Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Basketball Association

Old 11-08-2006, 06:43 PM   #1
Hall of Famer

#99 is on a distinguished road
Default Official LA Lakers '06-'07 thread

This one's dedicated to seemingly always the most talked about team in the league. Definitely encouraged by Andrew Bynum's play to start the season and Odom isn't fading into the background now that Kobe is back. But there's a problem in LA: lack of killer instinct.

Last Friday, they blew a 20-point lead against the Sonics, but managed to barely hang on. Same thing happened last night against the lousy T-Wolves. 19-point lead in the 3rd quarter and the Lakers couldn't step on their necks and deliver the death blow.

Things are clicking early on (blow out loss to Seattle aside), but they need to finish teams off when they have them down on the mat. Especially the bad ones.
Sports Again?!
#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2006, 07:59 PM   #2
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

A whole thread for just one team? I don't think that has ever been done before.

Did Kobe put you up to this? Sounds like something he'd do.
buckeyefan78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2006, 02:17 PM   #3
Hall of Famer

Well, with all the talk in the old Thoughts of the Day threads, it seemed like a good 80% of the conversation was on this team, anyway. Take a look at the old playoff threads, too, and see which 1st rounder was the most popular.
Sports Again?!
Old 11-09-2006, 03:07 PM   #4
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

buckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the roughbuckeyefan78 is a jewel in the rough

I was just takin’ a shot at Kobe.

Anyway, Lakers lost again last night. 2-0 without #24 and 2-2 with #24. Trade him…trade him now!

Bynum: 11.2 PPG, 7.2 RPG, 65% FG. Plus he’s getting it in only 21 minutes a game. DEFINITELY keep him there and let Kwame ride the pine for $8 million a year.

Defense seems to be a problem in Lakerland…as was the case in 2004-05.
-Giving up 103.7 PPG
-Teams are shooting 36% from downtown on ‘em.
-L.A. averages 19.2 turnovers per game. My first two stats are a direct result of this one.

Pistons come to Staples (ESPN) tomorrow. Detroit looked unfocused and careless last night in Sacramento. They lost at Utah on Monday too. Hopefully their road blues continue.
Old 11-10-2006, 04:42 PM   #5
Hall of Famer

Definitely, defense needs to be addressed still. Portland riding roughshod over us without Brandon Roy is just this side of embarrassing.

Early on, the team is definitely more focused at home and with Detroit still trying to figure out who they are, could be another big game for Bynum in the middle. Rasheed had 0 points against the Kings! Crazy.
Sports Again?!
Old 11-10-2006, 11:22 PM   #6
trayhezy
All-Star Player

trayhezy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by #99 View Post
Definitely, defense needs to be addressed still. Portland riding roughshod over us without Brandon Roy is just this side of embarrassing.

Why is this surprising? Have you seen Zach Randolph play this year. You can ride a stud like that all night against a team with bad defense and he will create plays for the entire team.
until I'm Tiger dead
trayhezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2006, 02:03 PM   #7
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Just read that Chris Mihm is likely done for the year. Despite the promising Bynum, this is a very big loss.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 02:16 PM   #8
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken View Post
Just read that Chris Mihm is likely done for the year. Despite the promising Bynum, this is a very big loss.
I disagree. I hope the whole frontcourt goes down with injury. Let Bynum play 48 every single night. It's the only way we'll ever win.
Old 11-12-2006, 03:03 PM   #9
da12ken
Fast Food Brother #1

da12ken will become famous soon enough

Even Adonal Foyle and DeSagana Diop had their moments in the sun...

You can't teach 7'1, but you can teach how to defend it. Once teams watch tape of the kid, he'll have to adjust his game like everyone else. Right now he's performing (very well I might add) off sheer talent.

