Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 06-15-2006, 05:06 PM   #1
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough
Default 2006 State of the Cap

http://nbadraft.net/2006stateofthecap.asp

Nice feature by the folks at nbadraft.net that describes how the situation is for every team's payroll.

If you're a Knicks fan, you may want to skip this.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:09 PM   #2
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road

If you're a Knicks fan, you may want to give Isiah a pair of cement shoes and chuck him in the Hudson.

Nice link!
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2006, 05:37 PM   #3
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Good read. My Pistons are a few million under and keeping their starters together means the bench is lacking, which I found true. I wish they would trade Rasheed for some more youth, but he has a hefty contract. They need to upgrade their bench and get a backup for Prince.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:58 AM   #4
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

I like the Magic's chances to get back in the playoffs next year - Howard & Nelson have been great, Darko's contributing, and the team is coming off a hot 11 of 14 win streak to close out last season.....
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 06:14 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

The Magic may be the team to beat in the East in '07-'08. Grant Hill and Tony Battie's contracts come off the books after next season just in time for the bumper crop of free agency due next summer. They will still have Howard, Nelson, Turkoglu, and Arroyo under contract and Milicic may be a good player by then as well. Rumor has it the Orlando is trying to move up to secure Shelden Williams in the draft.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2006, 11:58 PM   #6
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

How is Milicic going to fully develop if he's stuck behind Howard? They aren't goin' to bench Battie with that contract...are they?
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 04:30 AM   #7
Shawndo
Sports Virtuoso

Shawndo is on a distinguished road

Nice link Kenny!!!! Gotta slap you on the back for that one... good read!

My comments:

Lakers- if I pray every night for the next year, will the NBA Gods smile on us again and send Kevin Garnett our way through some pseudo-miracle?? Do I dare even hope??

Kings- Dear Maloofs, your mission this summer: KEEP BONZI WELLS, whatever it takes! That is all.

Heat- Don't overhaul them again! Let this team continue to gel.

Suns- WOW... WC Finals without Amare... You have to wonder if this team is headed for the Finals next year.. wouldn't surprise me.

Pistons trade Rasheed, Marc? He's at least entertaining... between him and Ben, I don't mind watching the Pistons play..
Shawndo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2006, 10:05 AM   #8
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78
How is Milicic going to fully develop if he's stuck behind Howard? They aren't goin' to bench Battie with that contract...are they?
If Darko builds upon what he did when the Magic got him last year he will take minutes away from Battie. He was the more productive player and the team's best shot blocker over the last two months of the season. If Milicic continues to improve Battie will be the odd man out in Orlando next year.

KG will not end up in LA next year unless they give up Kobe in the deal and that ain't happening. Even if they could land KG they would have to gut the rest of the team to do it to the point where you are left with Kobe, KG, a bunch of scrubs and no cap real cap flexibility to sign anyone of any real value.

I still think if KG is going anywhere Chicago has the best chance of landing him if they are willing to part with the number two pick and Ben Gordon to start with. The Bulls are far enough under the cap that they would not have to include a bunch of throw-ins to make a deal work financially.
Old 06-18-2006, 10:44 PM   #9
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I hope we get KG. I want a 30 year old guy posting declining numbers getting paid $18 million a year.

doublee...

Yea, but do you trade Battie? And can you with that contract? The only way to truly learn and develop is trial by fire. Darko needs all the minutes. This guy has been "developing" almost as long as Kwame Brown. Ok, perhaps not that long.

KG to Chicago seems like a bad deal for the Bulls IMO. Tyson Chandler has been a bust in my eyes despite his defense and rebounding...especially when you consider his fat contract. Try to move him out, but not for KG. Gordon and Hinrich are becoming quite a duo in that backcourt. Strength and speed AND chemistry. I wouldn't bite on KG.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:37 PM   #10
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

The thing with Darko though is he never, ever, got a fair shake in Detroit and the first opportunity he gets to play significant minutes in Orlando and he shows that he is not the stiff he was made out to be in Detroit. We already know that Battie is a stiff, but the jury is still out to a degree with Milicic which is why he'll get the benefit of the doubt over Battie. I suspect they will try and trade Battie if they land another frontcourt guy as they are rumored to be trying to do via the draft.

The major difference between Kwame and Darko is Kwame got thrown to the wolves right away and played significant minutes whereas Darko had toiled in complete obscurity in Detroit until he got moved to Orlando.

I am not saying the Bulls should go after KG just that they seem like the logical choice if KG does get moved. With Chandler being a bust offensively the Bulls need a post presence of some sort. The Bulls would not need to make a trade for a someone if they are smart enough to take Aldridge over Tyrus Thomas. Thomas impresses me as another Tyson Chandler.
Old 06-18-2006, 11:59 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

It wasn't like Darko didn't get a fair shake due to some weird circumstances. He was behind better guys on a team goin' for titles. That's all.

