
Old 06-05-2003, 10:20 PM   #8
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Great point, Kevin. And with a frightening number of parents (any number greater than zero is a frightening number) only concerned about whether the coach in question will play their boy, and whether or not that coach has been successful getting kids into the NFL, the image isn't as important as the final result.

Dave
Old 06-06-2003, 03:53 PM   #9
Erickson
Feed Your Niner Addiction

Erickson is on a distinguished road

It is not illegal to gamble in state of WA. But it is illegal to gamble in the NCAA regardless of sport. Look to Neuheisel to be fired. Talk here in Portland has his replacement pretty much in place. On local radio they have been talking to Seattle people, and they all say he is gone. Rumors are interim head coach will be OC Kevin Gilbertson.

"Now that's a REAL shame when folks be throwin' away a perfectly good white boy like that."
Erickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2003, 06:12 PM   #10
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Seems like Neuheisel has decided that if he's going to lose his job, he's taking UW with him by releasing today an email that states UW's gambling policy, which makes his position reasonably defensible. Whether UW's policy jives with the NCAA I don't know, but if not, UW is likely in serious hot water, and likely to suffer some sort of sanction...

What an ass.

Dave
Old 06-09-2003, 06:45 PM   #11
I OWN THIS
The True Titan

I OWN THIS is on a distinguished road

Dave, I read that today on ESPN as well, and Rick has more than a leg to stand on at this point. If the University is saying what was Rick thinking when he gambled, one has to think what was the University doing sending out that email. Is that an email that every college sends out before NCAA basketball tournaments, so that coaches and players are aware of possible violations?

Joey
Old 06-09-2003, 09:53 PM   #12
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

If it is indeed true that it was within their gambling policy, then I don't see how they could fire him. I personally think he should keep his job, especially now.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:21 PM   #13
MountaineerDave
Where am I?

Well, there are couple new issues, here, Marc. If the university policy is actually in direct opposition to NCAA rules, the university's athletics department is likely to suffer. How exactly is something I'm no good at determining. Maybe a simple fine. Maybe bowl-lessness. Who knows?

The question for UW then becomes: This guy just screwed the university to get the rest of his contract. Why the hell should we keep him on? Fire him for making publice private correspondence. Or, just fire him for being a failure. He's done next to nothing for the program but create trouble by committing recruiting violations, lying about interviewing, lying about gambling. I mean, for heavens' sake! The coaches' affiliation censured him for not being contrite after his recruiting violations at Colorado were reviewed and punished. He's a scourge of a person and not college coaching material. We ARE getting to the point, at this moment, where a coach's off-field behavior as well as on-field performance matter when considering keeping or firing. If I were the AD, I'd have fired him on Friday, and I would have been happy doing it.

The program is in a downward slide, and he's the one dragging it down. All she would have to say...

Dave
Old 06-10-2003, 04:15 PM   #14
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

I also have to wonder why it took FOUR DAYS for him to release this email. If I found myself in this situation, I would've said "Hey, I thought I was allowed!" and started waving that email around within four MINUTES of the accusations).

Clearly, the email sets down guidelines that ARE in violation of the NCAA, so the school is gonna get punished.

Old 06-10-2003, 06:20 PM   #15
chevy706
Grizzled Veteran

chevy706 is on a distinguished road

In response to Kevin's high roller statement, I agreed with you at first, but thought about it for a couple minutes, and have to disagree.

I don't know what Neuheisel makes a year, but most NCAA coaches of major Div 1-A schools make a boatload. I'll guess at close to $2 mil a year for Neuheisel. That being said, $5,000 is not much in comparison to how much he makes. Would you call somebody who makes $200,000 a year betting $500 a high roller? What about the guy who makes $20,000 spending $50 on an office pool? Quite frankly, this is a pittance to rival when big named NFLers get slapped with $10,000 fines for illegal hits. Not really much of a loss at all.

Should Neuheisel be fired over this? I doubt it. If you want to fire him, do it because he's "failing" at his job, don't use this as an excuse.
chevy706 is offline   Reply With Quote