Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 01-06-2009, 11:39 PM   #16
The Running Man
Banned

The Running Man is on a distinguished road

You are missing the point. Favre would be there as the insurance policy until Brady returns. I would like to think that option would be much cheaper than franchising a decent QB who couldn't even lead his team into the playoffs. If they can't deal Cassell or wait and keep him it could hurt the rest of the team, such as signing/re-signing another player.

I just keep seeing the Steeler/Patriots game this season in which Cassel was tossed around like a rag doll against the #1 D...
The Running Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 01:36 AM   #17
Steve
Registered Loser

Steve is on a distinguished road

Cassel in the second year of McDaniel's offense has the potential to be a consistent, top ten type quarterback. And to call him a QB who couldn't even lead his team into the playoffs is ridiculous, because Cassel played dynamite football down the stretch and the Pats finished 11-5! Favre, meanwhile, played horribly down the stretch and singlehandedly cost the Jets a division championship. I guarantee you, even if they were looking for a cheaper alternative, Belichick wants no part of Favre and they'd have been better off with Derek Anderson or something, anyway.

Plus, if Favre wouldn't back up Rodgers in Green Bay where he's a demigod, why would he take a paycut to whither away in New England?
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:39 AM   #18
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Running Man View Post
You are missing the point. Favre would be there as the insurance policy until Brady returns. I would like to think that option would be much cheaper than franchising a decent QB who couldn't even lead his team into the playoffs. If they can't deal Cassell or wait and keep him it could hurt the rest of the team, such as signing/re-signing another player.

I just keep seeing the Steeler/Patriots game this season in which Cassel was tossed around like a rag doll against the #1 D...
You are aware Favre took home 12.7 mil from the Jets this year right? It is not as though he took a big pay cut to get out of Green Bay this past year. Do you truly believe his ego is going to let him play for significantly less in New England?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 06:46 PM   #19
The Running Man
Banned

The Running Man is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Cassel in the second year of McDaniel's offense has the potential to be a consistent, top ten type quarterback. And to call him a QB who couldn't even lead his team into the playoffs is ridiculous, because Cassel played dynamite football down the stretch and the Pats finished 11-5! Favre, meanwhile, played horribly down the stretch and singlehandedly cost the Jets a division championship. I guarantee you, even if they were looking for a cheaper alternative, Belichick wants no part of Favre and they'd have been better off with Derek Anderson or something, anyway.

Plus, if Favre wouldn't back up Rodgers in Green Bay where he's a demigod, why would he take a paycut to whither away in New England?
Terrific down the stretch against teams such as the Seahawks, Raiders, Cardinals, Bills... wow. The Patriots went 1-4, against playoff teams in the regular season.

It didn't seem as if anyone wanted a part of the likes of Randy Moss or Corey Dillon and they seemed to do well. Heck, Moss's career looked as if it were over, now he holds the record for TD's in a season. Farve can still play well, but not for the whole season. That is why he'd be the perfect fit in New England to keep the QB seat very hot for Brady's return.

He would have to consider that pay cut you speak of because of the basic desire of all competitors to win it all.
The Running Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2009, 09:54 PM   #20
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Running Man View Post
Terrific down the stretch against teams such as the Seahawks, Raiders, Cardinals, Bills... wow. The Patriots went 1-4, against playoff teams in the regular season.
Yep, and Favre went 1-4 down the stretch losing to such stalwarts as Denver, San Francisco, and Seattle. Lest we not forget the loss to the Raiders as well.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:36 AM   #21
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
No contest. Cassel over Favre by a landslide.

But what if the choice is giving up a #1 and then some for Cassel, vs. nothing for Favre if the Jets release him?
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 02:36 AM   #22
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
But what if the choice is giving up a #1 and then some for Cassel, vs. nothing for Favre if the Jets release him?
That depends... Obviously with Cassel you are getting a young QB to run your system for years.

The Jets did the "Favre thing" this year, where you basically make a run for the SB... If you take Cassel, you know it may take a couple years to get your team in place, and set for a run. You take Favre, you are goijng for it that year. Jets went for it, and lost bigtime... They could not have been more lucky grabbing Favre and then watching Brday go down 4 minutes into the season... and somehow Miami walks away with the division (and then gets embarrassed in the playoffs)... this was just a disaster season for Favre and Jets IMO.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:27 AM   #23
Anthony

How about Favre goes to Detroit - so they can do the same thing with Matthew Stafford that the Bengals did with Carson Palmer - the Lions go 8-8, and they don't even wait and see how the remaining 990 seasons turn out and name Jim Schwartz Coach of the Millennium right then and there?
Old 01-21-2009, 10:24 AM   #24
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Except Favre is only interested in playing for a team that has a legit shot at winning. The only way he suits up in Detroit is if they pay him like $20 million to play next year.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:05 PM   #25
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

Do you think any teams will consider starting their rookie QB's after seeing the success of Matt Ryan?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:50 AM   #26
Anthony

Everyone will be singing an entirely different tune about Matt Ryan a year from now, after the huge jump in strength of schedule the Falcons are taking in '09 has kept their no-two-winning-seasons-in-a-row curse intact and they finish 7-9.

And if I were a 49ers fan I'd root my lungs off for Pittsburgh in the Super Bowl (I'll be doing so anyway even though I'm not one) - since if the Steelers do win, that puts the Cardinals on the business end of the Super Bowl Runner-Up Jinx, and if they don't win the NFC West next year, it almost has to be the 49ers who do; not only that, but with the NFC East having about a Category 2 hurricane blowing in its face next year courtesy of the schedule, and the NFC South a flat-out Category 5, the NFC West winner has a better-than-even shot at a first-round bye.
Old 01-22-2009, 03:47 AM   #27
boston_aloha
FFB #2

That's totally beside the point man... I was asking if because if his success this year if teams will think about starting other rookie QB's.

But hey, regardless of next year's sched I think Matt Ryan really made a name for hiself this season.
Old 01-22-2009, 05:23 AM   #28
Anthony

Mark Sanchez seems to be getting overlooked in all this.

It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being more productive in the NFL than either Stafford or Bradford.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:19 AM   #29
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by boston_aloha View Post
Do you think any teams will consider starting their rookie QB's after seeing the success of Matt Ryan?
It depends on the circumstance and what the other options available are. Ryan ended up the starter mostly because the other options were Chris Redman and D. J. Shockley and Ryan outplayed the both of them to win the job in camp. It is not like he was simply handed the job the instant he signed his contract.

Joe Flacco basically ended up winning the job by default once Boller and Troy Smith got hurt in camp and were not healthy enough to go the last couple of weeks of preseason and into the regular season. Troy Smith was penciled in as the starter until he got sick and was out of action for a month and unable to go opening day.

A team like the Chiefs who might take a QB in the draft might sit their guy for a year and let Damon Huard or Tyler Thigpen start for another season.
Old 01-22-2009, 09:38 AM   #30
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony View Post
Mark Sanchez seems to be getting overlooked in all this.

It wouldn't surprise me if he ends up being more productive in the NFL than either Stafford or Bradford.
That would not surprise me either. Stafford has bust written all over him but teams will fall in love with the tangibles but find out he does not have the intangibles it takes to be an elite QB. Jeff George comes to mind.

I think Bradford will be okay just because of his accuracy and his experience in big games but I don't know if he will thrive in a pro style offense.

Once Bradford made his decision Sanchez became a big winner in all of this as he now probably goes top 5 instead of mid-first round and Pete Carroll is fast gaining a reputation of producing NFL caliber QBs.