Not having all the numbers in front of me, I'd agree with you that if KG gets moved... Chicago makes sense. But I wouldn't give up Gordon or Hinrich for it. Move one of the young SFs (Deng or Nocioni), Chandler, Harrington, and someone else (keep that Songaila kid...he ain't that bad).

Sweetney
KG
Deng/Nocioni
Gordon
Hinrich

Definitely keep Duhon as well. Like we've been talkin' about with these new hand checkin' rules...speedy guards are goin' to be a premium.

I can't believe we're talkin' about this junk with the drama goin' on right now in Miami...LOL.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:47 PM   #12
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

You are right about Darko's playing time, but trading him for Kelvin Cato (who was hurt at the time) in the middle of the season and giving Jason Maxiell more playing time than Darko does not exactly speak volumes to the team's confidence in Darko's ability to play in the NBA. Ultimately, it was more the fans and the media that never really gave him a fair shake.

Not moving Gordon would be preferable, but there were some rumors that he was not too terribly happy in Chicago during the season and he is going to be at the top of any team's wishlist that Chicago talks to this offseason.

I don't know who I would move between Nocioni and Deng. Skillwise Deng is the better player and is showing signs of potentially being a lockdown defender in the near future. But, every team needs a guy like Nocioni who brings energy to the floor, is willing to scrap for the ball, and is willing to do the little things it takes to win.

I'd hang onto Duhon as well. He is a good on-the-ball defender, doesn't make stupid turnovers, and has been a better scorer than most thought he would be.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:04 AM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

48 minutes of Hinrich and Duhon as they gain more experience= nightmare for opponents.

I personally liked Deng's game a little better in that Miami series. I think their contracts, years left, and age are pretty much similar so you can't decide by that.

I didn't hear that about Gordon. Interesting. Do you think the Bulls are goin' to automatically take Aldridge or Thomas? If you can trade Gordon for an established, quality low post scorer why not do that and pick up Marvin Williams or that kid from the U of Washington? The way the game is goin' doublee...I don't think you can have too many speedy guards.

Wow. Bulls are nearly $23 million under the cap. Look at what they did to Miami and they have the #2 pick. Lot to love if you love the Bulls.
Old 06-20-2006, 01:13 AM   #14
Tarkus
The Thread Stalker

Tarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura aboutTarkus has a spectacular aura about

Quote:

Wow. Bulls are nearly $23 million under the cap. Look at what they did to Miami and they have the #2 pick. Lot to love if you love the Bulls.
You mean lot to love if you're born into servitude like us Bulls fans are...

Gordon may have to go with Skiles stayin' put. Gordon's a liability on D but due to his heroics, expects to be on the floor more while Skiles plays who's makin' it happen. Hate to see Gordon go cuz I still believe Skiles will lose this team's ear probably in the next year & be hittin' the bricks...
Old 06-20-2006, 10:40 PM   #15
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
I personally liked Deng's game a little better in that Miami series. I think their contracts, years left, and age are pretty much similar so you can't decide by that.
Oh, no, Nocioni is quite a bit older than Deng is. Nocioni is 26 and Deng is only 21. I think Deng is the more skilled player but Nocioni brings some of those intangibles to the table that Deng does not have just yet.

Quote:
I didn't hear that about Gordon. Interesting.
Yeah, a couple of months in he started popping off in the media that if the Bulls weren't going to start him then they may as well trade him. But, that has died down for the most part since Skiles started putting him in the lineup.

Quote:
Do you think the Bulls are goin' to automatically take Aldridge or Thomas?
Unless they move someone like Gordon, Nocioni, or Deng then yes I do. Taking a guy like Roy, Morrison, or Gay would be pretty pointless when you already have five quality perimeter guys in Gordon, Nocioni, Deng, Hinrich, and Duhon and your acknowledged weakness is interior scoring and not having another quality rebounder to pair with Chandler. Tyson Chandler averaged 26.8 minutes per game last year and that was tops in the frontcourt and Songalia and Sweetney are little more than role players right now and just don't have the size to compete with the larger low post players in the league.

Also, from what I read today Thomas cancelled a scheduled workout with Portland and the speculation is that Chicago has told him he is their guy.

Quote:
If you can trade Gordon for an established, quality low post scorer why not do that and pick up Marvin Williams or that kid from the U of Washington? The way the game is goin' doublee...I don't think you can have too many speedy guards.
Sure, but then there comes a point where you don't have enough minutes to go around and then guys start moaning about not getting enough playing time.

The problem with trying to trade Gordon for an established low post scorer is that low post scorers are like pitchers in baseball, once you get a good one you don't trade them away and speedy guards who can score 15-20 ppg are a dime a dozen these days.