Follow all my idiot thoughts from the comfort of your computer.
da12ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 04:01 PM   #10
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by da12ken View Post
I'm with you on this. Bad news. I think the undeniable strength of our frontcourt coming into the year was depth -- that meant having a rotation at the power positions of Mihm, Kwame, Bynum, Turiaf, Odom (if necessary). Say what you will about Bynum's improvement, Mihm's size, rebounding ability, and relative stability in a league where big men are few and far between was crucial. To say that it's no big deal because (after only six games) Bynum is playing well is short-sighted.
Sports Again?!
Old 11-14-2006, 04:42 PM   #11
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
To say that it's no big deal because (after only six games) Bynum is playing well is short-sighted.
No...it's short-sighted to say Mihm is worth having around cuz it will somehow make the Lakers a "better team" when progressing Bynum...perhaps brutally at times...will possibly make them legit contenders. It's their only hope...unless you think Mihm is a better passer out of the triangle on the elbow than the kid is. Bynum isn't getting by on sheer talent. Sheer talent can't hit the cutters on the baseline like he has shown. No. This kid is learning and needs more time.

Kobe shouldn't even be playing right now either. He was useless vs. Detroit and all it does is slow the progress of the others when they can do "ok" in this stretch without him. Let Kobe get to 100% THEN insert him in when he will actually live up to the role he has in this team. He's nothing but a disruption and costing his team confidence.

Phil needs to practice his Zen here and the concept of Nirvana. Only the enlightened will release themselves from the endless cycle of pain and suffering. First you must experience the pain and suffering though. That's why I wanted the Lakers to get the Spurs in the first round last year. They haven't suffered enough and these "band-aid" concepts (pacing Bynum, having Kobe in at 60% or whatever the hell he is) only deny that suffering.

This is Year 3 of the Kobe Era guys. Enough "pacing and growing." Get dirty. Bleed. Make your run.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:42 PM   #12
Hall of Famer

Well, first off, we all know that if Kobe can play, you're not going to be able keep him out of the lineup. SO let's give that a rest, for now.

Secondly, yes, Bynum individually benefits by getting to play more, but this team is stronger with the option of playing Mihm than without. They just are. Playing two big men at a time (be it any combo of Bynum, Kwame, Mihm) is a difficult task for most opponents and when we need to go with a big lineup, we'd be tough to deal with on the glass. And being able to go 9-10 men deep would've given Bynum more freedom to play aggressively because there are six more fouls to go around.

Healthy Mihm or not, we're not a championship team. We're a playoff team, though, and even if you don't like Mihm (which is evident) you have to admit that he's a contributor.
Sports Again?!
Old 11-15-2006, 05:01 PM   #13
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Quote:
Well, first off, we all know that if Kobe can play, you're not going to be able keep him out of the lineup. SO let's give that a rest, for now.

Secondly, yes, Bynum individually benefits by getting to play more, but this team is stronger with the option of playing Mihm than without. They just are. Playing two big men at a time (be it any combo of Bynum, Kwame, Mihm) is a difficult task for most opponents and when we need to go with a big lineup, we'd be tough to deal with on the glass. And being able to go 9-10 men deep would've given Bynum more freedom to play aggressively because there are six more fouls to go around.

Healthy Mihm or not, we're not a championship team. We're a playoff team, though, and even if you don't like Mihm (which is evident) you have to admit that he's a contributor.
I don't think Bynum understands how to control his play yet so the injury situation has no effect on how aggressive he may or may not be.

Bynum is only getting 22 minutes right now. That was without Kwame and Mihm. That means Phil is pacing him anyway. Look...Phil gotta win games so he's not gonna go crazy and put him in for 48 like I said. I know that. I just think the injuries are a blessing cuz it will get us to our ultimate answer quicker: can we win a title?

Mihm just ain't the answer. I don't hate him. Sure he contributes...but to what?

48 wins?

Last edited by buckeyefan78; 11-15-2006 at 07:58 PM. Reason: spelling errors of course!
Old 11-15-2006, 05:47 PM   #14
buckeyefan78
Happy Land

Kobe gettin' sued...LOL...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/6175382
Old 11-15-2006, 07:52 PM   #15
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckeyefan78 View Post
Mihm just ain't the answer. I don't hate him. Sure he contributes...but to what?

48 wins?
I mean, really Buckeye, was Luc Longley ever "the answer?" Mihm's a solid role-player.
Sports Again?!