Go Back   Sports Central Message Boards > Professional Sports Discussion > National Football League

Old 05-15-2007, 12:34 PM   #1
Anthony

Anthony is on a distinguished road
Question 17-Game Schedule in NFL's Future?

This comes courtesy of Gary Myers in Sunday's New York Daily News:

The NFL is considering a plan to expand the regular season to 17 games, with each team playing one game abroad per season. One possibility is playing four games each year in London, Germany, Canada and Mexico. The NFL has tapped into just about every revenue source in the United States, so it's time to take the money-making machine on the road. Funny that the NFL can find ways to play games in Europe and elsewhere, but can't get a team back in Los Angeles. Then again, let me know when somebody in L.A. complains about not having a team there since the Rams and Raiders left after the 1994 season.
Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 06:15 PM   #2
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

This is so stupid - taking games out of the country is a bad idea.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:03 PM   #3
Kamikaze
Football Maniac

Kamikaze is on a distinguished road

I love the idea of a 17th game. I've always believed the NFL should take away one of the preseason games and add another regular season game. It would eliminate the 8-8 season, which to me was always like a season wasted. Was it a winning season?? Was it a losing season?? Now you would know for sure.

What I don't like is the idea of playing regular season games outside of the states. Football is the only true mainstream American sport left. No one plays it like we do. It is an American icon and should remain so.

And here's an idea. If the NFL is looking for new revenue sources, then how about taking games to some of these states that don't have NFL teams?? I would love to see a regular season game here in Oklahoma, say the Cowboys vs. the Rams??
Kamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 07:10 PM   #4
boston_aloha
FFB #2

boston_aloha has a spectacular aura aboutboston_aloha has a spectacular aura about

I don't like the idea of "neutral sites". We pay for season tickets and deserve our home games.
Old 05-15-2007, 07:30 PM   #5
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
What I don't like is the idea of playing regular season games outside of the states. Football is the only true mainstream American sport left. No one plays it like we do. It is an American icon and should remain so.
It has to be that way unless they are willing to go to 18 games as everyone will start complaining about unfair advantages for the teams that get to play 9 home games and only 8 road games.
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 08:36 PM   #6
Kamikaze
Football Maniac

All i'm saying is that if they go to 17 games, then play that 17th game on a neutral site here in the USA and not overseas.
No one would lose or gain a home game since the 17th game would be played in a city that doesn't currently have a NFL team.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:37 PM   #7
doublee
Sports Virtuoso

doublee will become famous soon enoughdoublee will become famous soon enough

Okay, but is OKC really a neutral site for the Cowboys?
You SU-DIDDILY-UCK Flanders!!
doublee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2007, 10:03 PM   #8
Kamikaze
Football Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by doublee View Post
Okay, but is OKC really a neutral site for the Cowboys?
Probably not, but you're not going to find a 100% neutral site in the country, or perhaps the world for any 2 teams. Someone is always gonna be the favorite.

He'll we play the OK/Texas Red River Shootout game every year in Texas and that sure isn't neutral. Doesn't keep us from kick'in their ass nearly every year.
Old 05-16-2007, 02:04 PM   #9
bama4256
Baseball Fanatic

bama4256 will become famous soon enough

20 games a season would be all right with me.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:36 AM   #10
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamikaze View Post
All i'm saying is that if they go to 17 games, then play that 17th game on a neutral site here in the USA and not overseas.
No one would lose or gain a home game since the 17th game would be played in a city that doesn't currently have a NFL team.

One problem they will run into is that since every team would be acquiring a 17th, neutral-site game, what venue are you going to dump a team like the Lions or the Cardinals on?

One thought is to hold some games at U.S. overseas territories like Puerto Rico, American Samoa and Guam.

But no one has given any thought - at least publicly anyway - as to what type of game the 17th game would be. Well I have: It would obviously be a non-division game within the same conference, assigned by where the teams finished in their division the year before, the number of such games per team being increased from the current two to three. The most plausible scenario is the following:

Prior Year's............................Games Assigned By Position.........................
Division Finish............16-Game Schedule..........17-Game Schedule.............

.......1....................................1-1...............................1-1-2.......................
.......2....................................2-2...............................1-2-3.......................
.......3....................................3-3...............................2-3-4.......................
.......4....................................4-4...............................3-4-4.......................

It can be done in such a way that most pairs of teams in the same division would acquire a 15th common opponent, the only exceptions being that the 1st- and 4th-place teams from the previous season would continue to play only 14 common opponents, as would the 2nd- and 3rd-place teams.

Last edited by Anthony; 05-19-2007 at 02:56 AM.
Old 05-19-2007, 03:03 AM   #11
Kamikaze
Football Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by bama4256 View Post
20 games a season would be all right with me.
Hell, I'd love it if they played year round.

One can dream....
Old 05-19-2007, 03:22 AM   #12
boston_aloha
FFB #2

I want more NFL.. but I hate to see them mess this up.
Old 05-19-2007, 09:55 PM   #13
suedon1970
Sports Chick

suedon1970 is on a distinguished road

Just alternate 8 & 9 home games annually...no biggie...
suedon1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2007, 12:45 AM   #14
Anthony

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedon1970 View Post
Just alternate 8 & 9 home games annually...no biggie...

That's what they did in much of the 1930s and 1940s, when the regular season consisted of 11 games.

Also, the 1982 season was shortened to 9 games, and the 1987 season to 15 games, because of strikes.

But the idea here is to use the additional game for marketing purposes. After all, you can never make enough money, now can you?