Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > Major League Baseball

Old 11-06-2001, 08:41 PM   #1
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road
Default It's Official.

It's official: [[Full Story on MLB.com]]

Major League Baseball will become the first professional sport in 104 years to contract (the National League of baseball went from 12 to 8 team sin 1898).

The owners voted overwhelmingly in favor of the contraction of 2 baseball teams, but it's easier said then done.

The player union issues, and what about the owners of the teams that are to be eliminated? They aren't just going to lay down and die. They will require compensation... I mean, MLB just wants to kick them out of their business!!, and what the owners think "compensation" means may be a lot different than the definition of "compensation" that Bud Selig and the league has.

I wouldn't be surprised AT ALL if the 2002 season began later than April 1 because of this.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 12:28 AM   #2
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

I'd like to see Pete Rose as baseball commissioner. He couldn't do any worse than Selig and he might find a way to make some money for those teams by betting against them. lol
Old 11-07-2001, 12:38 AM   #3
Nate
Sports Virtuoso

Nate is on a distinguished road

I don't think this is the right way to "heal" major league baseball. It really suprised me that the Twins should become subject to this. I forsee tons of lawsuits.

Go Colts! Go Boilers! Go Pacers! [[email protected]nspencer]
Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 01:54 AM   #4
catman
Humble MLB Moderator

catman will become famous soon enough

Major League Baseball is under Federal Court order to play a full season in the Metrodome in 2002. This should be a deterant to Mr. Selig's attempt to remove competition for his team, the Brewers. If he wants to improve their market share in the upper midwest, he should do so by improving the play on the field. He just can't believe that the Twins, of all teams, would be able to out-draw his beloved Brewers. Therefore, eliminate them by strong-arming the rest of the owners and failing to look at other alternatives to the problems that baseball is currently facing.

Catman
Rest in Peace, Buck. You were truly a giant among men.
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 02:32 AM   #5
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Default Re: It's Official.

Quote:
Originally posted by SC-Lee
Major League Baseball will become the first professional sport in 104 years to contract (the National League of baseball went from 12 to 8 teams in 1898).
Well, I guess the folks at the Associated Press don't regard either the NFL or NHL as "professional sports," for the former's last contraction occurred when the Brooklyn Tigers (formerly Dodgers, just like the baseball team) folded following the 1944 season (that team, which finished 0-10, was also the last NFL team to go through an entire season without at least tying a game). One could even place the most recent pro football contraction at 1951, when the original Dallas Texans disappeared after one year (even though the franchise was technically declared "inactive" and was revived two years later as the Baltimore Colts - not to be confused with the original Colts of 1950, who moved to Dallas after one season and became the Texans). And the NHL also contracted as recently as 1979, even though officially it was a "merger" - the then-Minnesota North Stars "absorbed" the Cleveland Barons franchise that had initially been the Oakland Seals, then later the California Golden Seals.

Worse yet, the same story that included the above factual inaccuracy also added another one, by identifying the Twins as the last "small-market" team to win a World Series, in 1991.

What? Atlanta (the 1995 winner), with less of a population than Staten Island, is not a small market? Sure, I know Ted Turner may be a trillionaire, but that in no way alters the demographic realities. And if you don't recognize the Braves as such, two years later came the Marlins - and Miami, like Atlanta, also has fewer than half a million residents.

Last edited by Anthony; 11-07-2001 at 08:47 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2001, 08:34 AM   #6
lmanchur.
Sports Virtuoso

lmanchur. is on a distinguished road

Hmmmm... good points, Anthony... come to think of it, I do remember hearing about that "merger" in the NHL, but I can't speak for anything the NFL did.... I was just going by what TheScore told me on TV, and how Selig & the reporters were saying at the press conference today -- that MLB was the "first league in modern professional sports to do something like this."

Guess they lied.
lmanchur. is offline   Reply With Quote