Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 03-20-2006, 01:10 PM   #1
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about
Default If you ever thought athletes were selfish...

Here's a good reason why they should be:
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2376683
I'm not happy posting a thread against my favorite team, but...
I like Wily Mo... but here Arroyo takes a pay cut to stay in Boston, and they how do they thank him? They dump him. I understand this is a business, but as a fan, this type of stuff just pisses you off.
Quote:
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- The Boston Red Sox traded right-handed pitcher Bronson Arroyo to the Cincinnati Reds for outfielder Wily Mo Pena on Monday.
Arroyo was 14-10 with a 4.51 ERA last season. He was part of a deep group of Red Sox starters and had taken a home-team discount when he signed a three-year contract worth $11.25 million on Jan. 19.
Pena batted .254 with 19 homers and 51 RBI last season and struck out 116 times with 20 walks. A 24-year-old right-handed hitter, he could play right field instead of lefty Trot Nixon when left-handers pitch against Boston.
Arroyo had career highs last year with 14 wins, 32 starts and 205 1/3 innings pitched.
In the past four seasons, Pena batted .248 with 51 HR and 134 RBI with the Reds.
Old 03-20-2006, 03:30 PM   #2
NY Jay 05
East Coaster

NY Jay 05 is on a distinguished road

Seems like a pretty fair trade, although I can see why you're upset. The Reds rotation definitley needed some help, and Arroyo is good addition.

2005 NFL Pick 'Em Champion
NY Jay 05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2006, 05:03 PM   #3
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I welcome Wily Mo... but geez... I guy takes a pay cut to stay w/ the org. and this is how you treat him? No one else will ever do that again.
Old 03-20-2006, 06:50 PM   #4
davematthews3
Fast Food Brother #3

davematthews3 is on a distinguished road

I think the Redsox made a mistake here. As a yankee fan I respected and hated Arroyo because of his ability they have definatly not improved there team with this move.
Ty:I'm not quite sure where they are
davematthews3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2006, 06:43 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Blame his agent for not being shrewd enough to put a clause in the contract that stipulated that he get a payout if he gets traded. Sammy Sosa got 4.5 mil when the Cubs traded him to Baltimore.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2006, 10:23 AM   #6
yonglo32
go seahawks

yonglo32 is on a distinguished road

it's not a good trade for the reds because i think arroyo will not play up to his ability. though he had a few good seasons, he is not worth it for willy mo pena, who is an up and coming prospect, already a star. he will just get better.
NFL: Seattle Seahawks
MLB: Chicago Cubs
yonglo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 02:07 AM   #7
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

What can you say? This is coming from a crappy organization. This is the same organization that said Wade Boggs is crap and Roger Clemens. The Red Sox don't know how to treat their own players with respect.
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote