Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

View Poll Results: Are McNabb and the Eagles over-rated??
Over-rated 4 30.77%
Under-rated 1 7.69%
Neither over, nor under-rated 6 46.15%
Eagles suck. 2 15.38%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-21-2004, 06:26 PM   #1
Cubs88
Brett Favre = MVP

Cubs88 is on a distinguished road
Default Eagles were over-rated

Thank you Rush Limbaugh. You were right after all about McNabb being over-rated along with all of the Eagles.

They didn't deserve the playoffs after slopping thru the first half of the season and somehow coming up with some wins.
during the second half, thanks to Brian Westbrook, NOT McNabb, the Eagles played MEDIOCRE, not good, but mediocre football and slid into the playoffs somehow.

Now the Eagles are about to get what they deserve, a nice rebuilding period where McNabb and the Eagles will not even make the playoffs.

Now if anyone tries to comment on how the Eagles beat Green Bay, slap yourself. You know that was the ONE game this postseason that should have been won by the losing team.

Anyone else think about the Eagles this way??
Old 01-21-2004, 06:38 PM   #2
Marc
Administrator

Marc will become famous soon enough

Wow, I'm starting to feel sorry for the Eagles with you (and Anthony) ragging on them. And that's saying a lot because I really hate them.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 07:25 PM   #3
Packers3045
faVRe is my hero

Packers3045 is on a distinguished road

Now, i do hate the eagles a lot but I agree with Cubs, it was not McNabb who carried this team to the playoffs it was all westbrook out of the backfield and on special teams. Rush Limbaugh was right that McNabb was overrated but not because people wanted black QBs to do well.
Old 01-21-2004, 08:40 PM   #4
franky
Lost and Confused

franky is on a distinguished road

It's not a popular belief around here, but I say they are UNDERRATED. They had quite a few injuries this season and still wound up with the best record in the NFC. They have the best record over the past 3 seasons. They are a pretty good team, and would have probably been a better team to match up with the Patriots in the Superbowl. They are the most consistent team in the league the past few seasons. Sure, they have lost 3 straight conference championship, but at least they have got there 3 straight times. Where was Tampa Bay this season? At home watching. Where was Carolina 2 seasons ago? At home watching.

Did I have a point....oh yeah, I think they are pretty good still, and will probably be back a 4th straight season in the playoffs. Carolina will probably not be in the playoffs next season.
franky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 08:54 PM   #5
jnmhayes
Grizzled Veteran

jnmhayes is on a distinguished road

1999; 5-11 (Andy Reid's first season)
2000; 11-5
2001; 11-5
2002; 12-4
2003; 12-4

Can someone define overrated for me?
jnmhayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 09:15 PM   #6
KevinBeane
Sports Virtuoso

KevinBeane is on a distinguished road

Hayes, duh, those 46 wins were FLUKES. We only saw the REAL eagles in the 18 games they LOST. They played sloppy ball all season, and finished with the NFC's top seed because they were LUCKY. 9 wins in a row? Luck, luck, luck.

Man, posts lately are sending my sarcasm readings off the charts.

"I believe in [a] God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings." -Albert Einstein
KevinBeane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2004, 09:25 PM   #7
Packers3045
faVRe is my hero

Quote:
Originally posted by jnmhayes
1999; 5-11 (Andy Reid's first season)
2000; 11-5
2001; 11-5
2002; 12-4
2003; 12-4

Can someone define overrated for me?
records arent everything
Old 01-21-2004, 11:03 PM   #8
HibachiDG
Sports Virtuoso

HibachiDG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Packers3045
records arent everything
Still, this is the best era of Eagles football ever.

McNabb may be overrated, I don't agree with it, but can understand the statement, but he isn't over rated for the reasons Rush gave.

The way I see over rated is when someone rates you really high and you don't fufill expectations. In that sense, are the Eagles over rated? Not too many people picked them to go to the Super Bowl.
HibachiDG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 03:11 AM   #9
Spikedmace
All-Star Player

Spikedmace is on a distinguished road

Does it even matter if a team is overrated or underrated? The main thing is that they still made it to the playoffs. I'm no Eagle fan, but at least McNabb makes that team credible.

Sports is so hypocritical. We have viewers here that state Limbaugh is a racist pig, this and that..... Now cause the Eagles don't make it to the SuperBowl, now Limbaugh is right??

:wtf:
Spikedmace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 04:36 AM   #10
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

While most of the bad press has centered around the wide receivers - and justifiably so - with McNabb also taking considerable heat as well, what about the offensive line, which was tied for third most in the NFL in sacks allowed this year? They may be the most overrated unit on this team (ask Michael Strahan). Of course the total lack of speed (and talent) at wide receiver contributes to many of the sacks, but even so there are a lot of teams out there who do not have particularly fast receivers yet aren't allowing the number of sacks - and injuries to their quarterbacks - that Philadelphia has the last two years.

Even so, the gloom-and-doom assessment voiced by Sal Paolantonio on ESPN Monday night may be misguided. Yes Sal, Troy Vincent, Bobby Taylor and Duce Staley are all likely to leave this spring - but so what? If that happens, it would only free up so much salary-cap space that the Eagles would fall so far below the league's minimum mandated payroll that they will have no choice but to go out and spend - plus Philadelphia drafted three defensive backs in the first two rounds of the 2002 draft (one #1 and two #2s) who should be ready to take over for Vincent and Taylor.

A poll conducted by philly.com - the combined Internet site of the city's two daily newspapers - asked fans whether or not the Eagles should try to get Terrell Owens. The result was 76 per cent yes, 24 per cent no - and what's more, the feeling appears to be mutual, at least according to this article from today's Philadelphia Inquirer. If the majority gets its wish, the 2004 Eagles just might follow in the footsteps of the 1976 Raiders - by winning the conference championship game (and then the Super Bowl) after having lost it three years in a row prior (the schedule favors them over the major contenders in the NFC's other three divisions - and so, as already alluded to, does the salary-cap situation).

Last edited by Anthony; 01-22-2004 at 09:30 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2004, 03:27 PM   #11
Packers3045
faVRe is my hero

The eagles need Terrell Owens desperately. They have no receivers. In the NFC Championship Game, Ricky Manning was his leading receiver until midway through the 4th with 3 interceptions! What does that tell you? T.O. would really be a big help to McNabb.
Old 01-22-2004, 06:23 PM   #12
Cubs88
Brett Favre = MVP

Quote:
Originally posted by Spikedmace

Sports is so hypocritical. We have viewers here that state Limbaugh is a racist pig, this and that..... Now cause the Eagles don't make it to the SuperBowl, now Limbaugh is right??

:wtf:
SpikedDice: Who hit you with the stupid stick. I never said Limbaugh was racist, I said he was right in saying McNabb was over-rated, not for being black, but for taking well-deserved credit from Westbrook.

I still say he is over-rated. If it weren't for Westbrook on Spec. Teams and at RB, McNabb would be absolutely hated(worse than he is now) because there would have been a loss to NY Giants and more slop from McNabb and alot less momentum.

McNabb should be worshipping Westbrook for his hard work and for saving McNabb's sorry A$$.
Old 01-22-2004, 09:52 PM   #13
jonnyboone71923
Grizzled Veteran

jonnyboone71923 is on a distinguished road

I have always liked McNabb. Right now he does appear to be overrated. He prepares tirelessly for each season, yet coming up empty in the conference championship games is hard to swallow. This whole season has been unfortunate starting with McNabb's shaky start and Limbaugh's comment.

I hope he and the eagles can get their act together. They have been to the NFC game three straight years. Being in the playoffs those three years says something about them. Some teams made it to the playoffs one year, then stayed home and watched them the next.

There are those of you who say McNabb is overrated. I have this question for you: would you feel that way if he had led his team to at least one superbowl? I am just interested in your opinions.
jonnyboone71923 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 03:31 AM   #14
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by Cubs88
SpikedDice: Who hit you with the stupid stick. I never said Limbaugh was racist, I said he was right in saying McNabb was over-rated, not for being black, but for taking well-deserved credit from Westbrook.

I still say he is over-rated. If it weren't for Westbrook on Spec. Teams and at RB, McNabb would be absolutely hated(worse than he is now) because there would have been a loss to NY Giants and more slop from McNabb and alot less momentum.

McNabb should be worshipping Westbrook for his hard work and for saving McNabb's sorry A$$.

While I appreciate that this whole Limbaugh matter can stir up a lot of passions on both sides, there is no place for personal attacks on this forum, Cubs88 - and asking another poster who hit him with a stupid stick most definitely qualifies as such. It is also unnecessary to try and get around the censor with "A$$" since that word is not picked up - you can thank Jimmy Carter for that, because when he said that "if (Ted) Kennedy runs, I'll whip his ass" back in 1980, the word became universally acceptable and is no longer bleeped out even on network television as a result. Doing something similar to circumvent the censor for a stronger word that would be picked up by the censor is a violation of our Community Guidelines and can get the person who does it into trouble.

Thanks for your understanding in these matters.

Last edited by Anthony; 01-23-2004 at 05:38 AM.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 11:49 PM   #15
Cubs88
Brett Favre = MVP

My apologies SpkedDice / Anthony. No more personal attacks from me.

There is no such thing as a stupid stick, really.:bash:

JUST KIDDING